1997 taken by Sean Murphy
|Origin||Hollywood, California, USA|
|Genres||Power Pop, Alternative rock, Indie rock|
|Associated acts||Linus Of Hollywood
The Bastard Kings of Rock
Linus of Hollywood
Size 14 was a rock band in the late 1990s based out of Hollywood that gained some notoriety with the novelty song "Claire Danes Poster". This song appeared on the Dude, Where's My Car? soundtrack; other Size 14 songs appeared on movies such as Sugar & Spice, 100 Girls, and 100 Women.
Size 14 started after Linus of Hollywood answered an ad placed by bassist Robt Ptak in Recycler magazine looking for a lead or rhythm guitarist. Initially Ptak and Linus listened to each other's tracks, and decided to work on the demos Linus brought to the table. They demoed all the material on Ptak's 8-track. Linus then pulled in his roommate Kevin Danczak to play guitar for Size 14. Drummer Dave Armstrong initially moved to Los Angeles to be in Ptak's solo project Artificial Joy; Armstrong recorded drum tracks for some of this material. (Artificial Joy would later become a full live band when Ptak moved to New York City.) Ptak then asked Armstrong to join Size 14 as their drummer. Linus stated in an interview that the track "Rollin in the 510" was about Kevin's old car. Size 14's sound came from Linus being influenced at the time by bands such as Ridel High, Shufflepuck, That Dog, and Weezer.
|Studio album by Size 14|
|Released||June 29, 1997|
Their only studio album, Size 14 was released in 1997. All songs were produced by Mike Clink
|1.||"Claire Danes Poster"||3:01|
|2.||"Sleeping in The Wet Spot"||3:21|
|4.||"Superbabe 2000 (Keyboards – Daryl Dragon, Vocals – Sherbert)"||4:22|
|5.||"Rollin In The 5-1-0 (Keyboards – Daryl Dragon, Vocals – Sherbert)"||3:14|
|6.||"People Get Really Drunk In Las Vegas"||3:01|
|7.||"Agostino (Guitar [Toy Guitar Solo] – Mark Agostino)"||0:17|
|8.||"Death Metal Steve (Piano – Linus)"||3:55|
|9.||"Let's Rob a Bank (Keyboards – Daryl Dragon)"||3:15|
|10.||"Earthquake (Keyboards – Daryl Dragon, Performer [Argument] – Heather Toonen and Robt Ptak, Voice [Announcement] – Ace London)"||3:47|
|13.||"I Touched Her Ass (Keyboards – Daryl Dragon)"||4:07|
|14.||"Jimmy Whalen (Voice [Answering Machine Message] – Jimmy Whalen)"||3:00|
Size 14 officially disbanded in early 1998 after founding member Ptak moved to New York City. In addition, the band's record label, Volcano Entertainment went out of business.
Guitarist Danczak played guitar and bass in Captain Genius from 2002 to 2007; the band released two albums.
Singer Linus of Hollywood has released three solo albums. As of December 2013[update] he is one half of the band Jarinus, plays guitar and keyboard in Nerf Herder, and runs Crappy Records with Jaret Reddick of Bowling for Soup. Linus is also involved in producing and songwriting for other bands such as Allstar Weekend, Bowling For Soup, and The Charlatans.
Linus released his fourth solo album in 2014 titled Something Good via the Pledgemusic platform.
- Size 14 - Size 14 (July 29, 1997)
Non Album Tracks
- Give Satan A Hug (on the Mulletcore CD from Drive Thru Records)
- Mrs.Claus - (on the VA - A Punk and Ska Christmas Gone Wrong CD)
- Mental Patient
- Fudge ( earlier version of Sleeping In The Wetspot )
- Faster ( Mike Clink Album Sessions )
- Cooties ( Mike Clink Album sessions )
- Boyfriend ( Mike Clink album sessions )
- Fixin to Rock ( 8 Track Demos )
- Pedestrian Walker ( 8 Track Demos )
- Binoculars ( 8 Track Demos )
- Galipault, Gerry (1997-10-30). "Sizing Up size 14". Pause and Play.
- "Size 14 Official Website". Size 14 Official Site. 1999.
- Magnusson, Fredrik (2001). "Say Hello To Romance". Torpedopop.
- "IMDB.com Size 14 Movie Soundtrack Listings". IMDB.
- Paltrowitz, Darren (1999). "An Interview with Linus Of Hollywood". TransAction Magazine.
- "Size 14 Interview iMusic.Com archive". iMusic.com. 1996.
- Paltrowitz, Darren (1999). "Linus Of Hollywood Website Quote". Rock The World.
- "Linus Interview with Trashpit Magazine". TrashPitMagazine. 2011.
- "allmusic.com". allmusic.com.
- Gorman, Chris. "Size 14 Reivew". Punknews. Retrieved November 26, 2001.
- "Captain Genius Band of the day". Bandoftheband.com.
- "Jarinus". Retrieved December 11, 2013.
- "Linus Of Hollywod Discography". LinusOfHollywood.com.
- "Linus Of Hollywood 'Something Good'".
- Size 14 Official Facebook Page run by Bassist Robt Ptak
- Size 14 Bassist Robt Ptak Page
- Size 14 Amazon Overview
- Size 14's Official Myspace
- Size 14's Official Website from the late 90s
- Bowling for Soup covering "Claire Danes Poster"
- Size 14 on VH1.com
- Artist Direct page
- Their 1997 album on Volcano Records
- Size 14 News Article 2013