17 February 1985 |
Singampuneri, Sivaganga District, Tamil Nadu, India
|Occupation||Film actor, stand-up comedian, television presenter, Singer|
Sivakarthikeyan (born 17 February 1985) is an Indian film actor, television anchor, stand-up comedian working in the Tamil film industry and Television Industry. He made his debut in the movie Marina and Manam Kothi Paravai (2012) before making a breakthrough in 2013 with Ethir Neechal (2013) and Varuthapadatha Valibar Sangam (2013).
Sivakarthikeyan was born in Singampunari. His father was a Police officer, He has a sister, who is a doctor in Tiruchirapalli. He completed his schooling in Campion Anglo-Indian Higher Secondary School, Tiruchirappalli and then undertook his Bachelor of Computer Engineering at JJ College of Engineering and he also completed MBA in Indian Institute of Planning and Management Chennai. He married his cousin Aarthi on 27 August 2010 and has a baby girl Aaradhana, born on 22 October 2013.
During his college days he took part in various cultural events and performed mimicry and standup comedy on stage. Between his engineering graduation and the commencement of his MBA course he had three months break and during this period his friends convinced him to go for auditions of Kalakka Povathu Yaaru, a reality show for comedy aired on STAR Vijay. Despite initial reluctance to participate, he won the show. He then continued his television appearances by participating in dance-reality shows, pairing up with Aishwarya Prabhakar in Jodi Number One Season 3 and then in Boys Vs Girls Season 1 and 2. He received further opportunities to host several shows on STAR Vijay like Airtel Super Singer and Jodi Number One Season 5. He hosted the special edition of a popular talk show,Koffee with Siva. However it was his game show, Athu Ithu Ethu that made him reach a wide range of audience. He got opportunities to host promotional film events as well as the 5th and 6th editions of the Vijay Awards. He regularly appeared in short films including his friend Atlee's Mugapputhagam, Identity, Kurahl 786 and 360°, while balancing his career as a television host.
After seeing him host the audio launch function of the film Vaagai Sooda Vaa, Director Pandiraj approached him to play the lead role in his film Marina, and Sivakarthikeyan signed the project. He prepared for his first role by paying close attention to Pandiraj's instructions and visiting Marina Beach extensively to study the surroundings, while revealing that he hoped that his natural talent of humour would come through on-screen. Featuring alongside Oviya as a young couple in the film, Siva's performance was well received with a critic noting "the romance adds color to a monochrome film", while the reviewer also noted that the "role of Senthilnathan requires Siva to be just himself, it is just a cake walk in terms of performance for this actor." Prior to Marina 's release, Aishwarya Dhanush had signed him up to play a supporting role as Dhanush's friend in 3, after being impressed with his work on stage as a host. Following significant pre-release hype, the film opened to predominantly positive reviews with critics appreciating Sivakarthikeyan's work providing comic relief in a serious film. The project also marked the beginning of an association with Dhanush, whom Sivakarthikeyan has often stated is his mentor in the film industry. He was next seen in Ezhil's romantic comedy Manam Kothi Paravai, which opened to mixed reviews but had a decent run at the box office. A critic noted that the film "might not provide Sivakarthikeyan the platform he is aspiring for – lead roles in movies. But it does showcase his potential as an actor, moving away from the annals of a comedian."
In 2013 he appeared in three commercially successful films which hits 100 days. In his first release of the year,Kedi Billa Killadi Ranga, a dual hero coming-of-age comedy, Sivakarthikeyan partnered once again with Pandiraj and shot for the film in his home town of Tiruchirappalli alongside Vimal. The film opened to positive reviews with critics. The film became a surprise success at the box office and ended up being a profitable venture for producers and distributors, It brings out the acting skill of him. His next success was through Dhanush's debut production venture Ethir Neechal, written and directed by Durai Senthilkumar, a former assistant of film director, Vetrimaran. It is a story about a Common Young man having talent as a runner, who strives to make his identity into a pride one. His third release in 2013, director Ponram's comedy Varuthapadatha Valibar Sangam, saw him portray a carefree rural youth where he paired up with another new comer Sri Divya. Actor Soori played an important role in the film as Sivakarthikeyan's close aide. It was also the first time that Sivakarthikeyan sung a song in a film and a promotional video of its making was released to market the film. He won positive reviews for his performance from critics, with Sify noting "Sivakarthikeyan is terrific as Bosepandi because he makes this yarn look so believable on screen with his body language, eyes and dialogue delivery". Another reviewer called him a delight to watch and claimed that he carried the script. The film completed 100 days during its theatrical run and is Sivakarthikeyan's biggest commercial box office success to date. Sivakarthikeyan's entertaining performances in 2013 has led him winning the Vijay Awards 2013 for the "Entertainer of the year". "It was the memorable moment," says Sivakarthikeyan.
