Sindh Muslim Law College
|Sindh Muslim Law College, Karachi, Pakistan|
|Motto||"Establish weight with justice and fall not short in the balance"|
|Established||June 28, 1947|
|Location||Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan|
|Affiliations||University of Karachi, University of London, Pakistan Bar Council|
|Website||SMLC Official Website|
The Sindh Muslim Government Law College (Urdu: ندھ مسلم گورنمنٹ لاء کالج) or S. M. Law College (Urdu: ایس ایم لاء کالج) is located on Dr. Ziauddin Ahmed Road, Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan. The college was established by its first Principal Hassanally A. Rahman, a leading Advocate of Sindh on the June 28, 1947 and was affiliated to the University of Sindh. It started functioning at Sindh-Madrasa-tul-Islam. After the closure of Shahani Law College, the college shifted to its present building in 1948 and is affiliated with the University of Karachi and University of London external programme.
The establishment of S. M. Law College attracted students from all over the country leading to the dissemination of legal education throughout Pakistan. With a team of dedicated teachers and eminent jurists such as Mr. A.K. Brohi, Mr. Sharif-uddin Pirzada, Mr. Justice Wahidduddin Ahmed, Mr. Justice Inamullah, Mr. Justice Tufailally Abdul Rehman, Mr. Justice H.T. Raymond, Mr. Justice A.S. Farooqi, Mr. Justice Noorul Arfin, Mr. Manzoor Hussain, Mr. Samad Shaheen and Mr. N.M. Kotwal the college marched towards its cherished goal and within a span of few years it was considered as the Premier Law College of Pakistan. Those who followed them, were no less zealous and we again find among them many who have distinguished themselves in law and public life.
However an educational institution is best judged in terms of contribution made by its alumni, over a course of time to society and it is a matter of great pride to find so many of them holding the highest judicial and public offices and the leaders of the Bar. Last but not the least are those not so well known who selflessly and ceaselessly stood for the rule of law, human rights and accountability elevating themselves to a place of honour.
The establishment of S. M. Law College attracted students from all over the country leading to the dissemination of legal education throughout Pakistan. With a team of dedicated teachers and eminent jurists such as Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, A.K. Brohi, Syed Sharifuddin Pirzada, Ghous Ali Shah Inamullah Khan, Tufail Ali Abdul Rehman, H.T. Raymond, A.S. Farooqi, Noorul Arfin, Manzoor Hussain, amad Shaheen and N.M. Kotwal, Chief Justice Syed Sajjad Ali Shah, Chief Justice Ajmal Mian, Chief Justice Saeeduzzaman Siddiqui, Fakhruddin G. Ebrahim, Nasir Aslam Zahid, Wajihuddin Ahmed, Majida Rizvi, Farogh Naseem, and Haziq-ul-Khairi, the college excelled in imparting exeedingly good legal education for more than 60 years.
S M Law College has one of the oldest Law Library in Pakistan.The spacious and magnificent College Library is an important resource centre, primarily intended to provide undergraduate and postgraduate readers with the books they need for their studies, as well as having a valuable and ever increasing collection of legal works. The Library holds over 50,000 volumes, the core of which is a comprehensive range of legal materials for the practitioner and law student.
Former Prime Minister of Pakistan
Former Minister of Foreign Affairs
former Speaker of National Assembly of Pakistan.
- Prof. Khurshid A. Hashmi
Barrister-at-Law, of the Honourable Society of the Lincoln’s Inn, M.A., LL.B.
Dean Faculty of Law University of Karachi
Formerly Deputy Attorney General for Pakistan
Formerly Visiting Professor of Law Harvard University, Boston, Massachusetts, USA<
Formerly Visiting Professor of Law Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York, U.S. A.
Formerly Visiting Professor of Law Naval Staff College
Member London Court of International Arbitration
Member International Bar Association, London
Member and Secretary, Board of Governors for Law Colleges in Karachi
Member Board of Advanced Studies & Research, University of Karachi
Formerly Member, Board of Studies in Law, University of Karachi
Member and Secretary, Board of Governors for Law Colleges in Karachi.
Member Board of Advanced Studies & Research, University of Karachi
Formerly Member, Board of Studies in Law, University of Baluchistan
Degree Programs Offered
- B.A LLB(Honours)
- LLB University of London
Supreme Court of Pakistan Judges:
- Tufail Ali Abdul Rehman
- Wajihuddin Ahmed
- Mamoon Kazi
- Kamal Mansoor Alam
- Hamid Ali Mirza
- Saiyed Saeed Ashhad
- Zia Perwaiz
- Haziq-ul-Khairi – Chief Justice
- Shafi Mohammadi
Sindh High Court Judges:
- Majida Rizvi
- Syed Ghous Ali Shah
- Zafar Hussain Mirza
- Abdur Rahim Kazi
- Imam Ali Kazi
- Salahuddin Mirza
- Hussain Adil Khatri
- Nizam Ahmed
- Ghous Mohammad
- Sabihuddin Ahmed
- Abdul Ghani Shaikh
- S. A. Sarwana
- Mushtaq Memon
- Ghulam Nabi Soomro
- Mushir Alam
- Agha Saifuddin
- Munib Ahmed Khan
Judges of other High Courts of Pakistan:
- lmdad Ali Agha; (student and professor), Judge, High Court of West Pakistan
- Zakaullah Lodhi; (student), Chief Justice, High Court of Baluchistan
- Syed Usman Ali Shah; (student), Chief Justice, High Court of Peshawar
- Mir Hazar Khan Khoso; (student), Judge, High Court of Baluchistan, caretaker Prime Minister of Pakistan
Other notable persons:
- Makhdoom Ali Khan – Senior Advocate Supreme Court (Former attorney general of Pakistan and chairman Pakistan Bar Council)
- Syed Qaim Ali Shah – Chief Minister of Sindh
- Rana Muhammad Akram Khan, former Chairman Punjab Bar Council and former Deputy Attorney General of Pakistan.
- Akhtar Ali Kazi – former Chief Minister of Sindh, former Deputy Speaker of the Provincial Assembly of Sindh, former Minister of Education of Sindh
- Ghous Ali Shah – former Chief Minister of Sindh, former Defence Minister of Pakistan, former Federal Education Minister
- Syed Abdullah Shah – former Chief Minister of Sindh, former Speaker, Sindh Assembly
- Muzaffar Hussain Shah – former Speaker Sindh Assembly, former Chief Minister of Sindh
- Shahida Jamil – former Federal Minister for Women Development, former Minister for Law, Human Rights, Social Welfare and Environment
- Naimatullah Khan – former mayor of Karachi
- Farooq H. Naik – Chairman of the Senate of Pakistan, former Federal Minister for Law and Human Rights
- Farman Fatehpuri – eminent scholar of Urdu language and literature
- Khalid Ali Z. Qazi – former Education Minister Sind, former Addl.Advocate General Sind
- Rasul Bux Palejo – senior politician
- Advocate (Retd) Shamshad Ahmed Junejo – Basic Democrat and Vice Chairman District Council, Dadu (1959-1964). President District Bar Association, Dadu (1974-75, 1990-91).