Sittingbourne and Sheppey (UK Parliament constituency)
|Sittingbourne and Sheppey|
|for the House of Commons|
Boundary of Sittingbourne and Sheppey in Kent.
Location of Kent within England.
|Electorate||74,796 (December 2010)|
|Member of Parliament||Gordon Henderson (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|European Parliament constituency||South East England|
Implementing the Fourth Periodic Review of Westminster constituencies in 2003-4 of the Boundary Commission, Parliament made major changes to the existing constituency boundaries as a consequence of population changes in the county, taking effect in 2005, whereas the Fifth Review simply saw the full inclusion of the previously shared Teynham and Lynsted ward from Faversham and Mid Kent seat from 2010.
Since this date the seat has electoral wards:
- Borden, Chalkwell, Grove, Hartlip, Newington and Upchurch, Iwade and Lower Halstow, Kemsley, Leysdown and Warden, Milton Regis, Minster Cliffs, Murston, Queenborough and Halfway, Roman, St Michaels, Sheerness East, Sheerness West, Sheppey Central, West Downs, and Woodstock in the Borough of Swale
The constituency has been a bellwether (of the national result) since its 1997 creation. Unemployment claimant levels in November 2012 were close to the national average (3.8%) at 4.5%, in line with Cleethorpes, Thurrock, Hammersmith and Meriden.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2010: Sittingbourne and Sheppey|
|Liberal Democrat||Keith Nevols||7,943||16.4||+3.6|
|Monster Raving Loony||Mad Mike Young||319||0.7||+0.7|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing||+12.7|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Sittingbourne and Sheppey|
|Liberal Democrat||Jane Nelson||5,183||12.7||-1.4|
|Rock 'n' Roll Loony||Mad Mike Young||479||1.2||-0.6|
|General Election 2001: Sittingbourne and Sheppey|
|Liberal Democrat||Elvina Lowe||5,353||14.1||-4.2|
|Rock 'n' Roll Loony||Mad Mike Young||673||1.8||N/A|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Sittingbourne and Sheppey|
|Liberal Democrat||Roger Truelove||8,447||18.3|
|Referendum Party||P. Moull||1,082||2.3|
|Monster Raving Loony||C. Driver||644||1.4|
Notes and References
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- 2010 post-revision map non-metropolitan areas and unitary authorities of England
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "S" (part 3)[self-published source][better source needed]