He started the year 2014 with a comedy fantasy film Maan Karate produced by A R Murugadoss. The film featured him as a carefree urban youth who fakes himself as a boxer to impress a girl. The film released with mixed reviews but went on to become a hit at the box office.
In 2015 Sivakarthikeyan paired up once again with his Ethir Neechal director, Durai Senthilkumar, for a cop film, Kakki Sattai. The film released on 27 February 2015 with positive review stating that Sivakarthikeyan entertains. So far, the film has got great opening at the box office. It was a story about a sincere Constable who take risks to protect black Organ donation and having aim to becom Inspector. He is also shooting for the film Rajini Murugan where he will be portraying a role of a real estate broker and he will be romancing actress Keerthi Suresh from Malayalam industry. The movie's first look will be released on April 25 in Vijay Annual Awards (9th Edition), audio will be launched in June 7 and the movie is expected to be released on July 17.
|2012||Marina||Senthilnathan||The Chennai Times Film Awards - Promising Newcomer (male)
Techofes Award for Best Debut Actor
|Manam Kothi Paravai||Kannan|
|2013||Kedi Billa Killadi Ranga||'Pattai' Murugan|
|Ethir Neechal||Kunjithapatham (Harish)||SIIMA Award for Best Actor|
|Varuthapadatha Valibar Sangam||Bose Pandi|
|2015||Kaaki Sattai||R. Mathimaran|
|Rajini Murugan||Rajini Murugan||Post -Production|
|Vajrakaya||Kannada film; cameo appearance in a song|
As a Singer
|2013||Varuthapadatha Valibar Sangam||"Varuthapadatha Valibar Sangam"||D. Imman|
|2014||Maan Karate||"Royapuram Peter"||Anirudh Ravichander|
|2015||Kakki Sattai||"I'm So Cool"||Anirudh Ravichander|
Awards and Nominations
- Vikatan Award - Best Anchor for Jodi No.1 (2011)
- Mudhal Moovar Award (2012)
- Women Exclusive Magazine Award (2013)
- Behindwoods Gold Medal Award Best Entertaining Performance for Ethir Neechal & Varuthapadatha Valibar Sangam (2013)
- Neeya Naana Awards - Best Entertainer Of The Year (2013)
- Vijay Television Awards - Pride of Vijay TV (2013)
- Vijay Award for Entertainer of the Year for Kedi Billa Killadi Ranga / Ethir Neechal / Varuthapadatha Valibar Sangam (2013)
- Edison Awards - The Rising Star (2014)
- SICA Award for Youth Icon (2014)
- Vijay Award for Best Debut Actor for Marina (2012)
- SIIMA Awards for Sensation of South Indian cinema.
- "Life profile of Vijay Tv Anchor Sivakarthikeyan and his family details". tamilstar.com. Retrieved 11 December 2012.
- zacky/articleshow/20791108.cms I never thought I’d become a hero: karthik zacky – The Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (27 June 2013). Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- Love and laughter. The Hindu (15 March 2012). Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- Marina Review – Marina Movie Review. Behindwoods.com. Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- Here’s why Siva is unhappy!. The New Indian Express. Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- Movie Review : 3. Sify.com. Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- Manam Kothi Paravai Review – Manam Kothi Paravai Movie Review. Behindwoods.com. Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- Smart Alec. The Hindu (2 February 2013). Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- Movie Review : Kedi Billa Killadi Ranga review. Sify.com. Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- Review: Kedi Billa Killadi Ranga is an entertainer – Rediff.com Movies. Rediff.com (29 March 2013). Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- Kedi Billa Killadi Ranga-A mass hit. Sify.com (5 April 2013). Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- Mannath, Malini. (8 September 2013) Varuthapadatha Vaalibar Sangam: Karthikeyan's splendid take. The New Indian Express. Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- Yet another century for Sivakarthikeyan – The Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (14 December 2013). Retrieved on 13 April 2014.
- 6 July 2014 09:10 IST (2014-07-06). "Vijay Awards: Ajith's 'Arrambam', Kamal Haasan, Sivakarthikeyan Bag Awards [Winners List]". Ibtimes.co.in. Retrieved 2014-08-05.
- "CHENNAI BOX OFFICE". Behindwoods. 25 May 2014.
- "Chennai Box-Office". Sify. 21 Apr 2014.
- The author has posted comments on this article. "Sivakarthikeyan gets Lakshmi Menon - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2014-08-05.
- Sivakarthikeyan speaks about his Police Character in Kaaki Sattai Movie
- Sivakarthikeyan at the Internet Movie Database
- Sivakarthikeyan Photos at Veethi
- Sivakarthikeyan on Facebook
- Sivakarthikeyan on Instagram