Siri Nilsen at Oslo Bokfestival (Oslo Book Festival) September 2010
|Birth name||Siri Nilsen|
|Born||1985 (age 27–28)|
|Occupations||Singer, songwriter, musician, voice actress|
|Instruments||Vocals, ukulele, guitar, piano|
|Years active||2007 – current|
|Associated acts||Blues Run the Game|
Siri Nilsen (born 1985 Oslo, Norway) is a Norwegian singer, songwriter, musician, and voice actress. She is the daughter of Norwegian folk singer Lillebjørn Nilsen and an American mother, Shari Nilsen. She has released two albums: Vi som ser i mørket (We Who See in the Dark) in 2009, and Alle snakker sant (They All Speak the Truth) in November 2011. Music critics have expressed similar appraisal of her music, noting the sincerity of her song writing and the clarity and range of her voice, characterized as "unique" and "beautiful". Nilsen often accompanies her singing with a ukulele, which she plays in a fingerpicking style.
Nilsen made her debut as a stage artist in 2007 and has since performed in venues ranging from small clubs to larger concert halls and festivals. In December 2011, she was nominated for a Norwegian Grammy in the category of Best Female Artist for her latest album. Nilsen has had a career for several years as a voice actress, dubbing character roles into Norwegian for several feature films and television, mostly animation.
Before deciding to devote herself to music full-time, Nilsen was a ballet dancer. Nilsen describes the process of composing songs as a form of recreation, stating that the transition to express herself artistically through music instead of dance was a natural one. Nilsen's debuted on stage as a solo musical artist at Den Gode Kafe (The Good Cafe) in Oslo, April 2007.
In October 2008, Nilsen won a competition among new artists sponsored by the Norwegian record label, Grappa. In awarding Nilsen the prize for best debut artist, the jury described her as having "the courage to write simple, personal and intimate lyrics in Norwegian". As part of the award, Nilsen received a record contract which produced 2009s Vi som ser i mørket (We Who See in the Dark).
As a voice actress in Norwegian-version feature films and television, Nilsen played Carmen Cortez in Småspioner 2 (Spy Kids 2: The Island of Lost Dreams), Lisa Simpson in The Simpsons Movie, Haru in Katteprinsen (猫の恩返し Neko no Ongaeshi/The Cat Returns), among others.
Vi som ser i mørket (We Who See in the Dark)
Released on October 5, 2009, Nilsen's first record, Vi som ser i mørket (We Who See in the Dark), features songs written mostly in Norwegian, but also in English (Nilsen has mentioned that her American mother found it difficult to not want to proofread her English lyrics). The album was produced by musician Jan Martin Smørdal. Music critics were similar in their appraisal of Nilsen's voice and lyrics. Norway's largest newspaper, Aftenposten described Nilsen as "an artist who had already found her own voice." It described her music as ranging from "sensitive melancholy moods to light and playful tones", and "imparting joy and peace of mind.." Nilsen's lyrics are often described as "personal". Remarking on this Nilsen has said that her songs are not completely just about herself but can also be about things that she's observed or heard from others:
Each song is like a small movie, a little history...Part of me is going to be in there for it to be interesting to sing about. As a person I am a little mysterious, a little direct, and so is my music too.
Alle snakker sant (They All Speak the Truth)
Siri Nilsen's second album, Alle snakker sant (They All Speak the Truth), was released November 11, 2011. To produce, Nilsen collaborated with musicians Jens Carelius (a solo artist also part of the group "Blues Run the Game," with Siri Nilsen) and Øyvind Røsrud Gundersen (of the groups Rumble in Rhodos, Hanne Kolstø) both of whom play on the record. Nilsen plays piano, Rhodes piano, guitar, percussion, ukulele and mini-ukulele on the tracks. The album has been described as having a "distinctly modern tone". Nilsen explained that the title (of the album and single) "They All Speak the Truth" refers to reconciling one’s gut feeling with the other messages received from the head and heart; concluding that all three speak the truth.
