|This article does not cite any references or sources. (February 2008)|
The area is a largely hilly terrain, mostly downwind from Lake Erie, Lake Ontario and the Finger Lakes, along the Eastern Continental Divide between the Great Lakes, the Mississippi River and Susquehanna River watersheds. The result of this is that through orographic lift, a significant amount of lake effect snow falls there during the months of November, December and January.
The portion of ski country in Western New York is defined by a geologic formation known as the Chautauqua Ridge.
- Mountain View at Edinboro - in Edinboro, Pennsylvania
- Ski Denton - in Coudersport, Pennsylvania (slightly outside the general definition of ski country)
- Peek'n Peak - in Clymer, New York
- Cockaigne Ski Resort - in Cherry Creek (town), New York (no longer in operation)
- Holiday Valley - in Ellicottville (town), New York
- Holimont - in Ellicottville (also offers Nordic skiing)
- Mount Hermanns - in Olean, was the first ski resort in the area and was established in the 1930s. It closed after several decades of operation due to competition from other, newer resorts in the area.
- Kissing Bridge - in Glenwood, New York within the town of Colden
- Buffalo Ski Club - in Colden
- Swain Ski Resort - in Grove, New York
- Bristol Mountain - in South Bristol, New York (also offers Nordic skiing)
- Greek Peak - in Virgil, New York near the city of Cortland
- Labrador Mountain - in Truxton, New York
- Dry Hill Ski Area - in Watertown, New York
- Snow Ridge Ski Resort - in Turin, New York
- Toggenburg Mountain - in Fabius, New York
- Brantling Ski Slopes - in Sodus, New York
- Art Roscoe Ski Area at Allegany State Park in Red House, New York
- Letchworth State Park in Livingston County, New York
- Long Point State Park on Lake Chautauqua near Maple Springs, New York
- Keuka Lake State Park in Jerusalem, New York
A complete list of cross-country ski areas in New York can be found at New York State's ski portal.
- Clark, Bob (March 24, 2013). Remember when ... Olean was Ski City? Olean Times Herald. Retrieved March 25, 2013.