Sing It Back
|"Sing It Back (Boris Musical Mix)"|
|Single by Moloko|
|from the album I Am Not a Doctor|
|Released||August 23, 1999|
|Genre||Single version: Electronica, house, dance-pop
Album version: Trip hop, alternative
|Length||4:40 (single version)
4:23 (album version)
Sire/Warner Bros. Records (US)
|Writer(s)||Róisín Murphy, Mark Brydon.|
|Producer(s)||Moloko and remix production by Boris Dlugosch|
|Moloko singles chronology|
"Sing It Back" is a song written and performed by Moloko (Róisín Murphy and Mark Brydon). It first appeared in its original version on Moloko's second album, I Am Not a Doctor. The song experienced chart success after it was remixed by DJ Boris Dlugosch. Murphy had started writing the lyrics while clubbing in New York City, and knew the song was at heart a dance track, but the group wanted to record it in a different artistic fashion for its album version.
Together with their record company they had commissioned mixes by Todd Terry (who had turned Everything But the Girl's "Missing" into an international club anthem). Moloko were not satisfied with the Terry mix and had to convince their label Echo Records to put out the Boris D. version instead. The remixed version was eventually featured on over 100 compilations, and was later added on Moloko's third album, Things to Make and Do, after hitting the top ten in the UK singles chart. In 1999 it reached number one on the U.S. dance chart. As a form of barter for the remix, Moloko vocalist Róisín Murphy later co-wrote and appeared on Boris D.'s "Never Enough" single, starring in the video for that release as well.
The music video features Moloko vocalist Róisín Murphy dancing alone in a metallic flapper dress, accompanied by psychedelic lighting effects. The video was directed by Dawn Shadforth.The video is featured on the DVD of Moloko's special edition for the Statues album. Several live videos exist as well, including one in the groups's live concert movie 11,000 Clicks, a similar concert version from the Dutch Pinkpop broadcast, a televised version from the TV show Later With Jools Holland, and a samba version featured on MTV Brazil.
- French CD single
- German maxi single
- "Sing It Back" (Boris Radio Edit) (3:35)
- "Sing It Back" (Can 7 Supermarket Radio) (3:55)
- "Sing It Back" (Mousse T's Boot Edit) (3:55)
- "Sing It Back" (Boris Musical Mix) (9:15)
- "Sing It Back" (Can 7 Supermarket Mix) (8:14)
- "Sing It Back" (Mousse T's Bootleg Dub) (7:35)
- Boris Dlugosch did the "Boris Musical Mix", the most widely heard version. (9:17)
- Boris Dlugosch also did the B.M.R Clubcut mix (7:13)
- Matthew Herbert (who would later coproduce Murphy's solo debut) did a "Tasteful Dub", reportedly adding only one sampled sound and using the original recording for the rest. (5:58)
- Todd Terry's Radio Mix was also released. (3:26)
- Mousse T. contributed two mixes, "Mousse T.'s Bootleg Dub" and "Mousse T.'s Feel Love Remix", which uses a similar synthesised bass riff to the influential disco song "I Feel Love" by Donna Summer.
- In 2012 Andy Caldwell and Michael Teixeira collaborated on a cover featuring vocals by Lisa Donnelly.
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||31|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)||26|
|Canada Dance (RPM)||2|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||47|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||24|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||27|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||18|
|United Kingdom (The Official Charts Company)||4|
|US Hot Dance Club Songs (Billboard)||1|
"Big Love" by Pete Heller
|Billboard Hot Dance Club Play number-one single
July 3, 1999 – July 10, 1999
"What You Need" by Powerhouse featuring Duane Harden
- Uno Recordings: Music
- "Australian-charts.com – Moloko – Sing It Back". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Ultratop.be – Moloko – Sing It Back" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Moloko – Sing It Back" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- Canadian peak
- "Lescharts.com – Moloko – Sing It Back" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Italiancharts.com – Moloko – Sing It Back". Top Digital Download.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Moloko search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.org.nz – Moloko – Sing It Back". Top 40 Singles.
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 8480486392.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Moloko – Sing It Back". Singles Top 60.
- "Moloko – Sing It Back – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Moloko Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs for Moloko.