Nilsen wrote the songs in the dead of winter. She said that at the time the words were meant to comfort her, but by early summer when she recorded them she was already in a different mindset (The tracks were recorded at a rehearsal room next to where she lives).
oh, how to make roses grow through a long winter when you live so far north
—translated verse of "Enkle ting" (Simple Things) — song from Alle snakker sant
Aftenposten characterized the album's lyrics as "well written and honest". Nilsen has stated that she makes "music that is not really obvious, but grows on a person. It is a mix of pop and rock that can be sad without being melancholic." Nilsen was described by one album reviewer as being "remarkably adept at combining bright colors with subtle hints of darkness," adding, "this usually prevents this light, nimble music from becoming overly cute."
Similar to the previous album, many reviewers focused on Nilsen's voice. The single, "Alle snakker sant", received praise in the pages of The Guardian and among Norwegian music critics. The album was released in the UK on April 9, 2012.
Siri Nilsen: Live fra Rockefeller Music Hall
Nilsen released her first live album, Siri Nilsen: Live fra Rockefeller Music Hall (Siri Nilsen: Live from Rockefeller Music Hall) on August 10, 2012. The album was recorded during her concert at the Rockefeller in Oslo the previous March, and features 12 tracks. The album was initially only available through a Norwegian music streaming site, but became available through other digital channels on August 17.
Siri Nilsen appears on the Susanna single, "Death Hanging", along with Susanne Sundfør. It was released worldwide on May 24, 2013, and was reviewed in the American music press on Pitchfork, which asked, "Who knew starkly profound morbidity could sound so gorgeous?"
Since beginning her musical career in 2007, Siri Nilsen has played clubs and festivals around Norway, and in venues such as Oslo's Rockefeller, the Nationaltheatret, and Ullevaal Stadion, where she was an opening act for Leonard Cohen. Nilsen has also performed on various Norwegian television talk-show programs. In addition to her solo career, Nilsen is part of the Oslo-based musician and poet community, "Blues Run The Game," together with musicians Arild Hammerø and Jens Carelius, among others.
On December 15, 2011 it was announced that Siri Nilsen had been nominated for a Spellemannprisen (Norwegian Grammy) in the category of Best Female Artist for her album, Alle snakker sant – with the award ceremony being conducted at the National Theatre in Oslo on January 14, 2012.
Nilsen performed at the annual Øyafestivalen (Island festival) on August 10, 2012. The music festival is held at Middelalderparken (Medieval park) in Nilsen's hometown of Oslo, Norway. Nilsen had previously performed there as a backing singer for Jens Carelius. The festival features four stages, and during Nilsen's opening song, "Ta meg med" (Take me with you), it was possible to hear the soundcheck of the black metal band, Nekromantheon, but Nilsen seemed unaffected. Among concert reviews, Nilsen was described by one writer as "a fascinating hybrid of melancholy, vulnerable sweetness and inner strength..." This was Nilsen's first concert since the Rockefeller in March 2012, and since giving birth to a daughter two months previous. Commenting on the most recent phase of her life, Nilsen said, "Now I've also got a million new things to write about, there's so much I want to say."
Nilsen is described as having a "strong artistic presence" and a voice which has a "large register", which is "comfortably clear" with a "steady top and powerful down." Concert reviews of Nilsen's live performances note the clear softness of her voice juxtaposed against her vocal power; and that she can convey more dimensionality with her voice live than what comes across on digitized recordings.
Siri Nilsen is the younger of two daughters, her sister Sarah being four years older. Her father is Norwegian folk singer Lillebjørn Nilsen (born 1950 Oslo, Norway) who first came to prominence in Norway in the early 1970s after the release of his first albums. Siri Nilsen first wrote a song when she was six years old, but grew up sheltered from the different aspects of the music industry. Lillebjørn tells an anecdote illustrating this point: one day Siri and her sister came home from school and sang a song to their father that they had learned that day, never realizing that it was he who had written it. (Lillebjørn Nilsen wrote a popular song/guitar book that has been in print for decades).
In November 2011, Nilsen performed with her father on the Norwegian late-night talk show, Senkveld med Thomas og Harald (Late Night with Thomas and Harald). She sang the single Alle snakker sant and played the ukulele while Lillebjørn accompanied on ukulele.
In June 2012, Siri Nilsen gave birth to a daughter with Norwegian comedian Anders Bye, with whom she has been in a relationship for several years.
