Sinenjongo High School
|Sinenjongo High School|
The foundation of development
|Joe Slovo Park, Milnerton, Cape Town, South Africa
|Type||Public and paying; mixed gender|
|Headmistress||Mrs Khuselwa Malinga-Nopote|
|Enrollment||more than 800|
|Houses||No residence halls|
|Colour(s)||Blue and grey|
In 1993 Elda Mahlentle started a school (the Elda Mahlentle Primary School) in the informal settlement called Chuku Town opposite the racehorse stables in Milnerton. Grades 1 to 4 were housed all in one small shack. By the end of 1994 the school had expanded up to Grade 9 and consisted of eight container classrooms. The Department of Education subsidised the school through payment of ten teachers' salaries.
In 1996 the new houses were being built in Joe Slovo and so the school moved there with 16 educators. After lengthy negotiations the school finally became a public school in 2004. Elda Mahlentle Primary School became Sinenjongo High School and Marconi Beam Primary School.
|Malinga Nopote - Excellence Through Trust, TEDx|
Rabie Property Group has taken on Sinenjongo High School as the major beneficiary of their Corporate Social Investment Programme.
As of 2012, the school had:
- 1 prefabricated science laboratory
- 1 small garden
- 2 prefabricated computer laboratories (with less than 40 working computers in total)
- More than 18 prefabricated classrooms, with 27 teachers (including 3 Maths-and-Science and 8 more teachers, hired by the private sector) and more than 800 learners.
|Year||Pass Rate||Number of learners||Bachelors||Bachelors Rate|
Other programme participation
Free access to Wikipedia
In 2012, the 11A grade class at the school lobbied South African cellphone network operators to provide free access to Wikipedia to assist students with research. FNB Connect (a South African ISP) was the first to respond by offering free Wikipedia browsing during certain hours to their own clients. While this offer is not available to cellphone users, it will put more pressure on the cellphone network operators to offer the same.
|SA #NekNomination: Free Access to Wikipedia, (3:09), response from the MTN Group, February 14, 2014|
Plus, in June 2013, national, provincial and local newspapers, published the students' letter and had articles written about it, especially on the week preceding the South African national holiday of June 16 "Youth Day". The letter has received a voice beyond its home-province, the Western Cape, to provinces like the Gauteng and the KwaZulu Natal and continues to strengthen it through the Free Access to Wikipedia from Cellphones Facebook page.
On February 14, 2014, in response to a NekNomination challenge from Five Roses Tea, the cellphone operator MTN Group announced via a YouTube video that they would provide access to Wikipedia without data charges. A NekNomination is an internet craze that started as a drinking game, but developed into an online challenge to make a positive difference in South Africa.
The Gr 12A learners have written a number of articles for the IsiXhosa Wikipedia. 'Ukucinezeleka kwamanina' (Oppression of Women) by Sinako Mtakati took first prize in a competition held in August 2013. In 2014 grade 11A learners joined WikiAfrica and started editing and creating articles. Nicholas Dodo, Sinoxolo Cotyi, Esethu Dudumashe, Asiya Bucwa and Sesethu Mdikane joined Lead SA in association with WikiAfrica at an Edit-a-thon.
There is a Careers day for the Grade 8s and Grade 9s where people from different career fields speak to the learners and let them know about those career fields. This is done because the learners in Grade 10 have to choose subjects that they'll major in until matriculation. The other grades' pupils get included too.
Annually there is an academic awards ceremony for the Grade 12 class. It is also their valedictory.
A month before the valedictory, the school has a social farewell celebration for the Grade 12 class known as the "Matric Dance" or "Matric Ball"
A Vetkoek served at the school
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sinenjongo High School.|
- "Sinenjongo High School - South Africa". Plak.co.za. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- Mediaweb: SA Journalist Network[dead link]
- "Sinenjongo | Rabie Blog". Rabie.co.za. Retrieved 2013-06-13.
- "Malinga Nopote - Excellence Through Trust". TEDxCapeTownED. Retrieved 2013-06-13.
- "Excellence through trust: Malinga Nopote at TEDxCapeTownED". YouTube. 2012-06-18. Retrieved 2013-06-13.
- "WESTERN CAPE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT NATIONAL SENIOR CERTIFICATE (NSC) AWARDS FOR 2012". info.gov.za. Retrieved 2013-06-13.
