Singaporeans in the United Kingdom
40,474 (2001 Census)
41,000 (2009 ONS estimate)
|Regions with significant populations|
|Central London, Cambridge, Portsmouth, Oxford, Bath, Plymouth, Exeter|
|British English, Singaporean English, Singaporean Mandarin, Chinese languages, Malay, Tamil|
|Buddhism, Taoism, Christianity and Islam|
|Related ethnic groups|
|Oriental British, British Chinese, British Asian, Malaysian Britons|
in each UK region (2001)
The story of the Singaporean community in the UK roughly follows that of the British Chinese community, as most Singaporeans are actually of Chinese descent (see Chinese Singaporean). There is a Singaporean diaspora in the UK, due to Singapore's history as a former British colony (as part of the Straits Settlements from 1826 to 1942, and separately as the Crown Colony of Singapore from 1946 to 1959), and its current membership in the Commonwealth of Nations.
40,474 Singaporean-born people were recorded by the 2001 UK Census, with 40,180 of those living in Great Britain. The Singaporean-born population of Great Britain has increased by 19 per cent since the 1991 Census, when 33,751 Singaporean-born people were recorded.
The distribution of Singaporean-born residents according to the 2001 census is shown on the map. Nine of the ten census tracts with the most Singaporean-born residents in 2001 are in London. The most popular tracts were Hyde Park, Kensington, Holborn, Chelsea, Southall West, Regent's Park, Cambridge West, Highgate, East Ham South, Richmond North.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (September 2010)|
The list below includes British born people of Singaporean descent and Singaporean immigrants to the UK, regardless of ethnicity.
- Fiona Bruce, journalist and news reader
- Nigel Callaghan, footballer
- Michael Chan, Baron Chan, physician and politician
- Leela Floyd, musician
- Jessica Henwick, actress
- Ava Lyn Koh, actress
- Jasmine Lowson, news presenter
- Vanessa-Mae, pop and classical musician
- Louis Theroux, broadcaster
- Paul Thompson, head coach of the Coventry Blaze and the Great Britain national men's ice hockey team
- Colin Thurston, recording engineer and producer
- Nancy Yuen, singer
- Richard Fortin, cricketer
- Mrs. Jen Theng Craven (or Jin-Theng Craven), used to be known as Goh Jin Theng, daughter of Goh Chok Tong, ex-PM and ex-SM of Singapore, is in London with her English husband, Lee Craven.
- Leslie Charteris,Thriller writer and screenwriter
- Wendy Kweh,actress
- Nancy Lam,celebrity chef
- Soo Bee Lee,soprano singer
- Melville McKee,racing driver
- Matt Carmichael (footballer)
- Clive Rees,Rugby union player
- "Born abroad: Singapore". BBC News. 2005-09-07. Retrieved 2009-11-08.
- "Country-of-birth database". Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. Retrieved 2009-11-08.
- "Estimated population resident in the United Kingdom, by foreign country of birth (Table 1.3)". Office for National Statistics. September 2009. Retrieved 8 July 2010.
- "Lord Chan". The Daily Telegraph (London). 2006-01-26.