Sir Herbert Perrott, 5th Baronet
Sir Herbert Charles Perrott, 5th and 1st Baronet, CH (26 October 1849 - 15 February 1922) was an English baronet who succeeded to a 1716 baronetcy in 1886 and was created a baronet in his own right on 21 June 1911 with precedence to his heirs male from the 1716 creation. Since there were no sons, the baronetcies became extinct with his death in 1922.
He was made a Companion of Honour in 1918. Perrott was Chief Secretary of the St. John Ambulance Association from its formation in 1877 and secretary-general of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem in England from 1910.
Perrott was elder son of Sir Edward George Lambert Perrott, 4th Baronet (d. 1886) by his wife Emma Maria Houghton (d. 1878), only dau. of Charles Evelyn Houghton, commander R.N., descended in the female line, from John Evelyn.
The 1716 baronetcy had been created for Sir Robert Perrott, styled 1st Bart., of Richmond, Surrey (d. 1759), a relative of Sir John Perrot, lord deputy of Ireland in the reign of Queen Elizabeth. It was claimed that he was created a baronet on 1 July 1716 with limitation to his brother and the heirs male of his body, in reward for eminent diplomatic services, but no patent was registered in the College of Arms. Thus, the nephew Sir Richard Perrott (lineal ancestor of Sir Herbert) assumed the style of Baronet, but was not presumably so recognized. The 1911 creation was probably designed to overcome the failure to register the patent at the time of creation.
The 3rd Baronet, Sir Edward Bindloss Perrott (1784–1859) married in 1810, Louisa Augusta Bayly (d. 1860, aged 81), a niece of Henry Bayly Paget, 1st Earl of Uxbridge, and cousin of the 1st Marquess of Anglesey, K.G, already a notable war hero. Sir Herbert was therefore a third cousin of the 3rd Marquess of Anglesey.
He married on 10 December 1901 at St Peter's Eaton Square, London, Ethel Lucy Hare (1875 - 1939), eldest daughter of the late Captain Marcus Augustus Stanley Hare, R.N., of Court Grange, Newton Abbott They had issue, two daughters.
- Marie Louise Priscilla Perrott, later Baroness Forester (b. 20 December 1909-1988), wife as of 1931 of the 7th Baron Forester since 1931. They had issue one son and four daughters, of whom the two eldest daughters Christine Helene and Juliet Mary married the 7th Baron Bolton and the 8th Marquess of Downshire respectively. Lady Forester had a royal godparent in H.H. Princess Marie Louise of Schleswig-Holstein.
- Helena Ruth Perrott, later Viscountess Maitland (1912-1 September 1999, aged 87), died as Helena, Viscountess Maitland; she married 1936 Ivor Colin, Viscount Maitland, (29 August 1915 - 18 January 1943), killed in action in North Africa, aged 27, only son and heir of Ian Maitland, 15th Earl of Lauderdale and had issue three daughters, of whom the eldest Mary Helena married the 4th Baron Biddulph.
- Leo Van Der Pas. Descendants of King Henry VIII of England: XI-212 (X-103-1)
- Burke's Peerage & Baronetage 1912: Perrott Baronets, with some minor errors.
- Burke's Peerage & Baronetage 1912: Perrott Baronets, with some minor errors.. See also Leo Van der Pas, "Descendants of Henry VIII of England": X-103 (IX-75-2)
-  Times obituary published 6 July 1939
- Hare (1839-1878) was lost in the sinking of HMS Eurydice on 24 March 1878; he was captain of the ship. Hare was son of Captain Marcus Theodore Hare RN by his wife Honourable Lucy Anne Stanley, second daughter of Sir John Thomas Stanley, Baron Stanley of Alderley. He is sometimes erroneously listed as Marais Augustus Stanley Hare. His wife was Matilda Jane Tollemache, second daughter of William Tollemache (himself grandson of John Manners (MP) and his wife Louisa Tollemache, 7th Countess of Dysart and in remainder to that earldom) and his wife Lady Anna Maria St. Maur, herself daughter of Edward St Maur, 11th Duke of Somerset by his second wife. Her eldest half-brother Edward Seymour, 12th Duke of Somerset was First Lord of the Admiralty 1859-1866. See Burke's Peerage & Baronetage 1912 (online version, with some OCR errors) and Leo Van Der Pas: Descendants of King Henry VIII of England: XI-212 (X-103-1) for fuller details. Matilda Jane Tollemache's parents's ancestry can be found via Burke's Peerage under Dysart E and Somerset D.
- See Burke's Peerage, 1912 edition, for details
- Helena, Viscountess Maitland's date of birth is from the National Portrait Gallery site. She was daughter of Sir Herbert Charles Perrott, 5th and 1st Bt. (1849-1922) by his wife Ethel Lucy Hare, and sister of Marie Louise Priscilla, Baroness Forester (b. 1909-), wife of the 7th Baron Forester since 1931. Sir Herbert Charles Perrott was created a baronet in his own right 1911 and inherited an older baronetcy of 1716 in 1886. He married 1901 Ethel Lucy Hare, eldest dau. of the late Captain Marcus Augustus Stanley Hare, R.N., of Court Grange, Newton Abbott, by his wife Matilda Jane Tollemache, daughter of William and Lady Anna Maria Tollemache. See Burke's Peerage & Baronetage 1912 (online version, with some OCR errors) and Leo Van Der Pas: Descendants of King Henry VIII of England: XI-212 (X-103-1) for full details.
- Michael Rhodes " Births,Marriages,Deaths, Earls Families, 1999" alt.talk.royalty, 14 November 2001.
|Baronetage of Great Britain|
|Baronetage of the United Kingdom|