- Bronwynne Esbach (2007-07-07). "Joe Slovo pupils get to grips with science". IOL. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- "Community Involvement". Oldmutual.co.za. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- "Joe Slovo pupils get to grips with science - Post | IOL.co.za". Post. 2013-02-19. Retrieved 2014-07-13.[dead link]
- digitalpro (9 September 2010). "Century City Takes Arbor Day To Neighbouring Community". Century City Blog. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- Foodtent ‘must be managed’ Leon steenkamp
- Rotary Club helps learners in need
- Ratanga Junction donates R150 000 to Sinenjongo High School Ratanga Junction Theme Park
- K-Way Platteklip Charity Challenge raised R518k for Sinenjongo | Rabie Blog[dead link]
- School swells with pride André bakkes
- Michele Attwood (May–June 2012). Century City Edits (2). ISSUU. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- "Sinenjongo High School -My Valedictory Speech (2011, September)". Sinenjongohighschoolvaledictory2011.blogspot.com. 2011-10-15. Retrieved 2013-06-13.
- "Sinenjongo achieves 94% pass rate". Rabie. 2013-01-14. Retrieved 2013-06-13.
- Michelle Jones (2011-01-07). "Pass rate triples in just two years - Western Cape". IOL News. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- "Natasha Lassen |: A Good News Story | Cape Town | Bright future for Lukhanyo Velelo". Natashalassen.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2013-06-13.
- BIANCA CAPAZORIO (2012-01-07). "Whizz-kid gets 5 As living in shack with uncle". IOL News. Retrieved 2013-06-13.
- "Programmes". Starschools. Retrieved 2013-06-13.
- PPC | In The Mix[dead link]
- "Legacy Partneship". BBN. Retrieved 2013-06-13.
- "Legacy Partneship". BBN. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- Addison, Mike (2011-04-24). "BBN LEARNERS 2011 - Sinenjongo". BBN Addsure Sinenjongo 2011 Learners. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- BBN Addsure Sinenjongo 2011 Learners
- "ASSET". Association for Educational Transformation. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-06-13.
- "South African school-goers lobby mobile operators for free Wikipedia access". Livdigital Independent News. 12 December 2012. Retrieved 2013-06-13.
- "SA learners lobby for free Wikipedia on phones". Gadget. 27 Dec 2012. Retrieved 2013-06-13.
- "FNB Connect to offer free Wikipedia browsing in the evening". Telecompaper. 17 January 2013. Retrieved 2013-06-13.
- "FNB Connect offers free wiki browsing". BusinessTech. 2013-01-16. Retrieved 2013-06-13.
- "Tygerburger Milnerton 29 May 2013 by Tygerburger Newspaper". ISSUU. 2013-05-29. Retrieved 2013-06-13.
- "Call for free Wikipedia for schoolkids on cellphones by Primedia Broadcasting on SoundCloud". Soundcloud.com. 2013-06-07. Retrieved 2013-06-13.
- "South African learners lobby for free mobile access to online encyclopedia". SAHA. 14 December 2012. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- "Free Access to Wikipedia from Cellphones". Facebook. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- Duncan Alfreds (2012-12-10). "SA learners lobby for free Wikipedia". News24. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- "Wikipedia". NGO Pulse. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- "Students want free mobile Wikipedia". ITWeb. 2013-01-09. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- "Wikipedia films Sinenjongo learners | News". HumanIPO. 2013-06-07. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- File:Sinenjongo High School Wiki class.JPG - Wikimedia Commons
- "South Africa: Learners Lobby for Free Wikipedia Access (Page 1 of 2)". allAfrica.com. 2012-12-13. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- Nic Spaull (Jun 13, 2013). "Let pupils roam info highway". Sowetan LIVE. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- "OPINION: Free access to Wikipedia from cellphones". Finweek.com. 2013-06-12. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- Nic Spaull (2013-06-14). "Change lives of millions of children with penstroke - The Mercury". IOL. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- "NekNomination leads to free mobile Wikipedia in SA". BizTechAfrica. Retrieved February 14, 2014.
- "MTN gives free access to Wikipedia". iafrica.com. Retrieved February 14, 2014.
- "Youth Day Wikipedia Edit-a-thon". Lead SA. 2014-06-16. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- "Grants:PEG/Aislinn Dewey/Distribute WikiReaders to Schools/Report - Meta". Meta. 2014-03-12. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- WikiReaders 4 Kids
- School's achievements recognised.(Workplace) - Cape Times (South Africa) | HighBeam Research
- Dozens of speakers address learners at Sinenjongo's 2012 Careers Day | Rabie Blog
- "Sinenjongo’s Valedictory Celebrations". Rabie.co.za. October 16, 2012. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- "Dance spectacular for Sinenjongo". Rabie.co.za. 2012-10-02. Retrieved 2014-07-13.