Skidaway Island, Georgia
|Skidaway Island, Georgia|
Location in Chatham County and the state of Georgia
|• Total||17.9 sq mi (46.3 km2)|
|• Land||16.4 sq mi (42.4 km2)|
|• Water||1.5 sq mi (3.9 km2)|
|Elevation||10 ft (3 m)|
|• Density||386.3/sq mi (149.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1867245|
Skidaway Island is an exclusive census-designated place (CDP) in Chatham County, Georgia, United States. The population was 8,341 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Savannah Metropolitan Statistical Area. It is one of the most affluent communities in the United States. The island is well known for its waterfront properties and golf courses within The Landings, one of the largest gated communities in the country. Skidaway Island is home to the Skidaway Institute of Oceanography, a research institution operated by the University of Georgia and used by scholars and researchers from the Georgia Institute of Technology, Savannah State University and Georgia Coastal College.
Skidaway Island is located at .(31.927434, -81.042505)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 17.9 square miles (46 km2), of which, 16.4 square miles (42 km2) of it is land and 1.5 square miles (3.9 km2) of it (8.45%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 6,914 people, 3,193 households, and 2,701 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 422.7 people per square mile (163.2/km²). There were 3,491 housing units at an average density of 213.4 per square mile (82.4/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 97.57% White, 0.48% African American, 0.01% Native American, 1.37% Asian, 0.16% from other races, and 0.40% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.77% of the population.
There were 3,193 households out of which 13.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 82.8% were married couples living together, 1.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 15.4% were non-families. 14.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.16 and the average family size was 2.35.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 11.2% under the age of 18, 2.0% from 18 to 24, 9.3% from 25 to 44, 38.1% from 45 to 64, and 39.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 61 years. For every 100 females there were 94.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.6 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $96,395, and the median income for a family was $107,013. Males had a median income of $80,486 versus $42,188 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $63,851 (the highest in the state). About 0.7% of families and 1.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including none of those under age 18 and 0.3% of those age 65 or over.
- Bobby Thomson, baseball great, who died at his home there on August 16, 2010.
- Dorothea Orem, Nursing Theorist. Died at her home on Skidaway Island on June 22, 2007.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Fox and Weeks: Funeral Directors: Obituary for Robert Thomson, accessed August 21, 2010
- Paid obituary for Bobby Thomson, Scripps Treasure Coast Newspapers, August 21, 2010, p. B-4, accessed August 21, 2010
- Skidaway Institute of Oceanography in New Georgia Encyclopedia
- Skidaway Island Weather Center: Live Weather Station on Skidaway Island