|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2014)|
- For the town in France, see Sixt-Fer-à-Cheval.
|Traded as||FWB: SIX2|
|Headquarters||Pullach, Bavaria, Germany|
|Key people||Erich Sixt (CEO and chairman of the executive board), Gunter Thielen (Chairman of the supervisory board) Regine Sixt (Senior Executive Vice President)|
|Employees||3,052 (December 2011)|
|Subsidiaries||DriveNow (JV with BMW)
MyDriver (MD Digital Mobility GmbH & Co. KG)
Sixt (Sixt GmbH & Co. Autovermietung KG) is a worldwide car rental company located in over 100 countries with over 2,000 locations. Sixt is currently the 5th largest car rental company in the world and has a car rental fleet with over 225,000 vehicles. Sixt was founded in 1912 by Martin Sixt in Munich, and has continuously expanded internationally.
The company is owned 57% by the Sixt family. The remainder of the shares is traded stock. Several family members manage the company: Erich Sixt (CEO), Regine Sixt (Marketing), Alexander Sixt (Corporate Development), Konstantin Sixt (Online). Sixt is named after the founder's last name Martin Sixt.
History of Sixt rent a car
Sixt was founded in 1912 with three vehicles in downtown Munich, the vehicles he had were Deutz Landauler de Luxe and two Daimlers. It was originally called "Martin Sixt Autofahrten". Then World War I came and all of the vehicles were used for the war. After the war the name of the business was changed to "Sixt Autofahrten". Then Sixt withstood the time of WWII by hiding three cars during the war. Once the war was over Sixt brought out these three vehicles and tried again to become a car rental company. Sixt was passed down from generation to generation and is now being run by the third generation of the Sixt family. Sixt has expanded through the years and has become the leading car rental company in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.
Sixt offers car rentals in more than 105 countries and 2,000 locations.
Sixt was Bavaria's first car rental company in 1912. Sixt also became one of the first leasing companies in Germany in 1969. Today Sixt is the largest car rental company with over 460 car rental locations in Germany.
In addition to standard car rentals, Sixt has created a joint venture with BMW to create a car sharing program called DriveNow in 2011. Sixt has a subsidiary called myDriver, offering a limousine service.
Sixt started operations in Croatia in 2001, and currently operates in all of its main cities. Sixt is one of the leading car rental companies in Croatia with more than 1400 vehicles offering the usual comprehensive selection ranging from economy class to high-end luxury cars.
Sixt started operations in the USA in 2011 and plans to expand throughout the US with franchisee and corporate locations at every major airport terminal. As of May 2014 Sixt has over 30 locations in the US and is operating in 10 states.
The Shlomo Group operates a franchise in Israel, under the brand Shlomo Sixt.
- "Sixt Celebrates 100th Anniversary in Munich". Auto Rental News. 7 November 2012. Retrieved 16 August 2014.
- "Say Hello to Sixt". Auto Rental News. January 2013. Retrieved 16 August 2014.
- "Sixt and Eye Airports launch innovative ad campaign at Gatwick". Moodie Report. 6 August 2014. Retrieved 16 August 2014.
- http://ie.sixt.com/car-rental/germany. Missing or empty
- "BMW’s car-sharing innovation". Financial Times. 25 November 2013. Retrieved 16 August 2014.
- "SIXT MYDRIVER RELEASES ANDROID APP - LIMOUSINE SERVICE IN YOUR POCKET". The Unwired. 24 September 2013. Retrieved 16 August 2014.
- "History of Sixt rent a car". Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- "Timeline | Redspot Sixt Rent a Car". Retrieved 2 January 2013.
- Maierbrugger, Arno (29 June 2013). "Sixt drives into Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam". Inside Investor. Retrieved 30 June 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sixt.|