|Sir Anwar Pervez|
1 December 1935 |
Gujar Khan, British India
|Occupation||Chairman Bestway group|
|Net worth||United States $1.5 billion (2011)|
Sir Anwar was born in 1935 and he moved to the UK at the age of 21. In 1963 he established his first convenience store in London’s Earls Court. By the early seventies he had ten well-provided convenience stores in and around West London.
In 1976 Sir Anwar Pervez, opened Bestway’s first wholesale warehouse in Acton, West London. As of 2010 Bestway Cash & Carry is the largest independent wholesale group and 2nd largest wholesaler with 61 Warehouses spread all over the UK.
In 1992, Sir Anwar was made an Officer of the Order of the British Empire O.B.E. and a Knight Bachelor in 1999 in the Queen’s Birthday Honours List for services to business and charity. In 2000, he was awarded the Hilal-e-Pakistan by the Pakistan government for his services to the country.
At the heart of Bestway Group’s philosophy is the desire to help those less fortunate than others by supporting charities and contributing to help the local community. This is manifested in the charter of the Bestway Foundation established by Sir Anwar himself 1987.
In October 2002 Sir Anwar Pervez’s Bestway Group along with His Highness Shaikh Nahyan Bin Mubarak Al-Nahyan’s Abu Dhabi Group successfully bid for a controlling share in United Bank Limited (UBL). Sir Anwar is the Deputy Chairman of United Bank Limited, the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Bestway Foundation UK and the Patron-in-Chief of Bestway Foundation Pakistan. Sir Anwar is also a Trustee of the Memorial Gates Trust, Crimestoppers and a supporter of UK Charity The Duke of Edinburgh's Award.
Sir Anwar describes himself politically as a Thatcherite. He is a supporter and regular donor to the Conservative party.
- 1992 – Order of the British Empire (O.B.E.)
- 1999 – Knighthood
- 1999 – EMMA Business Personality of the Year.
- 2000 – Hilal-i-Pakistan (H Pk) by the Government of Pakistan.
- 2001 – Asian Businessman of the Year.
- 2003 – Barclays Business & Commerce Excellence Award.
- 2003 – Retail Industry - Life Time Achievement Award.
- 2004 – Asian Achievers Award.
- 2005 – Grocer Cup for Outstanding Business Achievement.
- 2006 – Honoured by the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Scheme.
- 2006 – Honoured by HM the Queen for his significant contribution to national life in UK.
- 2006 – Ernst & Young Master Entrepreneur London Region.
- 2006 – Siatra-e-Eisaar by the Government of Pakistan.
- 2006 – GG2 Entrepreneur of the Year.
- 2006 – Ernst & Young Master Entrepreneur UK.
- 2012 - University of Bradford, UK - Honorary Graduate