Sir Wilfrid Laurier Collegiate Institute
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2009)|
|Sir Wilfrid Laurier Collegiate Institute|
Hoc Tempus est Tibi
This Time is for You
|145 Guildwood Parkway
Scarborough, Toronto, Ontario, M1E 1P5, Canada
|School board||Toronto District School Board
(Scarborough Board of Education)
|Area trustee||Jerry Chadwick|
|Vice principal||Denise De Paola
|School type||Public high school|
|Mascot||Laurier Blue Devils|
|Colours||Grey and Navy|
|Homepage||Sir Wilfrid Laurier Collegiate Institute|
Sir Wilfrid Laurier Collegiate Institute (colloquially known as Sir Wilfrid Laurier CI, SWLCI, SWL, Sir Wilfrid Laurier or simply Laurier) is a high school in Toronto, located in southern Scarborough, specifically, in the heart of Guildwood Village beside The Guild Inn at 145 Guildwood Parkway. It is named in honour of Sir Wilfrid Laurier, the seventh Prime Minister of Canada and part of the Scarborough Board of Education that is now integrated into the Toronto District School Board since 1998.
Opened in September 1965, the school has a diverse population of approximately 1439 students; about 40% primarily speak a language other than English and 15% of the school population has been living in Canada for less than 5 years. The motto of the school is Hoc Tempus est Tibi which translates into English as "This Time is for You". The school's population has been rising in recent years, despite an overall trend in the Toronto District School Board of declining student enrolment.
Laurier's academic reputation has been making progress in the last few years. In 2006, Laurier was recognized for making the greatest progress to its literacy program in Ontario by bringing its literacy rate among its students up 9% to 83%, and in 2007 gained certification as an IB World School. The internationally-respected International Baccalaureate Programme is offered to students in their Grade 11 and 12 years, in rough alignment with regular Ontario high school credits allowing students to obtain both an ID Diploma and an OSSD. Students take "Pre-IB" courses in Grade 9 and 10 before entering the IB program in Grade 11. All IB exams are marked internationally by an external marker ensuring consistency among all IB Candidates.
Laurier fields teams in basketball, cricket, baseball, football, badminton, field hockey, ice hockey, tennis, swimming, track, rugby, and many others; most sports have both boys' and girls' teams. Extra-curricular clubs include the Student Activity Council, Science Not Fiction, Laurier Athletic Council, DECA , Green Team, First Robotics Club, International Entertainment Club, United Cultures Club, and Model United Nations.
- Ann Doose - personality on 680 News radio in Toronto
- Joel Ward - NHL Forward for the Washington Capitals, Nashville Predators and Minnesota Wild.
- Dave Lumley - NHL Forward for several Stanley Cup champion Edmonton Oilers teams
- Dianne Buckner - Host of CBC Television's Venture
- Jamillah Ross - Cast member of PopCultured on The Comedy Network
- Denis Simpson - Actor and Singer. Performed as a member of The Nylons and the TV program the Polka Dot Door.
- Gary Levy - Big Brother Canada Runner-Up - Season 1, LGTB Activist and Popular Culture Icon
- Paul Bernardo - Serial rapist and murderer
- Ryan Russell - The 40th Toronto police officer to die in the line of duty, and the first since 2002.
- imdb entry for PopCultured