|Born||May 12, 1952
|Occupation||Ayurvedic therapist and teacher|
|Known for||Guru of Surat Shabd Yoga|
Coordinates: Sirio Carrapa (born in Borgagne, Italy, 12 May 1952) is an Italian mystic and a unique Western Master of Surat Shabd Yoga or Sant Mat, who teaches and sets an example of practice of this spiritual path. He was a disciple of Sant Kirpal Singh and Sant Ajaib Singh, and he is acknowledged as a spiritual Master ("Sant" or Satguru), carrying on the work of his Masters. His knowledge is not only theoretical, as he has long decades of personal experience and practice, which make his spiritual activity credible and lifelike. He is also an expert in Ayurveda, he is an appreciated Ayurvedic therapist and teacher.
He was born on the 12th of May, in 1952 in Borgagne, which is in one of the southernmost regions of Italy, Apulia. He lived there with his parents and four siblings until the age of 10, then in 1962 the family moved to Milan. He lived there until he moved to Tuscany, in the village Ribolla (Grosseto) in 1979, where he founded the Sant Bani Ashram.
Meeting with his first Master
In 1972, at the age of 19, he had his first spiritual awakening spontaneously, after which he started an intense practice of Yoga and meditation, wishing to keep up this level of consciousness and spiritual awareness. Eventually the following year springtime, in 1973 he travelled to India for the first time (via land through Greece, Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan which journey lasted for 1 month), to find a Master who can help him and be his support in this spiritual quest.
Not long after arriving in India, He met Sant Kirpal Singh from Delhi, in whom he recognized his Master and on that occasion, on the 25th of April in 1973 he got Initiation from the Great Master himself into the practice of Surat Shabd Yoga (the experience of the Inner Light and the Sound). Through this initiation he experienced such an immense and incredible upliftment in spirit and consciousness, that after his return home to Italy from India, He spent the next two years in the practice of continuous meditation completely. So his daily routine was continuous meditation, in complete retreat from the world. Kirpal Singh was his first Master, whom he met and by whom he was initiated in 1973. He met Master Kirpal on two occasions, in 1973 and in 1974 and both times were incredibly uplifitng and fulfilling spiritually.
The second Master
Master Kirpal left this world in 1974. At that time Sirio was very young and he felt the need to follow a living Master, because - as he told in an interview- he had to learn, how he has to do this spiritual work. He needed training. He was at a very high spiritual level, but being a young man, the process of becoming a real man was still ahead. He experienced this process with his second Master, who was also a disciple of Kirpal Singh. His name was Ajaib Singh and lived in the Tar desert in Rajasthan. With him Sirio had a 20-year long deep spiritual relation. He appointed Sirio to be His European representative in 1977, when he was only 25, and he gave authorization to Sirio to give initiations in his name. Since then he gives Initiation into this yoga tradition.
The foundation of the Sant Bani Ashram in Ribolla and spiritual retreats
In 1977, when Sirio first met Ajaib Singh, told him about his intention to buy a piece of land and found an ashram there. He was very happy about it and told to Sirio that this will be a good service to his soul. So in the next year, Sirio bought 17 acres of land with an abandoned house that needed renovation. In that time he was living in Milan and in the next year, in 1979 he moved to Ribolla, founding the Sant Bani Ashram there in Ribolla, and he has lived there ever since. Since then Sirio organizes spiritual retreats at this beautiful place every year more times, and even Ajaib Singh lead three programs here with hundreds of people participating (in 1980, 1984 and 1989). Such intense spiritual, meditation retreats with Master Sirio aren't only in the ashram: his disciples arrange programs for him all over the world, (mainly in Europe up to now, but he has also been invited to the USA, to Mexico and to Togu in Africa).
