Skeleton at the 2010 Winter Olympics – Men's
at the XXI Olympic Winter Games
|Venue||Whistler Sliding Centre|
|Competitors||28 from 17 nations|
|Skeleton at the
2010 Winter Olympics
The men's skeleton event at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, Canada took place at the Whistler Sliding Centre on 18–19 February. Canada's Duff Gibson was the defending Olympic champion. Gibson retired after the 2006 Olympics. Switzerland's Gregor Stähli, the defending Olympic bronze medalist was the defending world champion, but did not compete to a thigh injury sustained during the World Cup event in Lake Placid, New York on 20 November 2009. The test event held at the venue was won by Jon Montgomery of Canada. The last World Cup event prior to the 2010 Games took place in Igls, Austria (southeast of Innsbruck) on 23 January 2010 as was won by Latvia's Martins Dukurs who also won the overall World Cup title.
Canada's Jon Montgomery took the Gold medal, 0.07 seconds ahead of Latvia's Martins Dukurs who had been leading heading into the final run. Bronze was won by Alexander Tretiakov of Russia.
These records were set during the test event for the 2010 Games on 5 February 2009.
|Start||5 February 2009||Alexander Tretiakov (RUS)||4.52|
|Track||5 February 2009||Jeff Pain (CAN)||53.67|
These are the athletes who qualified for the men's event as of 1 February 2010.
First run start order was released on the afternoon of 17 February 2010.
TR - Track Record. Top finish in each run is in boldface.
Douglas, who was in seventh place after the second run, was disqualified for not getting his sled into parque fermé, the area where the skeleton sleds are inspected before they go down the Sliding Centre, in a timely manner. Roberts withdrew prior to the start of the third run. Only the top 20 skeleton racers competed in the fourth and final run. Montgomery came from behind to edge Dukurs in the fourth run.
|Rank||Bib||Athlete||Country||Run 1||Run 2||Run 3||Run 4||Total||Behind|
|5||Jon Montgomery||Canada||52.60||52.57||52.20 TR||52.36||3:29.73||+0.00|
|1||Martins Dukurs||Latvia||52.32 TR||52.59||52.28||52.61||3:29.80||+0.07|
|5||12||Zach Lund||United States||53.04||52.85||52.57||52.81||3:31.27||+1.54|
|6||6||Kristan Bromley||Great Britain||52.91||52.89||52.70||52.80||3:31.30||+1.57|
|11||14||Ben Sandford||New Zealand||53.11||53.32||52.90||53.26||3:32.59||+2.86|
|14||9||Eric Bernotas||United States||53.23||53.55||53.33||53.16||3:33.27||+3.54|
|17||13||John Daly||United States||54.08||53.65||53.23||53.05||3:34.01||+4.28|
|18||16||Adam Pengilly||Great Britain||53.75||54.17||53.36||53.23||3:34.51||+4.78|
|22||27||Cho In Ho||South Korea||54.46||54.42||54.28||2:43.16|
|24||Iain Roberts||New Zealand||55.21||57.58||DNS|
- 2010 Winter Olympics Skeleton schedule. - accessed 8 November 2009.
- 2006 Winter Olympics men's skeleton results. - accessed 8 November 2009.
- FIBT World Championships 2009 men's skeleton results. - accessed 8 November 2009.
- "Staehli to miss Vancouver Games". - 15 January 2010 UniversalSports.com article accessed 28 January 2010.
- Whistler Sliding Centre World Cup 5 February 2009 men's skeleton results. - accessed 8 November 2009.
- FIBT Skeleton World Cup Igls 23 January 2010 men's results. - accessed 23 January 2010.
- FIBT Skeleton World Cup final men's rankings. - accessed 23 January 2010.
- FIBT Announces Olympic Qualifying Quotas. at the Fédération Internationale de Bobsleigh et de Tobogganing (20 January 2010 article accessed 21 January 2010.)
- FIBT skeleton men quotas for the 2010 Winter Olympics. - 20 January 2010 article accessed 21 January 2010.
- Olympic Quotas Updated After Reallocation. at the Fédération Internationale de Bobsleigh et de Tobogganing (26 January 2010 article accessed 27 January 2010.)
- 26 January 2010 FIBT Nations who have qualified for men's skeleton at the 2010 Winter Olympics. - accessed 27 January 2010.
- Vancouver2010.com skeleton athletes. - accessed 1 February 2010.
- 2010 Winter Olympics 17 February 2010 Skeleton men's start. - accessed 18 February 2010.
- "Canada's Douglas disqualified in men's skeleton." - 19 February 2010 CBC.ca article written by Mihira Lakshman accessed 20 February 2010.
- "Canada's Montgomery pips Latvian for skeleton gold." - 19 February 2010 Vancouver2010.com article accessed 20 February 2010.
- 2010 Winter Olympics 18 February 2010 Skeleton men run 1 results. - accessed 19 February 2010.
- 2010 Winter Olympics 18 February 2010 Skeleton men run 2 results. - accessed 19 February 2010.
- 2010 Winter Olympics 19 February 2010 Skeleton men run 3 results. - accessed 20 February 2010.
- 2010 Winter Olympics 19 February 2010 Skeleton men run 4 results. - accessed 20 February 2010.