Sindangan, Zamboanga del Norte
|Nickname(s): Fishing capital of Zanorte|
Map of Zamboanga del Norte with Sindangan highlighted
|Region||Zamboanga Peninsula (Region IX)|
|Province||Zamboanga del Norte|
|District||2nd district of Zamboanga del Norte|
|Founded||December 22, 1936|
|• Mayor||Nilo Florentino "Boy" Z. Sy|
|• Total||451.00 km2 (174.13 sq mi)|
|• Density||210/km2 (540/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Income class||1st class|
There are plans to change the status of Sindangan from municipality to a city, since the growth of its economy is enough for its conversion to become a city.
As to how Sindangan got its name, several stories have been told. The first version narrates that a native fisherman carrying a basket full of fish was on his way home met a Guardia Civil, military guards during the Spanish regime, who asked this question, "Que es el nombre de este lugar, amigo?" And the Subanon fisherman who did not understand the Spanish language answered "indangan", believing he asked on the kind of fish he caught. The stranger heard this as "Sindangan", thinking that was the exact answer to his inquiry to the fisherman about the name of the fish. From then on, the natives used Sindangan to name the place until it became into a municipality on 1936.
On December 23, 1936, by virtue of Executive Order No. 77 issued by President of the Commonwealth of the Philippines, Manuel L. Quezon, the municipalities of Sindangan, Siocon, Margosatubig, Pagadian and Kabasalan were created out of the muninicipal districts of Sindangan, Panganuran, Labangan, Dinas, Sibuko, Sirawai, Margosatubig,Malangas, Kabasalan and Bangaan. The Municipality of Sindangan covered the area of Sindangan and Panganuran.
Bartolome Lira Sr. was appointed to organize the Municipality of Sindangan and was its first Municipal President. As his appointive tenure expired, he was elected as the first Municipal Mayor of Sindangan until 1941.
In 1955, four barrios were created:
- Dicoyong - sitios of Labakid, Layawan, Morob, Gusani, Domalogdog, Maoal, Nato, Diongan, Makasing, Dipolo and Dicoyong Proper;
- Bacungan - sitios of Palandok, Rison, Bogabongan, Manil, Gusao, Talinga and Bacungan Proper;
- Lagag - sitios of Milaub, Mangalop, Gopit, Pase, Lipaga, Mianib, Siayan, Litolit, Balok, and Lagag Proper; and
- Bitoon - sitios of Misok, Hagonoy, Lico, Guban, Makinong, and Bitoon Proper.
In 1959, the sitios of Gonayen, Gowayan, Domogok, Dinoyak, Mangilay, Pange, Balak, Laclac, Siriac, Macasing and Diongan were constituted into the barrio of Gonayen.
- Benigno Aquino Jr.
- Datu Tangkilan
- Don Ricardo G Macias (Dinokot)
- Doña Josefa
- Joaquin Macias
- La Concepcion
- La Roche San Miguel
- Santo Niño
- Santo Rosario
- Upper Inuman
- Upper Nipaan
|Population census of Sindangan|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
List of former Mayors
- Bartolome Lira, Sr. (Appointed) 1936–1941
- Emilio Ortuoste (Elected) 1942–1945
- Joaquin Macias (Elected) 1946–1953
- Abundio Siasico (Elected) 1954–1957
- Joaquin Macias (Elected) 1958–1963
- Filomena Macias (Elected) 1964–1967
- Jose Tan (Elected) 1968–1971
- Mariano S. Macias (Elected) 1972–1979
- Ricardo S. Macias (Elected) 1980–1985
- Crescente Y. Llorente, Jr. (Appointed) 1986–1987
- Crescente Y. Llorente, Jr. (Elected) 1988–1991
- Crescente Y. Llorente, Jr. (Re-elected) 1992–1995
- Winnie O. Albos (Elected) 1995–1998
- Winnie O. Albos (Elected) 1998–2001
- Winnie O. Albos (Elected) 2001–2004
- Crescente Y. Llorente, Jr. (Elected) 2004– (July - November 2004)
- Bert S. Macias (Succeeded) 2004–2007
- Bert S. Macias (Elected) 2007–2010
- Nilo Florentino Z. Sy (Elected) 2010–present
Notable people of Sindangan
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 12 May 2014. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- "Province: ZAMBOANGA DEL NORTE". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010". 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- "R.A. No. 1313, An Act Converting into Barrios Certain Sitios in the Province of Zamboanga Del Norte". LawPH.com. Retrieved 2011-04-11.
- "R.A. No. 2110, An Act Creating the Barrio of Gonayen in the Municipality of Sindangan, Province of Zamboanga Del Norte". LawPH.com. Retrieved 2011-04-13.
- Everett Rosenfeld (June 14, 2011). "New ‘World’s Shortest Man’ Celebrates Birthday, World Record". Time.com. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
||Sulu Sea||Jose Dalman|
|Leon B. Postigo|