Single (Natasha Bedingfield song)
|Single by Natasha Bedingfield|
|from the album Unwritten|
|Released||13 July 2004|
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Writer(s)||Natasha Bedingfield, Steve Kipner, Andrew Frampton, Wayne Wilkins|
|Producer(s)||Steve Kipner, Andrew Frampton, Wayne Wilkins|
|Natasha Bedingfield singles chronology|
"Single" is a pop song by British singer Natasha Bedingfield. It was written by Steve Kipner, Andrew Frampton, Wayne Wilkins and Bedingfield for her debut album, Unwritten (2004), with production handled by the former three. It received a positive reception from music critics and was released as the first single in Europe in the second quarter of 2004, reaching the top five in the United Kingdom. In North and Latin America, "Single" was released as Bedingfield's third single in the second quarter of 2006. On the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart, the song reached number fifty-seven.
"Single" entered the UK Singles Chart on 17 May 2004 at number three, remaining on the chart for ten weeks. The track also reached the top ten in Ireland, where it reached number seven. The single was also successful in Europe. It reached number sixteen in Norway and number seventeen in Sweden. In North America, "Single" performed moderately well. The song debuted at number seventy-two on the Billboard Hot 100 on 24 June 2006 and reached a peak position at number fifty-seven, remaining on the chart for six weeks. It did well on pop-oriented charts, reaching number thirty-eight on the Pop 100 and number twenty-six on the Top 40 Mainstream.
The music video for "Single" was directed by Jake Nava and premiered on 26 March 2004 in the United Kingdom. The video features four sequences. It begins with Bedingfield waking up and getting ready to go out. She is then shown walking down the street past various shops, stopping at a photo booth to take photographs with a guy she had met on the street. Dressed in jeans and a silver jacket, she is next shown performing a choreographed dance with three female dancers in an underground tunnel. The final sequence of the video features Bedingfield at a party sitting outside on a patio, singing to herself. As the video concludes, she is shown staring at the camera as her image gradually fades.
In North America, a slightly different music video was released. The North American version featured extended photo booth and party scenes. The guy who Bedingfield meets at the photo booth is featured more predominantly in the video, with Bedingfield singing the song to him. The music video, as well as behind-the-scenes footage, was released commercially on the song's CD single.
Formats and track listings
Australia CD single
UK CD single
The following people contributed to "Single".
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||80|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||3|
|US Billboard Hot 100||57|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||26|
- "UK Singles Top 75 (Monday 17 May 2004)". aCharts.us. Retrieved 20 December 2007.
- "Single Chart Positions". aCharts.us. Retrieved 20 December 2007.
- "Natasha Bedingfield > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles". Allmusic. Retrieved 20 December 2007.
- "Single" music video information. mvdbase.com. Retrieved 24 May 2007.
- Unwritten (CD liner notes). Sony BMG. September 2004.
- "Australian-charts.com – Natasha Bedingfield – Single". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "Chart Track". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Natasha Bedingfield search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Natasha Bedingfield – Single". VG-lista. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Natasha Bedingfield – Single". Singles Top 60. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "Natasha Bedingfield" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "Natasha Bedingfield Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Natasha Bedingfield. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "Natasha Bedingfield Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Natasha Bedingfield. Retrieved 2013-03-16.