Singapore Consulate-General, Chennai
|Consulate General of the Republic of Singapore in Chennai
Singapore Consulate General, Chennai
சிங்கப்பூர் துணைதூதரகம், சென்னை
Coat of arms of Singapore
|Formation||17 September 1987|
|Deputy||Mr Lau Eng Choon|
Singapore Consulate-General in Chennai is one of the three missions of Singapore in India. The other two are the High Commission of the Republic of Singapore, New Delhi and the Consulate General of the Republic of Singapore, Mumbai. The Singapore Consulate-General in Chennai covers the southern region of India. The current Consul General is Ajit Singh.
The Singapore Consulate in Chennai was established on 17 September 1987. This was opened along with another consulate in Mumbai and a visa-issuing office at Kolkata the same year. The Consulate was upgraded as the Consulate-General in Chennai on 22 June 2006.
The stated mission of the Singapore Consulate-General in Chennai is "to safeguard the interests of Singaporeans visiting, living and working in Southern India and to promote political, economic and cultural links between Singapore and India."
The Consulate General
The Singapore Consulate-General is located at 17-A, North Boag Road, T. Nagar.
On 8 August 2011, the 44th ASEAN Day was commemorated with the hoisting of Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) flag on a permanent basis for the first time in Chennai at the Consulate General of the Republic of Singapore, as mandated by the 18th ASEAN Summit on 7 and 8 May 2011 in Jakarta, Indonesia. Accordingly, all ASEAN missions in Chennai will fly the ASEAN flag alongside their respective national flags from 8 August 2011 onwards.
- List of diplomatic missions in Chennai
- List of diplomatic missions of Singapore
- Foreign relations of Singapore
- India–Singapore relations
- Foreign relations of India
- "History of Singapore Immigration". Immigration & Checkpoints Authority, Government of Singapore. Retrieved 5 May 2012.
- "Singapore Consulate upgraded". The Hindu (Chennai: The Hindu). 3 October 2006. Retrieved 2 Feb 2012.
- "ASEAN flag to flutter on a permanent basis in Chennai". The Hindu (Chennai: The Hindu). 9 August 2011. Retrieved 3 Feb 2012.
- "'Asean Flag' hoisted in Chennai after 44 years". Deccan Herald (Chennai: Deccan Herald). 9 August 2011. Retrieved 3 Feb 2012.
- Official website of the Singapore Consulate-General Chennai
- Official website of the Singapore Ministry of Foreign Affairs