|Municipality and village|
Skálavík in July 2012
Location of Skálavíkar kommuna in the Faroe Islands
|State||Kingdom of Denmark|
|Constituent country||Faroe Islands|
|Population (1 January 2006)|
|• Summer (DST)||EST (UTC+1)|
|Postal code||FO 220|
Skálavík, Skaalevig, Skalevig, Skålevig, is a village and municipality on the eastern coast of the Faroese island Sandoy.
In late January 2008 Skálavík was hit by a strong hurricane. The port was destroyed, along with many boats and houses. The damage was so great that emergency aid was provided from Iceland.
Depilin í Skálavík - Donated by the ship owner Eiler Jacobsen
In May 2011 a new center opened in Skálavík. It was donated by shipowner Eiler Jacobsen (1930-2010), who was born in the village. He did not live to see the opening, but he visited the building during the construction. There is a restaurant, a hotel and conference center, activities for children etc. The center was named Skeiðs- og frítíðardepilin Immanuel, but they also use the name "Depilin í Skálavík" (The Center in Skálavík). It was named Immanuel after the ship by the same name in which Eiler Jacobsen's father went missing in 1932.
- Faeroe Islands.dk. "Skálavík". Faeroe Islands.dk. Retrieved 4 December 2011.
- Politiken. "Færøerne får stormhjælp fra Island". Politiken.dk. Retrieved 4 December 2011.
- Aktuelt.fo, Nógv virksemi í deplinum í Skálavík (in Faroese)
- Media related to Skálavík at Wikimedia Commons
- Depil.fo (Depilin í Skálavík (Skeiðs- og frítíðardepilin Immanuel), a holiday and conference center, built in 2010-2011.
- The Tourist Information Center of Sandoy
- Danish site with photographs of Skálavík