Theatrical Release Poster
|Produced by||K. E. Gnanavel Raja
S. R. Prakash Babu
S. R. Prabhu
|Story by||K. V. Vijayendra Prasad|
by S. S. Rajamouli & K. V. Vijayendra Prasad
|Editing by||Anthony Gonsalves|
|Distributed by||Studio Green|
|Running time||155 minutes|
Siruthai (English: Leopard) is a 2011 Indian Tamil action-masala film directed by Siva. A remake of the Telugu blockbuster Vikramarkudu, directed by S. S. Rajamouli, the film stars Karthi, performing dual roles, and Tamannaah alongside comedian Santhanam. The film was produced by K. E. Gnanavelraja and features music by Vidyasagar. It was released during Pongal on 14 January 2011; in spite of mixed reviews, it went on to become a commercial success.
Rocket Raja (Karthi) is a small-time thief who steals anything he comes across. With his partner Kaatu poochi (Santhanam) he enjoys life to its fullest and even falls for the beautiful Swetha (Tamannaah). However, his life changes when a small girl Divya Rathinavel (Baby Rakshana)ends up in his care; he looks exactly like her father Rathniavel Pandian IPS (Karthi). As Raja discovers the girl's past, it is revealed that Rathinavel Pandian is an honest policeman who is a nightmare to criminals, but that one gang of criminals in the village of Devi pattnam are intent on killing him and his daughter because he killed the son of a prominent criminal, who also sexually abused women. Rathinavel Pandian's colleagues put Divya in Rocket Raja's care so that the criminals cannot track her. Rathinavel Pandian is on the verge of death following a gunshot to his head. At first Raja is angry with the little girl and breaks her tape recorder. Divya is happy and hugs him, after he repairs it. Rathinavel Pandian is intent on fighting back. Unfortunately, he dies following a battle with several criminals who had been chasing Raja and Divya.From police officers,he realise that pandyan was an honest and courageous police officer who stood against Babuji and his family who had cruelly ruled a village and pandyan even manages to kill his son and stopping their crminal acts.Pandyan manages to fail his brother but he gets shot when he tried to save a child.Upon seeing his courage, Rocket Raja (with the help of Rathinavel Pandian’s colleagues) steps into Rathinavel Pandian's shoes and finishes his unfinished work as he himself is a thug and destroys all their properties with the help of kaatu poochi in a hilarious way.He also kills his brother and also takes on the responsibility of taking care of Divya, with the help of Swetha.
- Karthi as Rocket Raja / Rathinavel Pandian IPS
- Tamannaah as Shwetha
- Santhanam as Kaatu Poochi
- Baby Rakshana as Divya Rathinavel Pandian
- Avinash as Bavuji
- Rajiv Kanakala as Policeman
- Megha Nair as Jhansi
- Manobala as Boom Boom
- Santhana Bharathi as Minister
- Bhumika Chawla as Wife of Rathinavel Pandian (In portrait)
- Meghna Naidu in a Special appearance
Character map of Siruthai and its remakes
|Ulta Palta 69 (2007)
|Veera Madakari (2009)
|Bikram Singha (2012)
|Rowdy Rathore (2012)
|Ravi Teja||Manna||Sudeep||Karthi||Prosenjit Chatterjee||Akshay Kumar|
|Anushka Shetty||Ragini Dwivedi||Tamannaah||Richa Gangopadhyay||Sonakshi Sinha|
In 2008, reports emerged that Vikramarkudu would be remade in Tamil with Karthi. Ruthika and Anushka, who acted in original, were considered for the female leads. Suraj of Thalainagaram was said to be the director. VV Kathir who directed Jeeva starrer Thenavattu was also announced as director but Sivakumar advised Karthi to do strong characters before making a mark as action hero thus the project was dropped. The project was revived in 2010 and Siva, who directed films like Souryam and Sankham, was selected as director making his debut in Tamil. Tamannah was chosen as heroine after Paiyaa.
