Sixtus was a Roman name, a corruption of the Greek name "Ξυστος," meaning "polished," and originally Latinized "Xystus." It its Spanish form Sixto it is still used as a personal name. It is not to be confused with the common Roman praenomen "Sextus," meaning "sixth," though not necessarily denoting a sixth child.
- Pope Sixtus I (115/116–125)
- Pope Sixtus II (257–258)
- Pope Sixtus III (432–440)
- Pope Sixtus IV (1471–1484)
- Pope Sixtus V (1585–1590)
Other notable people named Sixtus include:
- Sixtus of Siena (1520–1569)
- Edmund Sixtus Muskie (1914–1996)
- Prince Sixtus of Bourbon-Parma (1886–1934)
- Prince Sixtus Henry of Bourbon-Parma (*1940)
- Sixtus Petraeus Father of former CIA Director David Petraeus
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.