Singareni Collieries Company
|Type||Public sector undertaking
|Headquarters||Kothagudem, Khammam district, Telangana|
The Singareni Collieries Company Limited or SCCL is a government-owned coal mining company in India. One of the public sector undertakings, the company is jointly owned by the Telangana government (51 percent) and the Union Government (49 percent). The Union Government's administration of the company is through the Ministry of Coal. SCCL is currently operating 15 opencast and 34 underground mines in 4 districts of Telangana with a manpower around 65,354.
The Name of Singareni is one of the village Name in khammam district. The manner of extending financial assistance for expansion of SCCL by the Govt. of A.P., and the Govt. of India during V plan period was agreed upon in the Four party Agreement executed on 10 June 1974. Subsequently, the Govt. of India decided to control its equity directly in SCCL. Accordingly, agreement was concluded on 13 December 1977. The SCCL, the Government of A.P., the Government of India and Coal India Limited were parties to the agreement. These two agreements are popularly called quadripartite agreements.
For financial and other assistance during VI, VII, VIII, IX & X Plan periods, separate agreements were executed on 31 March 1985, 10 February 1989, 24 September 1994, 11 January 2002, 19 October 2004 and 11 June 2010 between the Government of India, the Government of Andhra Pradesh and SCCL. These agreements are called tripartite agreements.
The Company's accredited function is to explore and exploit the coal deposits in the Godavari valley coalfield, which is the only repository of coal in South India. Mining activities of SCCL are presently spread over four districts of Andhra Pradesh Viz. Adilabad, Karimnagar, Khammam and Warangal.
The studies of Geological Survey of India attribute as much as 22016 million tonnes of coal reserves in the Godavari valley coalfield. The inventory covers up to a depth of 1200 metres and it includes reserves proved, indicated as well as inferred.
The coal extracted by SCCL in the Godavari valley coalfield up to the year 2009-10 was about 929.11 million tonnes.
Awards and Recognition
- The Singareni Collieries Company Limited (SCCL) received the Indira Gandhi Vriksha Mitra Award - 2004 for outstanding contributions made in the field of afforestation and waste land development on 5 June 2007, at New Delhi.
- Environmental Excellence award for 2005-06 from Society for Research and Initiatives for Sustainable Technologies and Institution (SRISTI), New Delhi.
- Environmental excellence Award from Green Tech Foundation in 2005-06.
- "Golden Peacock Innovation Management Award 2005" from the Institute of Directors, New Delhi.
- "Golden Peacock Environment Management Award 2005" from World Environment Foundation, New Delhi.
- "National Fly Ash Utilization Award 2005" jointly instituted by the Ministry of Environment and Forests, Power and Science and Technology, Government of India.
- The Second Best Corporate Film Award 2005 by Public Relations Society of India, Hyderabad for "Shramika Bandham" a telefilm.
- Three of the fourteen "National Safety Awards (Mines)" instituted by the Directorate General of Mines Safety, Government of India in 2004 (pertaining to 2001).
- "Best Workers Welfare Activity Award" for 2003-04 by the Federation of Andhra Pradesh Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FAPCCI).
- "Best Overall Performance Award" for 2002-03 by the Federation of Andhra Pradesh Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FAPCCI).
- "Best Management Award" for 2001-02 by the Government of Andhra Pradesh.
The company is involved in coal extraction in Telangana, in the Pranhita-Godavari Valley region, which has significant coal reserves, with proven geological reserves estimated at 8791 million tonnes. Ramagundam is one the important operating area of singareni collieries. There are three divisions in ramagundam area. Each division is headed by a general manager
SCCL is setting up 1200 MW power plant at Jaipur in Adilabad district at a cost of 6000 crores. It is expected to be operational in November 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Singareni Collieries Company.|