Sir Robert Smith, 3rd Baronet
|Sir Robert Smith
|Member of Parliament
for West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine
1 May 1997
|Preceded by||Constituency Created|
|Born||15 April 1958|
|Political party||Liberal Democrat|
|Alma mater||University of Aberdeen|
Educated at the Merchant Taylors' School, London and the University of Aberdeen (MA), he was a member of the Social Democratic Party before its merger with the Liberal Party to form the Liberal Democrats. He served as an Aberdeenshire Councillor and Convener of the Grampian Joint Police Board 1995-97.
Sir Robert’s areas of political interest include energy policy, rural issues and international development. He has been a member of the Energy & Climate Change Select Committee since it was created in 2009, acting as Interim Committee Chair from June - November 2013. He sat on the International Development Select Committee from 2007 to 2009.
He serves as Honorary Vice-President of Energy Action Scotland, a fuel poverty charity, and is a Vice-Chair of the All-Party Group for the UK Offshore Oil and Gas Industry. He is Vice-Chair of the Post Offices APPG and Co-Chairs the APPG on Afghanistan. He represents a large rural constituency where the oil and gas industry, subsea engineering and marine renewables are major employers.
His previous portfolios include party Energy spokesperson, Deputy Chief Whip and shadowing the Scotland Office; he has served on the Trade & Industry Select Committee, Scottish Affairs Select Committee and the Procedure Committee.
Sir Robert succeeded to the baronetcy upon his father's death in 1983. He married Fiona Cormack in 1993; they have three daughters.
The heir presumptive to the title is his brother, Professor Charles Smith.
- Profile at the Liberal Democrats
- Sir Robert Smith Bt MP Scottish Liberal Democrats profile
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 1803–2005
- Current session contributions in Parliament at Hansard
- Electoral history and profile at The Guardian
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
- Blood money: the MPs cashing in on Zimbabwe's misery
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|New constituency||Member of Parliament for West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine
1997 – present
|Baronetage of the United Kingdom|
Sir William Gordon Smith, 2nd Baronet
(of Crowmallie, Aberdeen)