Sissi – The Young Empress
|Sissi - Die junge Kaiserin|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Ernst Marischka|
|Produced by||Karl Ehrlich
|Written by||Ernst Marischka|
|Music by||Anton Profes|
|Running time||101 min.|
Sissi – The Young Empress (German: Sissi - Die junge Kaiserin) is a 1956 film directed by Ernst Marischka and starring Romy Schneider, Karlheinz Böhm, Magda Schneider, Uta Franz, Gustav Knuth, Vilma Degischer and Josef Meinrad. It was entered into the 1957 Cannes Film Festival. It is the second film in the Sissi trilogy, following Sissi and preceding Sissi - Fateful Years of an Empress.
Sissi slowly adapts to life as empress of Austria, but her mother-in-law is hard to live with. Archduchess Sophie adheres to the long-established rules protocol and etiquette, and constantly interferes not only with the emperor's government of the empire but in his family life as well. When Sissi's first child is born, the Archduchess Sophie insists on taking away the child to raise her, because she feels Sissi is too young and unqualified to do so. Sophie also feels that Sissi's place is not in the nursery with her baby, but with her husband as the emperor travels around the empire. A scandal threatens to break out when Sissi leaves Vienna and returns to Bavaria to see her parents. She keeps the truth from her mother, but confesses to her father that she cannot live with Archduchess Sophie's constant criticism and tyranny. Franz Joseph follows her and finally convinces her to return to Vienna. This strengthens Sissi's influence with the emperor, and she supports Prince Gyula Andrássy and the cause of the Hungarians for equal standing in the Empire. The movie concludes with her being crowned Queen of the Hungarians in Budapest. (In fact the coronation was not held until 1867, but "Sissi--The Young Empress" brings the event forward in time to make the ceremony appear to be a confirmation of Sissi's improving status as empress.)
- Romy Schneider - Empress Elisabeth of Austria, or "Sissi"
- Karlheinz Böhm - Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria
- Vilma Degischer - Archduchess Sophie, Franz Joseph's mother
- Erich Nikowitz - Archduke Franz Karl, Franz Joseph's father
- Magda Schneider - Duchess Ludovika in Bavaria, Sissi's mother
- Gustav Knuth - Duke Max in Bavaria, Sissi's father
- Josef Meinrad - Major Böckl
- Richard Eybner - Postmaster of Ischl
- Walter Reyer - Count Andrássy
- Senta Wengraf - Countess Bellegarde
- Helene Lauterböck - Countess Esterhazy-Liechtenstein
- "Festival de Cannes: Sissi - The Young Empress". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-02-08.