After the death of Ajaib
Ajaib Singh died in 1997 and in 2001 Sirio felt a strong inclination and inner guidance to have three months in complete, continuous meditation. Obeying to this inner urge, he meditated at least fourteen-fifteen hours a day. Thus from the July of 2001 until September he didn't do anything else, just meditated through these hours every day. He went through an incredible upliftment of consciousness and had many inner experiences, which showed much, much stronger than ever before, that this is what he has to do. So, according to his Master's will he does this spiritual work since then. There were many external signs as well from Ajaib during their intense spiritual relationship of twenty years, that his will was the Sirio carries on the spiritual work of his gurus. (One of the strongest external signs from Ajaib to express his wish that Sirio takes up the role of the Master later on was that in 1989 during the retreat in Sant Bani Ashram Ribolla, Ajaib wanted that Sirio gives the initiation despite the fact he was also present. This act is usually one of the ways of the Masters to show a succession.) Furthermore Ajaib gave the indication to Sirio to lock the small wooden house of the Master - that was built in the Sant Bani Ashram for Ajaib - and use it the same way as he used the small underground room in India in which he meditated for long years following Master Kirpal's instructions. Sant Ajaib gave this instruction only to Sirio and not to any other disciple who were living in the Ashram at that time. Still nowadays this little house is used only by Sirio and he gives initiations and private interviews there. It is called the Master's house. Consequently, some of the initiates accepted this successorship (after having inner experiences in meditation with Master Sirio). By now there is big number of followers, disciples of Master Sirio, mainly from different countries of Europe (his biggest spiritual group is Hungarian) with whom nowadays there are a number of retreats every year, mainly in Italy (in the Sant Bani Ashram and other cities as well), in Hungary, in Romania (Transylvania) and in Germany. But he has disciples and followers from many other parts of the world, like UK, USA, Mexico, Togu (Africa). Master Sirio is giving a number of public lectures on Surat Shabd Yoga every year, fulfilling the invitation of his disciples.
It seems that nowadays there is a growing number of people who recognized in Master Sirio the Living Satguru and are his disciples and devotees.
Master Sirio does not accept or asks for any money for his spiritual activity. He takes it as a service for humanity, since in his understanding "spirituality is a free gift of nature, such as the life, the air or water". He earns his living from his profession, since he is a well known and appreciated Ayurvedic therapist in the area of Toscany where he lives. He is not only therapist, but he is teaching the practice of Ayurveda as well. He first studied Ayurveda in 1995 from dr.Nanal and dr.Bhagwan Dass in Firenze. After that he started his own practice as an Ayurvedic therapist, but to make his knowledge and experience in it deeper, he also travelled to India, and studied and practiced the method in the Ayurvedic Hospital in Coimbator and since then he also became the teacher of Ayurveda. He began teaching Ayurvedic massage in a school in Rome in 1999, where a big number of people learnt the practice of Ayurveda directly from him. Later on he started an Ayurvedic center in Ribolla, where he lives, where people can go to visit him, retreat from the world and purify their body by getting effective therapies and treatments, combined with complex program (including Ayurveda, diet, yoga etc.) for the sake of renewing themselves on all levels of the human beings: body, mind and spirit.
- Il Cammino Verso L'Illuminazione, autobiography and Sant Mat theory, M.I.R. Edizioni (cover) ISBN 8888282556
- Il Roseto dell'Amico, collection of writings and verses of Sirio Carrapa available for download, Creative Common license.
- Nel Giardino dai Melograni in Fiore, collection of poetry and bhajan by Sirio Carrapa. available for download, Creative Common license.
- One Word. One Melody. One Glance, satsang collection in English available for download, Creative Common license.
- Erleuchtungsweg Eines Westlichen Adepten German translation of 'Il Cammino Verso L'Illuminazione'.  ISBN 3848201569 ; ISBN 9783848201563
- Tautropfen auf den Rosen und Granatäpfeln im Garten des Freundes: Gedichte und Bhajans German: Stories and poems (bhajans).  ISBN 3848203960 ;
- Egy Szó. Egy Dallam. Egy Pillantás collection of discourses, lectures, letters and poems in Hungarian. ISBN 9789630855181 , published by SBA Books and Könyvműhely Kiadó, December 2012.
- The Rosegarden of the Friend collection of writings and poems. Published by SBA Books, August 2012.
- In the garden with pomegrantes in flower collection of poems. Published by SBA Books, August 2012.
- The Way of the Saints a writing on Surat Shabd Yoga or Sant Mat. Published by SBA Books, August 2012.
- WDW list of Sant Mat gurus.
- Ksitigarbha-bodhisattva.com gives a list of 'Gurus in the West' where Master Sirio Ji is also enlisted
- Goldenmap Guru section gives a list of Western gurus
- German language summary about guruship, Master Sirio elnliste here as well as contemporary Western Gurus of Sant Mat, successor of Kirpal Singh and Ajaib Sing
- Guru lineage chart of Surat Shabd Yoga
- The Centro Ocolistico Siena's website about Master Sirio, Ayurvedic therapist
- Sant´Agata Feltria (Rimini) salon mentions Master Sirio concerning Ayurveda
- Master Sirio is shortlisted as Ayurvedic therapist on the Cure-Naturali.it website among other therapists and operators.
