||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guidelines for companies and organizations. (January 2010)|
SkinCeuticals is the name of a skin care line founded in 1994 by co-founders Alden Pinnell and Russell Moon. The products were based on a combination of antioxidant ingredients developed and patented by Sheldon R. Pinnell, M.D., the J. Lamar Callaway Professor Emeritus of Dermatology at Duke University Medical Center. Dr. Pinnell’s research demonstrated that certain combinations of antioxidants in specific concentrations could protect human skin from damage caused by sunlight and pollution resulting in oxidative stress. Specifically, the antioxidants had an anti-inflammatory effect on skin. The basic science was developed into cosmetic formulae that could be applied topically to protect skin.
L’Oreal purchased SkinCeuticals in 2005, in what was honored as the “Deal of Year/Southwest” award from The Deal finance and business magazine. Mr. Moon and Mr. Pinnell also were named “Entrepreneurs of the Year/Southwest Division” by Ernst & Young in 2003.
SkinCeuticals sells its products through a specialized distribution network including dermatologists, cosmetic surgeons, and high-end spas. Its headquarters remain in Dallas, Texas while sales reach more than 35 countries.
SkinCeuticals has adopted a multidisciplinary approach to product development. Networks of top scientists from the fields of cellular and molecular biology, chemistry, biophysics, and medicine have been formed to further the understanding of the skin aging process and individual skin conditions.
- Use of milk thistle extract in skin care compositions - Issue date: Feb 25, 2003. Patent number: 6524599
- Methods for treating fungal infections - Filing date: Aug 14, 2003 U.S. Classification 514723000; 424061000
- Topical composition comprising olive leaf extract - Issue date: Jun 1, 2004. Patent number: 6743449
- Skin-care composition - Issue date; Jan 9, 2007. International Classification A61K007/06; A61K035/78
- Stabilized ascorbic acid compositions and methods - Issue date: Feb 20, 2007. Patent number: 7179841
- PATENT PENDING: Anti-aging composition containing phloretin - Filing date: Mar 20, 2007. U.S. Classification: 514/456; 514/458; 514/474; 514/569; 514/733; 514/725