- 2009: Vi som ser i mørket – (We Who See in the Dark)
- 2011: Alle snakker sant – (They All Speak the Truth)
- 2012: Alle snakker sant – (They All Speak the Truth) — UK release
- 2012: Siri Nilsen: Live fra Rockefeller Music Hall — (Siri Nilsen: Live from Rockefeller Music Hall)
- 2011: "Alle snakker sant" – (They All Speak the Truth)
- 2013: Siri Nilsen featured on Susanna single, "Death Hanging", along with Susanne Sundfør
Voice acting roles
|Film and television roles - Norwegian dubbing||Role||Year|
|Alvin og gjengen 3 (Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked)||Brittany||2011|
|Winx Club: Kongerikets hemmelighet (Winx Club: The Secret of the Lost Kingdom)||Bloom||2010|
|Star Wars: The Clone Wars (Star Wars: The Clone Wars)||Ahsoka "Snips" Tano||2008|
|Drømmehagen (In the Night Garden) -television series-||2007|
|Edgar og Ellen (Edgar & Ellen) -television series-||2007|
|Jungeldyret Hugo på ville veier||2007|
|Sykkelmyggen og dansemyggen||2007|
|Kikis budservice (Kiki's Delivery Service)||Kiki||2007|
|The Simpsons Movie (The Simpsons Movie)||Lisa Simpson||2007|
|Tommys ville venner (Pet Alien) -television series-||2005|
|Katteprinsen (猫の恩返し Neko no Ongaeshi/The Cat Returns)||Haru||2005|
|De Utrolige (The Incredibles)||Kari||2004|
|Peter Pan: Tilbake til drømmeland (Return to Never Land)||Jane||2002|
|Småspioner 2: Operasjon drømmeøya (Spy Kids 2: Island of Lost Dreams)||Carmen Cortez||2002|
|Den ville familien Thornberry (The Wild Thornberrys Movie)||Sarah Wellington||2002|
|Pokémon 3: The Movie (Pokémon 3: The Movie)||Molly Hale||2001|
|Ender uten tenner (Sitting Ducks) -television series-||2001|
|Furi og den magiske skogen (El Bosque Animado)||2001|
|Lady og landstrykeren 2 – Fant på eventyr (Lady and the Tramp II: Scamp's Adventure)||Scamp's sisters||2001|
|Jimmy Neutron: Geniet (Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius)||Cindy Vortex||2001|
|102 Dalmatians (102 Dalmatians)||2000|
|Hjelp! Jeg er en fisk (Help! I'm a Fish)||2000|
|Pokémon 2 - Den enes kraft (Pokémon: The Movie 2000)||Maren||2000|
|Babar – Elefantenes konge (Babar: King of the Elephants)||B. Celeste||1999|
|Pippi på Sjørøverøya||1999|
|Småkryp (A Bug's Life)||1998|
|Løvenes konge 2 – Simbas stolthet (The Lion King II: Simba's Pride)||Young Kiara||1998|
|Maja Steinansikt *||Silvia||1996|
|Over stork og stein *||1994|
live acting role in feature film *
- For mention of “unique" to describe Nilsen’s voice see articles by authors: Pederson, Gullstein, Andersen (who uses "distinct"). For mention of “beautiful” to describe voice see articles by authors: Stuen, p3, Hansen (who uses "lovely") - all of which are in Norwegian.
- "Siri Nilsen er en sanger og låtskriver fra Sagene i Oslo" (in Norwegian). Backstage. Retrieved 2011-12-16.
- "Film & television voice roles" (in Norwegian). Filmfront. Retrieved 2011-12-14.
- "Siris musikalske univers" [Siri's musical universe]. Oppland Arbeiderblad (in Norwegian). 2011-11-07. Retrieved 2011-12-14.
- "Siri Nilsen – Frk Nilsen på Herr Nilsen!" (in Norwegian). 2009-09-07. Retrieved 2011-12-22.
- Nordal, Paul A. (2008-10-09). "Vant debutantpris" (in Norwegian). ABC Nyheter. Retrieved 2012-12-22.
- Gullstein, Leif (2009-2). "Sterk platedebut" [Strong album debut]. Bergens Tidende (in Norwegian). Retrieved 2011-12-14.