- At the Simon and Baker Travel Review site Master Sirio is marked as reference in the training (in Ayurvedic massage) of the professional stuff of Adler Spa in Siena
- Master Sirio as the teacher of Abhyanga (Ayurvedic massage) on the website of the Centro Olistico Siena
- Master Sirio is also giving lectures on Ayurveda, this link shows the date of one of his public lectures.
- and http://www.raggiodiluce.net/massaggio.html Master Sirio marked as reference as teacher of Ayurveda
- Most of the information about his life can be found in his autobiography Il Cammino Verso L'Illuminazione (The Path towards Enlightment) published by M.I.R. Edizioni. ISBN 88-88282-55-6
- Sant Bani Magazine of october 1979 on page 20 contains the first meeting between Sirio Carrapa and Kirpal Singh
-  The Hungarian LIFE magazine published an interview with Master Sirio. This is the cover of the issue of October 2012.
- As mentioned in most of the copies of the "Sant Bani Magazine", the official magazine of the teachings of Kirpal Singh and Ajaib Singh. For example in the copy of January 1981 page 26 as directory of Satsang Center authorized by Ajaib Singh and pag. 31 as holder of the Satsang in Milan. Sirio's address, as shown, is the Sant Bani Ashram in Ribolla
- There are many ashrams called Sant Bani in various places of the world including America and India.
- Sant Bani Magazine of April 1980: in page 3 is visible the part of the tour in Ribolla with Sirio as representative
- An English documentary about Sant Ajaib in Ribolla in 1989 showing Sirio translating Ajaib's discourses
- Ref. brief life-sketch of Kirpal Singh, third paragraph
- Cesnur website (in Italian) deepens the question
- The Hungarian group leader of Master Sirio was interviewed in the Hungarian SPIRIT TV, in which interview she was talking about Master Sirio, meeting him and a spiritually lived life according to the teachings of the Masters of the Sant Mat.
- There is a big number of references available about these public programs, so it is impossible to gather all of them here, published in media - printed and online, and in local television and in radio. Those who are interested in more detailed information on these public programs, may visit the websites, dedicated to Master Sirio, where they may find further info about these programs. There is a collection of videos available about some of these public programs at vimeo.
- There is a video interview that was asked from Master Sirio by Spazio Interiore in Rome from the occasion of a public program in 2012. In the interview Master Sirio is talking about Ayurveda as well. The interview is in Italian.
- KGS Magazin (Körper Geist&Seele/Hamburg) issue May 2012 p34 is inviting people for a spiritual retreat with Master Sirio in Hamburg, Germany 2012
- KGS Magazin (Körper Geist&Seele/Hamburg) issue February-March 2012 p39 is inviting people to attend a public lecture and meditation in Bremen, Germany with Master Sirio
- Invitation for a spiritual retreat with Master Sirio in Hungary, 2012 on the Hungarian "self-realization" portal
- The Hungarian LIFE magazin is informing people about a spiritual retreat with Master Sirio in Hungary
- Invitation for a launch of book of Master Sirio in Budapest
- Information about a public program with Master Sirio on the website of a Hungarian holistic center
- Public program in Budapest
- Information about a public program with Master Sirio in the Hungarian "Ladies magazin"
- Information at the German Yoga-online community about one of the many retreats in the Sant Bani Ashram in Ribolla with Master Sirio, 2011
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sirio Carrapa.|
- Sant Bani Ashram - Ribolla (in Italian) hold by disciples of Sirio Carrapa.
- Sant Bani Ashram (in Hungarian) hold by disciples of Sirio Carrapa.
- Sant Bani Ashram (in English) hold by disciples of Sirio Carrapa.
- Guru Lineage Chart, Baba Jaimal Singh to Shri Sirio Carrapa.
- Golden Mountain magazin (in Hungarian) - a section on the teachings of Master Sirio
- A spiritual club in Budapest, Soter Klub, that gives an article in Hungarian about Matsre Sirio as spiritual teacher
- A Hungarian site that is reporting about Master Sirio and his spiritual activity in HUngary, such us public lectures and spiritual retreats