|Origin||San Francisco, United States|
|Genres||Groove metal, nu metal|
|Labels||Crash Music, Century Media|
|Associated acts||Re:Ignition, Defiance|
Steve Green (Snake)
|Past members||Mike Roberts
Skinlab is a groove metal band formed in 1994 in San Francisco, California by vocalist/bassist Steev Esquivel (who used to sing in the Bay Area thrash metal band Defiance) and guitarist Mike Roberts, now with San Francisco Bay Areas RAZE the STRAY, guitarist Gary Wendt (who played for the Bay Area thrash band Sacrilege B.C. and currently fronts alt/metal band The Ghost Next Door), and drummer Paul Hopkins (the lineup having since been altered). After releasing 3 full length studio albums and an EP, they disbanded in 2003 following the departure of two core members.
Following the band's demise, vocalist/bassist Steev Esquivel and guitarist Steve "Snake" Green went on to form Re:Ignition. The band's debut album, Empty Heart, Loaded Gun, was released in November 2006 through Corporate Punishment Records.
After a three year hiatus, the band featuring line-up of Steev Esquivel, Snake, Glen Telford and Paul Hopkins had reformed and were currently rehearsing with plans for a new album in 2009.
Following the recording of Skinlab's latest effort, The Scars Between Us that came out in September 2009, and according to Esquivel, performed quite badly sales-wise, guitarist Glenny Telford once again left the band. He was replaced by Brian Jackson (formerly of the Las Vegas band Kreep). As of June 2011 Ex-Rikets guitarist Provo took over Guitar duties opposite Snake.
Skinlab's sound can best be described as groove metal. They have been extensively compared to Machine Head. Both originated in the Bay Area, were formed at approximately the same time, and are said to have similar-sounding debut albums. While Machine Head has since changed their sound from their debut (returning to the groove metal sound on their 2003 album Through the Ashes of Empires), Skinlab is still generally credited with having stuck to their original sound, though their album Revolting Room, received lukewarm reviews and accusations of being nu metal by some critics.
- Steev Esquivel - vocals, bass guitar (1994–present)
- Steve "Snake" Green - guitar (1998–present)
- Paul Hopkins - drums (1994–present)
- Provo - guitar (2011–present)
- Brian Jackson - guitar (2009)
- Gary Wendt - guitar (1995–1997)
- Scott Sargeant - guitar (1998–2003)
- Julian Peach - guitar (2010-2011)
- Glenny Telford - guitar (2003, 2006–2009)
- Mike Roberts - guitar (1994–1998, 2010)
- Adam Albright- guitar (2007)
- Studio albums
- Bound, Gagged and Blindfolded (Century Media, 1997)
- Disembody: The New Flesh (Century Media, 1999)
- ReVoltingRoom (Century Media, 2002)
- The Scars Between Us (Stand and Deliver Records, 2009)
- Other releases
- Circle of Vengeance (self-released, 1995)
- Suffer (self-released, 1996)
- 1997 Demo (self-released, 1997)
- McIver, Joel (2002). Nu Metal: The Next Generation of Rock & Punk. Omnibus Press. p. 112. ISBN 978-0-7119-9209-2.
- Steev Esquivel interview for Stefan Topuzov's Music Vault
- BLABBERMOUTH.NET - SKINLAB Parts Ways With Guitarist GLEN TELFORD... Again
- BLABBERMOUTH.NET - SKINLAB Announces New Guitarist