Singleton railway station, New South Wales
Station in April 2007
|Location||Munro Lane, Singleton
|Operated by||NSW TrainLink|
|Distance||238.89 km (148.44 mi) from Central|
|Fare zone||MyZone 3|
|Opened||7 May 1863|
The original, listed 1863 John Whitton brick station building remains. It opened as the terminus of the Great Northern Railway when it was extended from Branxton. In 1869, Singleton lost it terminus status when the line was extended north to Muswellbrook. It had a freight yard including locomotive servicing facilities. The line from Whittingham was duplicated in 1951.
Singleton was the stabling point for the last regular steam locomotive passenger service in Australia, a peak hour service to Newcastle that ceased in July 1971.
Platforms & services
Singleton has one platform. It is serviced by NSW TrainLink Hunter line services travelling between Hamilton (Newcastle) and Muswellbrook/Scone. There are four services in each direction on weekdays, and two on weekends.
For a number of years in the 1980s, the passenger services were replaced by road coaches while the line was upgraded. Rail services were restored on 14 March 1988.
|1||Hunter Line||Endeavour/Hunter railcar services to Hamilton (Newcastle) & Muswellbrook/Scone (2-4 each way per day)|||
|NSW TrainLink North Western||Xplorer services to Armidale/Moree and Sydney (1 each way per day)|||
Hunter Valley Buses operate four routes via Singleton station:
- 180: Stockland Green Hills - Singleton Heights via Maitland
- 401: Singleton Town Circuit
- 402: to Darlington and Hunterview
- 403: to Singleton Heights
- Singleton Station NSWrail.net
- The Heritage of Australia, Macmillan Company, 1981
- Singleton Railway Precinct NSW Environment & Heritage
- Roundhouse October 1980 page 64
- Hunter line timetable NSW TrainLink 5 January 2015
- "Rail Returns to Muswellbrook" Railway Digest April 1988 page 121
- North Western timetable NSW TrainLink 20 October 2013
- Routes 179, 180, 401, 402 and 403 timetable Hunter Valley Buses 27 January 2015
- Media related to Singleton railway station at Wikimedia Commons
- Singleton station details Sydney Trains