Sing Me a Story with Belle
|Disney's Sing Me A Story with Belle|
|Created by||Patrick Davidson
|Developed by||Walt Disney Television|
|Directed by||Steve Purcell|
|Presented by||Lynsey McLeod|
|Voices of||Christine Cavanaugh
|Opening theme||"Sing Me a Story" by Lynsey McLeod|
|Ending theme||"Sing Me a Story" instrumental|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||65|
|Executive producer(s)||Jimbo Marshall|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Patrick Davidson Productions (USA)|
|Distributor||Disney-ABC Domestic Television (all media)
Disney Channel (2000) (USA) (TV)
|First shown in||United States|
|Original run||September 8, 1999– December 11, 1999|
Sing Me a Story with Belle is an American live-action series created by Patrick Davidson and Melissa Gould. The series features Belle from Beauty and the Beast, who now owns and manages the bookshop in the village.
According to Ken Weiner, vice president at Buena Vista Television, using classic animated shorts allows the show to present a higher quality of animation than would normally be feasible in an educational show that who get U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) approval.
By early 1999, it was said that the show would present two short films per episode (with updated music), which Belle and the children would sometimes interrupt for discussion purposes or to "test cognitive abilities".
Belle (Lynsey McLeod) lives in the country of France and owns her own music and bookshop. Helping her at the bookstore are Lewis and Carol, two magical bookworms, Harmony the Cat and Big Book, a large talking book on a book stand. The bookstore is visited by local children to whom Belle will tell and sing stories, usually with a moral relating to something that's happened that day.
Clips from vintage Disney cartoons would often be used to illustrate the stories.
Examples of Disney Stories
- Lynsey McLeod - Belle from Beauty and the Beast
- Tim Goodwin - Brioche
- Jacob Chase - Jacob
- Kirsten Storms - Kirsten
- Shawn Pyfrom - Shawn
- Hampton Dixon - 'Little' Hampton
- Jennefer Jesse - Jennefer
- Natalie Trott - Natalie
- Julie Vanlue - Julie
- Kerry Anne Bradford
- Chris Robles
- Kristian Truelsen - Musician
- Mary Kay Bergman - Fifi, Hansel & Gretel, Elf, Witch
- Christine Cavanaugh - Carol the Book Worm
- Jeff Conover - Harmony the Cat
- Jim Cummings - Big Book, Lewis the Book Worm
- Wayne Allwine - Mickey Mouse
- Tony Anselmo - Donald Duck
- Bill Farmer - Goofy, Pluto
- Russi Taylor - Minnie Mouse
- Maurice LaMarche - Mortimer Mouse
This show premiered on the Disney Channel on September 8th, 1999. Two videos featuring two episodes on each were released as part of the Disney Princess Collection: Chapters of Enchantment and The World of Music. In 1999, two episodes from the first season were released with an episode of an abandoned Beauty and the Beast cartoon series and were released direct-to-video as Belle's Tales of Friendship.
- Tobenkin, David (1995-01-02). "Disney rings in the new year with Belle: Studio plans to launch FCC-friendly show based on ‘Beauty and the Beast’". Broadcasting & Cable (Cahners Publishing Co./Reed Publishing (USA ) Inc.) 125 (1): 18.
- Sing Me A Story With Belle at the Internet Movie Database
- Sing Me A Story With Belle at TV.com
- Retrojunk section on Sing Me A Story With Belle, includes video of the opening sequence