||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (December 2008)|
Sixth grade (called Grade 6 in some regions) is a year of education in many nations, and usually the start of middle school.
- 1 Africa
- 2 Asia
- 3 Europe
- 4 North America
- 5 Oceania
- 6 South America
- 7 References
- 8 See also
In Senegal, it would correspond to 6ème Lycee. It's the first grade of the third cycle called "Collège" (French)
In Morocco, it would correspond to the sixth and the last year of elementary school, it's the last year before middle school.
In China, 6th grade would be the last year of elementary school.
In Malaysia, the equivalent is Year 6 also known as Standard 6, as the Malaysia academic year starts in January, unlike in Europe, Canada, and the United States where it starts in August. Students will sit for an important exam called "UPSR(Ujian Pentaksiran Sekolah Rendah)", which translates from Malay into English as Low/Elementary School Assessment Test.
In Finland, equivalent is grade 6 (ages 13–16). Sixth grade is the last grade before students start attending Middle School.
In Germany, it would be equivalent to 6. Klasse.
In the Republic of Ireland, the equivalent is 6th Class or Rang a sé which is the eighth and final year of Primary School.
In Malta, 6th grade is equivalent to Form 1 age of 11-12. This is the first year where students have different teachers for each subject but most schools have the same classroom for most of the subjects(such as Mathematics, English, Italian, French, science, Maltese etc.). This is the first year of secondary school.
In Belgium 6th grade is equivalent to the 6th study year.
In Portugal, the sixth grade (sexto ano, 6º ano) is the second year of the two-year 2º Ciclo do Ensino Básico that includes also the fifth grade. Starting with the school year of 2011/2012, students take final exams (provas finais) at the end of the sixth grade.
In Sweden 6th grade is called Sjätte klass (6th class) Usually the kids in 6th class are 12 years old.
Its English and Welsh equivalent is Year 7, the first year of secondary school in most counties. Its Northern Irish equivalent is First Form or Year 8, which is also the first year of secondary school. The Scottish equivalent is S1, which is the first year of Secondary school.
In Canada, they start sexual education. Learning about puberty helping them later in life. Also lightly learning about drugs, bullying/ cyber-bullying. In some parts of Ontario students are in a program specifically for drugs and types of bullying. This program is named V.I.P. (V.values; I. influences; P. peers). Grade 6 students in Ontario do a provincial test EQAO. For students in French immersion their whole test is written in English. Where in Third grade their math portion was in French. In many schools, children are either beginning middle school or their last year of elementary school.In Science they will start to learn about flight (Science).If you get put in a 6/7 split class you start learning about sexuality (sex)
The sixth grade is the sixth school year after kindergarten. Students are usually 11–12 years of age.
There is no clear consensus across the United States on whether to include sixth grade as the last year in elementary school, or as the first year of middle school. This can even be seen at the local level, where adjacent districts can differ on what level sixth grade occupies.
Students usually have different teachers for each subject, normally with 5-6 subjects which should include social studies, math, science, reading, and writing. Sometimes reading and writing are combined to form language arts. Sixth graders often have lockers in the United States.
- In mathematics, students learn about Fractions and decimals. Exponents are also generally introduced, and students learn about the properties of circles and polygons, and the measurement of angles in degrees. Pre-Algebra and Algebra I are taught in some schools, as honors courses.
- In science, students usually learn about life science, physical science, earth science. Students are introduced to scientific methodology, taxonomy, and ecology.
- In English, students usually learn about grammar and the different types of writing (e.g. poetry, narrative, book report, research report).
- In social studies, the curriculum varies from state to state, and oftentimes from local district to local district. Many states, such as New York, focus on the Eastern Hemisphere- usually with an emphasis on pre-modern eras (Ancient Civilizations, Middle Ages, etc...)
In Australia, Sixth grade is the last or second last year of Primary School, however in Australia it is more commonly called "Year 6".
The nomenclature for all school grades in Brazil, including Sixth, was recently changed. In that sense, sixth grade (ages 11 and 12) corresponds now to Brazil's seventh grade.
In Argentina sixth grade (age 11) is the last grade of primary school.
- "Ensino Básico e Secundário". cdp.portodigital.pt (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- "Alunos do 4.º ano vão ter exames a partir do próximo ano". www.jn.pt (in Portuguese). controlinveste. 2012-03-26. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- Clara Viana (2012-03-26). "Alunos do 4.º ano já farão exames em 2013". Público (in Portuguese). Sonae.com. Retrieved 2012-10-15.