Sindangan, Zamboanga del Norte
|Nickname(s): Fishing capital of Zanorte|
Map of Zamboanga del Norte showing the location of Sindangan
|Region||Zamboanga Peninsula (Region IX)|
|Province||Zamboanga del Norte|
|District||2nd District of Zamboanga del Norte|
|Founded||December 22, 1936|
|• Mayor||Nilo Florentino "Boy" Z. Sy|
|• Total||451.00 km2 (174.13 sq mi)|
|• Density||210/km2 (540/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Income class||1st class town|
Sindangan(Subanen: Benwa Sindangan) is a 1st class municipality in the province of Zamboanga del Norte, Philippines. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 94,146 people in 19,905 households.
There are plans in making the municipality of Sindangan into a city since the growth of its economy is enough for its conversion to become a city. The people in Sindangan are just waiting for the government officials to work for its cityhood.
History of the name Sindangan
As to how Sindangan got its name, several stories have been told. The first version narrates that a native fisherman carrying a basket full of fish was on his way home met a Guardia Civil, military guards during the Spanish regime, who asked this question, "Que es el nombre de este lugar, amigo?" And the Subanon fisherman who did not understand the Spanish language answered "Indangan", believing he asked on the kind of fish he caught. The stranger heard this as "Sindangan", thinking that was the exact answer to his inquiry to the fisherman about the name of the fish. From then on, the natives used Sindangan to name the place until it became into a municipality on 1936.
On December 22, 1936, by virtue of Executive Order No. 27 issued by the then President of the Commonwealth of the Philippines, Manuel L. Quezon, Bartolome Lira Sr.. was appointed to organize the Municipality of Sindangan and was its first Municipal President.As his appointive tenure expired, he was elected as the first Municipal Mayor of Sindangan until 1941.
In 1955, four barrios were created:
- Dicoyong - sitios of Labakid, Layawan, Morob, Gusani, Domalogdog, Maoal, Nato, Diongan, Makasing, Dipolo and Dicoyong Proper;
- Bacungan - sitios of Palandok, Rison, Bogabongan, Manil, Gusao, Talinga and Bacungan Proper;
- Lagag - sitios of Milaub, Mangalop, Gopit, Pase, Lipaga, Mianib, Siayan, Litolit, Balok, and Lagag Proper; and
- Bitoon - sitios of Misok, Hagonoy, Lico, Guban, Makinong, and Bitoon Proper.
In 1959, the sitios of Gonayen, Gowayan, Domogok, Dinoyak, Mangilay, Pange, Balak, Laclac, Siriac, Macasing and Diongan were constituted into the barrio of Gonayen.
Sindangan is politically subdivided into 52 barangays.
- Benigno Aquino Jr.
- Datu Tangkilan
- Don Ricardo G Macias (Dinokot)
- Doña Josefa
- Joaquin Macias
- La Concepcion
- La Roche San Miguel
- Santo Niño
- Santo Rosario
- Upper Inuman
- Upper Nipaan
|Population census of Sindangan, Zamboanga del Norte|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
In June 2011 it achieve world fame when one of its citizens, Junrey Balawing, joined the list of Guinness World Records as the shortest man on earth. He is the son of a poor blacksmith and stands less than 2 feet (60 centimetres) tall.
List of Mayors
- 1. Bartolome Lira, Sr. (Appointed) 1936–1941
- 2. Emilio Ortuoste (Elected) 1942–1945
- 3. Joaquin Macias (Elected) 1946–1953
- 4. Abundio Siasico (Elected) 1954–1957
- 5. Joaquin Macias (Elected) 1958–1963
- 6 . Filomena Macias (Elected) 1964–1967
- 7. Jose Tan (Elected) 1968–1971
- 8. Mariano S. Macias (Elected) 1972-1979
- 9. Ricardo S. Macias (Elected) 1980 -1985
- 10. Crescente Y. Llorente, Jr. (Appointed) 1986-1987
- 11. Crescente Y. Llorente, Jr. (Elected) 1988-1991
- 12. Crescente Y. Llorente, Jr. (Re-elected) 1992-1995
- 13. Winnie O. Albos (Elected) 1995-1998
- 14. Winnie O. Albos (Elected) 1998–2001
- 15. Winnie O. Albos (Elected) 2001-2004
- 16. Crescente Y. Llorente, Jr. (Elected) 2004- (July - November 2004)
- 17. Bert S. Macias (Succeeded) 2004-2007
- 18. Bert S. Macias (Elected) 2007-2010
- 19. Nilo Florentino Z. Sy (Elected) 2010–present
- "R.A. No. 1313, An Act Converting into Barrios Certain Sitios in the Province of Zamboanga Del Norte". LawPH.com. Retrieved 2011-04-11.
- "R.A. No. 2110, An Act Creating the Barrio of Gonayen in the Municipality of Sindangan, Province of Zamboanga Del Norte". LawPH.com. Retrieved 2011-04-13.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010". 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- Time. June 14, 2011 http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/06/14/new-worlds-shortest-man-celebrates-birthday-world-record/
|url=missing title (help).