Jacobus Nicolaas (Sjaak) Brinkkemper (born Monnickendam, 18 January 1958) is a Dutch computer scientist, and Full Professor of organisation and information at the Department of Information and Computing Sciences of Utrecht University.
Brinkkemper received a BA from the University of Amsterdam in 1980 and an MSc from the Radboud University Nijmegen in 1984, both in Mathematics. In 1990 he received a PhD at the same university with his thesis Formalisation of information systems modelling, supervised by Eckhard Falkenberg and Alex Verrijn Stuart.
In 1984 he became an Assistant Professor at the department of Informatics at the Radboud University. In 1992 he became Associate Professor at the University of Twente. In addition, he has been a process architect at Baan from 1996 to 2002 and a consultant at Emendas for another year. Since 2004 Brinkkemper is Full Professor at Utrecht University, where he leads a group of about twenty researchers specialized in product software development and entrepreneurship.
He is a member of the editorial boards of the journals Business Informatics, European Journal of Information Systems, Journal of Database Management, Journal on Information Systems and e-Business Management, and Management Information Systems Quarterly. Since 1989 he is a member of the International Federation for Information Processing IFIP WG 8.1 working group on information systems design and evaluation.
Brinkkemper's research interests are methodology of product software development, software implementation, methods, requirements management, method engineering, information systems methodology, CASE-tools, and system development tools.
- CCU Delivery
- Dynamic Systems Development Method
- Metadata modeling
- Meta-Process Modeling
- Process modeling
- Process-data diagram
- Requirement prioritization
- Software ecosystem
- Venture capital financing
- 1990. Formalisation of information systems modelling. PhD thesis Radboud University, Nijmegen 1990
- 1994. Metrics in Method Engineering. With Matti Rossi.
- 1996. Method engineering: principles of method construction and tool support. With Kalle Lyytinen and Richard J. Welke. International Federation for Information Processing.
- 2000. Information systems engineering: state of the art and research themes. With Janis Bubenko, Eva Lindencrona and Arne Sølvberg.
- 2002. Engineering information systems in the Internet context. With Colette Rolland and Motoshi Saeki. IFIP TC8/WG8.1.
- 2007. Conceptual Modelling in Information Systems Engineering. With John Krogstie, and Andreas Lothe Opdahl, eds. Berlin: Springer. pp. xiv+342. ISBN 3-540-72676-4.
- 2007. Situational Method Engineering: Fundamentals and Experiences: Proceedings of the IFIP WG 8.1 Working Conference, 12–14 September 2007, Geneva, Switzerland. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, Vol. 244. With Jolita Ralyté, and Brian Henderson-Sellers, eds. Berlin: Springer. pp. xii+368. ISBN 0-387-73946-7.
Articles, a selection:
- Foorthuis, R. and Brinkkemper, S. (July 2008). "Best Practices for Business and Systems Analysis in Projects Conforming to Enterprise Architecture". Enterprise Modelling and Information Systems Architecture 3 (1): 36–47.
- "prof. dr. Sjaak Brinkkemper, Institute of Information and Computing Sciences, Utrecht University.". Retrieved 2009-07-08.
- "IFIP - WG 8.1 - Members". Retrieved 2009-07-08.
- F. Harmsen , M. Saeki (1996). "Comparison of four method engineering languages". In: Proceedings of the IFIP TC8, WG8.1/8.2 working conference on method engineering on Method engineering : principles of method construction and tool support: principles of method construction and tool support. Sjaak Brinkkemper et al. (eds.). p.209-231, January 1996, Atlanta, Georgia, United States.
- "Sjaak Brinkkemper, research interests". Retrieved 2009-07-08.
- Editorial Board Associate Editor: Sjaak Brinkkemper Utrecht University Research Interests. Accessdate 2009-07-14.
- "DBLP: Sjaak Brinkkemper, list of publications from the DBLP Bibliography server". Retrieved 2009-07-08.
- "Sjaak Brinkkemper, complete publication list". Retrieved 2009-07-08.
- Personal web pages at Utrecht University.