Sin Cowe Island
|Part of a series on the|
Spratly Islands military occupations map
Sin Cowe Island, also known as Sinh Ton Island, (Tagalog: Rurok; Chinese: 景宏岛; pinyin: Jinghong Dao; Vietnamese: Đảo Sinh Tồn) is an island in the Spratly Islands in the South China Sea. With an area of 8 hectares (20 acres), it is the seventh largest Spratly island and the third largest of those occupied by Vietnam. It has a fringing reef which is above water at low tide.
This island has been controlled by Vietnam since 1974, first by the Republic of Vietnam's ARVN Navy, followed by the Navy of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam after 1975. The island is also claimed by the People's Republic of China, the Republic of China (Taiwan) and the Philippines.
Topography and Structures
Sin Cowe island is inhabited by Vietnamese soldiers. The structures on it include a two-storied government building, anti aircraft guns, artillery and a Vietnamese Sovereignty marker.
- Valencia, Mark J.; Van Dyke, Jon M.; Ludwig, Noel A. (July 1999). Sharing the Resources of the South China Sea. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press. p. 31. ISBN 0824818814. Retrieved 6 June 2014.
- Cole, Bernard (1 October 2001). The Great Wall at Sea: China's Navy Enters the Twenty-first Century (First ed.). U.S. Naval Institute Press. p. 207. ISBN 1557502390. Retrieved 6 June 2014.
- "Digital Gazetteer of Spratly Islands". www.southchinasea.org. 19 August 2011. Retrieved 5 June 2014.
- "Photos of Sin Cowe island". South sea conversations. 14 June 2012. Retrieved 6 June 2014.
- Spratly islands map showing occupied features marked with the flags of countries occupying them.
The flags are placed such that no text and other flag is overlapped. Hence, some flags are not in the exact coordinates where they should actually lie. However, they still portray the general picture of how the Spratly Islands are divided among claimant nations. All occupied features are placed with flags, including those which are not labeled in the map.
Here are all unlabeled features:
- Ban Than Reef (T) The flag below the flag for Itu Aba Island (T).
- Higgens Reef (V) The flag sandwiched between the flags for Sin Cowe Island (V) and Landsowne Reef (V).
- Whitson Reef (C) The flag nearest Chigua Reef label. Based on coordinates of Whitson Reef which is 10°00'N 114°43'E, it should lie there.
- Kennan Reef (C) The flag nearest the flag for Johnson South Reef (C).
|This Asia location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|