Sinsheim Auto & Technik Museum
|Sinsheim Auto & Technik Museum|
Aircraft on the roof of the museum building.
|Website||Auto & Technik Museum Sinsheim (English)|
The Auto & Technik Museum Sinsheim is a technology museum in Sinsheim, Germany. Opened in 1981, it is run by a registered association called "Auto & Technik Museum Sinsheim e.V." which also runs the Technik Museum Speyer.
As of 2004[update], the museum had more than 3,000 exhibits and an exhibition area of more than 50,000 m² (indoors and outdoors). In addition to exhibitions, the museum also has a 22m x 27m IMAX 3D theatre. It receives more than 1 million visitors per year and is the largest privately owned museum in Europe.
In 2003, Air France donated one of its retiring Concorde aircraft (F-BVFB) to the museum. With a Tupolev Tu-144 on display since 2001, it is the only place where both supersonic passenger aircraft are shown. Both are fully accessible by the public.
Sinsheim Museum also has the largest permanent Formula One collection in Europe along with Ferraris, motorcycles, land speed record holders and classic cars.
The Sinsheim Auto und Technik Museum is open 365 days per year.
- 300 vintage cars
- "American Dream Cars" collection from the 1950s
- 40 race and sports cars (including the only Vector W8 on public display in the world)
- Formula-1 collection
- "Blue flame" - American rocket-propelled ground vehicle once holding the world speed record.
- 200 motorcycles
- 27 locomotives
- 50 aircraft, including fighters from both world wars and the early jet era, passenger airliners
- 150 tractors
- steam engines and trucks
- steam organs
- several early jet fighters and other aircraft
- tanks, artillery and other military equipment.
The museum is easily reached by car and has a large car park.
More notably it has a dedicated railway station as part of the local rail network.
- Listed in Kursbuch der deutschen Museums-Eisenbahnen 2008 (Handbook of German Museum Railways), Verlag Uhle und Kleimann, ISBN 978-3-928959-50-6, serial 208
- http://seniortravel.about.com/b/2008/09/18/auto-und-technik-museum-sinsheim-ferraris-and-more.htm - 12 Nov 08
- http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/07/Germany_Sinsheim_Technik_Museum.htm as at 12 Nov 08
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Auto und Technik Museum Sinsheim.|