- Knatten, Kaja Schau (2009-10-19). "Siri Nilsen: Vi som ser i mørket". Romerikes Blad (in Norwegian). Retrieved 2011-12-14.
- Andersen, Svein (2009-10-13). "Debut med schwung" [Spirited debut]. Aftenposten (in Norwegian). Retrieved 2011-12-05.
- Pedersen, Bernt Erik (2009-10-12). "Engelsk og norsk (slight return)" (in Norwegian). Dagsavisen. Retrieved 2012-01-20.[dead link]
- "Siri Nilsen – Alle snakker sant" (in Norwegian). p3.no. 2011-11-18. Retrieved 2011-12-22.
- Stuen, Eivind August W. (2011-11-11). "Vakker melankoli" [Beautiful melancholy]. Aftenposten (in Norwegian). Retrieved 2011-12-16.
- "Siri Nilsen: Alle snakker sant – profile" (in Norwegian). Grappa Records. Retrieved 2011-12-14.
- "Sangtekster (Lyrics)". sirinilsen.no. Retrieved 2012-01-30.
- Trulsen, Ola Nymo; Traaholt, Stine (2011-12-15). "Disse kan vinne Spellemann" (in Norwegian). NRK. Retrieved 2011-12-22.
- Paton, Daniel. "Siri Nilsen - Alle Snakker Sant". Music OMH. Retrieved 2012-04-17.
- Hansen, Per Kristian (2011-11-15). "Siri Nilsen: Alle snakker sant". Østlendingen (in Norwegian). Retrieved 2011-12-16.
- Salmon, Chris (2011-12-01). "F&M Playlist". The Guardian. Retrieved 2011-12-16.
- "Årets beste norske plater" [This year's best Norwegian albums]. Aftenposten (in Norwegian). Retrieved 2011-12-16.
- Norwegian singer/songwriter Susanna Karolina Wallumrød
- Bowman,Patrick (2013-05-24). "Susanna: "Death Hanging" [ft. Siri Nilsen and Susanne Sundfør]". Pitchfork.
- Østbø, Stein (2012-08-10). "Øya-anmeldelse: Milde, snille Siri (The Island review: Mild, kind Siri)" (in Norwegian). VG.
- Elnan, Cathrine (2012-08-10). "Siri Nilsen håper på et mildt publikum (Siri Nilsen hoping for a mild public)". Aftenposten (in Norwegian).
- Haug, Linnéa (2012-08-11). "Et friskt pust fra Siri Nilsen (A breath of fresh air from Siri Nilsen)" (in Norwegian). AktiviOslo.
- "Alle snakker sant!" (in Norwegian). PåNå.no. 2012-01-26. Retrieved 2012-01-28.
- Bøe, Anders (2012-01-26). "Siri sjarmerte stort" (in Norwegian). Skjerioslo.no. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- Heath, Theresa (2012-04-27). "It All Starts with One: Behind the Norwegian invasion". Clashmusic.com. Retrieved 2012-05-25.
- "Nordlyd - Brev (Siri Nilsen)" (in Norwegian). YouTube (MetteLeise).
- "Siri Nilsen spiller på "SPOT" og "Over Oslo"" (in Norwegian). Backstage.
- Olsen, Inger Anne (2006-07-15). "Nære Nilsen". Aftenposten (in Norwegian). Retrieved 2011-12-14.
- Haugen, Ida Anna (2008-07-18). "Prøvde å skåne datteren" (in Norwegian). Retrieved 2011-12-22.
- Hagerup, Egil Aslak (2011-11-11). "Siri og Lillebjørn Nilsen med "Alle snakker sant"" [Siri Nilsen and Lillebjørn Nilsen perform "Alle snakker sant" on Late Night with Thomas and Harald] (in Norwegian). TV 2. Retrieved 2011-12-14.
- Dobbing, Eva Kynningsrud (2012-04-06). "Kjendispar ble foreldre for første gang" (in Norwegian). TV 2. Retrieved 2012-08-06.
- "Film & television – voice acting: Siri Nilsen" (in Norwegian). Filmweb. Retrieved 2011-12-23.
- "Artist profile page for Siri Nilsen at Backstage Management" (in Norwegian). Backstage. Retrieved 2012-05-20.
- Official website (Norwegian)