Raised in Belfast, she was educated at Trinity College, Dublin, where she took BA and PhD degrees, and won the Patrick Kavanagh Poetry Award in 1990. She has published four collections of poetry: There Was Fire in Vancouver (1996), Between Here and There (2001), The State of the Prisons (2005), and Through the Square Window (2009), the second, third and fourth of which were shortlisted for the T. S. Eliot Prize. After periods living in Japan and New Zealand she now lives in Belfast, where she has been writer-in-residence at Queen's University, Belfast and currently lectures.
Morrissey has a distinctive enrapt style of delivery. She learns her poems by heart and presents them with a crystal sharp vocal intensity that has the power to astonish an audience.
Her collection, The State of the Prisons, was shortlisted for the Poetry Now Award in 2006. In November 2007, she received a Lannan Foundation Fellowship for "distinctive literary merit and for demonstrating potential for continued outstanding work". Her poem "Through the Square Window" won first prize in the 2007 British National Poetry Competition. Her collection, Through the Square Window, won the Poetry Now Award for 2010.
- There Was Fire in Vancouver (Carcanet Press, 1996)
- Between Here and There (Carcanet Press, 2001)
- The State of the Prisons (Carcanet Press, 2005)
- Through the Square Window (Carcanet Press, 2009)
- Parallax (Carcanet Press, 2013)
- "Detailed Biographical Information: Sinéad Morrissey". Lannan Foundation. Retrieved 2008-07-22.
- "The Poetry Society (Through the Square Window)". The Poetry Society. Archived from the original on 2008-04-11.
- "The Poetry Society (The Winner of the National Poetry Competition 2007)". The Poetry Society. Archived from the original on 2008-04-11.
- Sinead Morrissey wins €5,000 'Irish Times' Poetry Now award Irish Times, 2010-03-27.
- Meade, Declan (Winter 2002-2003). "Sinéad Morrissey in interview with Declan Meade". The Stinging Fly 1 (14). Retrieved 2008-08-17.
- McConnell, Gail. "Poetry International Web - Sinead Morrissey". Poetry International Web Foundation. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- Dr Sinead Morrissey' profile at The Queen's University, Belfast
- Profile on ContemporaryWriters.com