Sir Robert Borden High School
|Sir Robert Borden High School|
|131 Greenbank Road
Ottawa, Ontario, K2H 8R1, Canada
|School board||Ottawa Carleton District School Board|
|Superintendent||Frank Wiley Source|
|Area trustee||Donna Blackburn|
|Vice principal||Steve Jackson, Kristin Riddell|
|Language||English, French Immersion|
|Mascot||Bolt the Bengal|
|Team name||SRB Bengals|
|Colours||Royal Blue and Yellow|
|Communities served||Craig Henry, Briargreen, Knoxdale, Centerpoint|
|Feeder schools||Greenbank Middle School|
Sir Robert Borden High School (SRB) is a high school located on Greenbank Road in Ottawa, Ontario. Adjacent to the main office of the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board, this school was founded in 1969 and named after the late Conservative Prime Minister of Canada, Robert Borden.
Architecturally, the building itself is divided into several different wings. The wing known affectionately as "The Square" (Named after its imposing shape overlooking Greenbank Road) houses the social sciences, science, computer and English departments. Another wing, "The Circle", which overlooks sports fields and a local neighbourhood, houses the Math, Technology and Language departments. These two wings are centred around a foyer on the main level, which is a popular place for students to socialize. "The Pit" (foyer) is the center of the school, and named after the large dent in the first floor lobby. A sound system was instaled to facilitate performances by student bands or student council activities over the lunch hour. There is also a multi-purpose auditorium, which has partitions which can divide the hall into three smaller lecture theatres, and a large gymnasium with its own partitions, which makes it ideal for hosting high school athletics.
Sir Robert Borden High School is often recognized in its community for its leading music, arts and athletics programs, having won many local sports championships and arts and music competitions. The school mascot, the Bengal, represents its many sports teams and clubs.
The school is also used after hours and on weekends by many community groups and sports leagues, and is often used as a polling station in municipal, provincial and federal elections.
The school's principal is currently Wendy Verreault who took over for Barb Gage at the beginning of the 2012-13 school year. The vice-principals are Steve Jackson and Kristin Riddell.
- Sandra Oh - actress
- Fred Brathwaite - professional hockey player (former NHL player)
- Tyler Moss - professional hockey player (former NHL player)
- Darren Pang - retired NHL player
- Jeff Zywicki - professional lacrosse player
- Roshell Bissett - small-time film producer
- Rajeev Dehejia - world-renowned economics professor
- Lianne Laing - media personality
- Paul Telner - sketch comedian and columnist for Nepean This Week
- Dan Kanter - Guitarist for Justin Bieber
- Rush - Hot 89.9 radio personality
- Dave McRae (Professional Voice Artist) - Heard Nationally and Internationally in Movie and Game trailers, Network Promos, Radio and Television Commercials and more.
- John Mielke (radio personality) - 93.9 Bob FM radio personality
- Barbara Dunkelman- Internet Celebrity and Actress
|This Ontario school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article relating to Ottawa and to Canada's National Capital Region is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|