Sixteen Mile Creek (Halton Region)
|Sixteen Mile Creek (niizhozaagiwan ("having two outlets" in Mississauga))|
|Rivière de Gravois ("gravelly river" in French)|
Sixteen Mile at Milton, Ontario
|Region||Greater Toronto Area|
|Part of||Great Lakes Basin|
|- elevation||365 m (1,198 ft)|
|- elevation||74 m (243 ft)|
|Basin||372 km2 (144 sq mi)|
Sixteen Mile Creek is a river in Halton Region in the Greater Toronto Area of Ontario, Canada. It is in the Great Lakes Basin, and flows from the Niagara Escarpment through the towns of Milton and Oakville to Lake Ontario.
Like many creeks draining into Lake Ontario, Sixteen Mile Creek has cut a deep valley that is home to a broad range of wildlife, including whitetail deer, raccoons, foxes, opossum, and squirrels. The forest contains tree species typical of the Carolinian forest habitat, although since this is close to the northern limit of this zone, some are poorly represented. The total area of the drainage basin is 372 square kilometres (144 sq mi).
- East Sixteen Mile Creek (left)
- Middle Sixteen Mile Creek (left)
- "Sixteen Mile Creek". Geographical Names Data Base. Natural Resources Canada. http://www4.rncan.gc.ca/search-place-names/unique.php?id=FCOTA&output=xml. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- Dunn, p. 4-6.
- FREELANG Ojibwe-English and English-Ojibwe online dictionary
- "French Sketch Map, c. 1760". Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- Dunn, p. 110-112.
- Dunn, p. 52.
- Dunn, p. 4.
- Witteveen, Gordon (2001). A century of greenkeeping. Chelsea, Mich: Ann Arbor Press. p. 149. ISBN 978-1-57504-161-2. OCLC 46364702. Retrieved 16 February 2012.
- "Unknown title". Inland seas (Great Lakes Historical Society) 18: 59. 1962. ISSN 0020-1537. Retrieved 16 February 2012.
- Dunn, Andrea. "Sixteen Mile Creek Monitoring Project (Draft)". Credit River Anglers Association. Archived from the original on 5 July 2011.
Other map sources:
- Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (2010-01-01) (PDF). Map 3 (Map). 1 : 700,000. Official road map of Ontario. http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/traveller/map/images/pdf/southont/sheets/Map3.pdf. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing (2006). Restructured municipalities - Ontario map #6 (Map). Restructuring Maps of Ontario. http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Asset1611.aspx. Retrieved 2014-04-18.