The soundtrack album to the film was composed by Vidyasagar and features five songs. It was described as "bland" by Rediff, while Sify called it "catchy and youthful". Behindwoods gave a 2.5/5 rating, claiming that it "emphasizes the fact that it is a commercial entertainer. This may not be Vidyasagar's best album but he has given what the movie requires: A crisp album with short and sweet songs [...] Siruthai is a worthy listen to and must appeal to Karthi's fans is a huge way".
|1.||"Naan Romba Roba"||Na. Muthukumar||Ranjith|
|2.||"Chellam Vada Chellam"||Na. Muthukumar||Udit Narayan, Roshan & Surmukhi|
|3.||"Azhagha Poranthuputa"||Viveka||Malathy Laxman & Priyadharshini|
|5.||"Adi Rakkamma Rakku"||Pa.vijay||Ranjith, Suchitra & Roshan|
The film was met with mixed response from most critics and audiences. Behindwoods gave a 2/5 rating and wrote: "Watch Siruthai if you are a hardcore mass masala fan. Since the originality of the Telugu version is retained, when released in Andhra this movie might serve as Karthi’s launch pad in Tollywood. Chances are that you might like Karthi, who is trying his best to prevent the movie from its impending dive into the depths of hackneyed void." Sify claimed that Siruthai had "come out as a festival bonanza for Tamil film goers. It is an unpretentious commercial pot boiler with ample doses of romance, comedy, action and emotion". Indiaglitz, another portal said "'Siruthai' is fit and fine for a good leap. With Karthi trying new vistas not missing out on the entertainment quotient, it is an obvious sweet pongal for masses this Pongal. Action and satisfaction is what 'Siruthai' is". N. Venkateswaran from the Times of India deemed a score of 2.5/5, citing that it "does not do anything for Karthi as an actor; what it does is to cement his position in the Tamil film industry as an actor who is a big draw at the box office". Malathi Rangarajan from The Hindu noted: "Generally, well-told cop stories don't bite the dust. Nor do dual role bonanzas. Going by the norm, this Siruthai should charge ahead!" Chennai Online stated: "Though the formula used in the flick could appeal to the masses, the director could have thought of some fresh sequences to make the movie more exciting". Oneindia.in remarked: "You can watch the film with your family because of the entertaining elements. It has a perfect mix of romance, action, fun, comedy, glamour and sentiments. It is a perfect Pongal treat for Kollywood audience. Do not miss this movie".
- Siruthai budget was 13 crore
- "Remake Renaissance in Kollywood". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 23-2-2011. Retrieved 10-5-2011.
- "Suraj waits for Karthi". Behindwoods. 7-5-2011. Retrieved 19-3-2011.
- "First Look: Karthi in Siruthai - Rediff.com Movies". Rediff.com. 2010-11-10. Retrieved 2011-02-26.
- "Wedding Bells for Karthi". Sify.com. 2011-04-28. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- Raghavan, Nikhil (16 April 2011). "Itsy-bitsy". The Hindu (Chennai, India).
- "Secrets about 'Saguni' - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. 2011-05-05. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- "'Vikramarkudu' goes to Kollywood - Telugu Movie News". IndiaGlitz. 2008-09-10. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- "Why Karthi dropped Kathir's Siruthai? - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. 2009-10-30. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- "Karthi in Tamil's Vikramarkudu - Telugu Movie News". IndiaGlitz. 2010-02-11. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- "Karthi prefers Tamannah - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. 2010-03-09. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- "Siruthai is Karthi's show all the way - Rediff.com Movies". Rediff.com. 2011-01-14. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- "'Siruthai' is a family entertainer (Tamil Film Review; Rating: ***)". Sify.com. 2011-01-15. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- "SIRUTHAI MUSIC REVIEW - SIRUTHAI MP3 DOWNLOAD - TAMIL MOVIE SIRUTHAI MUSIC REVIEW - TAMIL SONGS DOWNLOAD - TAMIL FILM MUSIC - SIRUTHAI MP3 - SIRUTHAI SONGS". Behindwoods.com. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- "Siruthai Movie Review - Tamil Movie Siruthai Movie Review". Behindwoods.com. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- "Siruthai Tamil Movie Review - cinema preview stills gallery trailer video clips showtimes". IndiaGlitz. 2011-01-15. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- "Siruthai". The Times Of India. 29 January 2011.
- "Cops, crooks and a comedy". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 23 January 2011.
- "Movie Review: 'Siruthai' | Movie Review - Movies". ChennaiOnline. 2011-01-17. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- Social Post (2011-01-15). "Siruthai - Movie Review | Reviews - Oneindia Entertainment". Entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved 2012-11-08.