||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014)|
The brothers were both born in the 1980s in Oyo State, Nigeria. They attended The Staff School, University of Ibadan and The International School, University of Ibadan. The duo developed an interest in music shortly after they graduated from secondary school. Shortly after that, they had to part ways as Tumininu went to study Geography at the University of Lagos while Atewo studied Law at the University of Ibadan.
Their father is a musician, director and producer. Recognising their talent he involved them in a nationwide awareness tour of the War Against Indiscipline (WAI) program where they performed in the presence of the then Head of State, Gen Ibrahim Babangida and other notable Nigerians. He then featured them in a TV commercial for Sungass in 1988; the result showed that the boys were a natural at entertaining. Noting them to be raw talents waiting to be tapped, he involved them in Children Celebration Theatre (CCT), a TV series and a host of other short plays. These activities increased their confidence in front of the camera, added a little to their acting skills and made them some money. They then featured in the 'Census 91' advert. They have always worked together, composing and recording over 40 songs.
The brothers reunited in 1999 in preparation to start a music career under the name "Skuki".
Their debut single, "Fire," stayed on the Africa Edition of the Channel O Top 10 Chart for four months and was number one for four consecutive weeks. Their singles "Stamina" featuring "MoÇheddah" and "Banger" featuring "DJ Zeez" have brought them awards and prominence.
Skuki had another hit for 2013 B.A.D an acronym for ‘BEAUTIFUL AND DIFFERENT’. SKUKI B.A.D Video which was shot in Cape Town, South Africa and premiered on MTVbase Africa spanking New and SOUNDCITY, currently enjoying airplay on terrestrial and international music channels and has garnered over 130,000 views on YouTube under one week of its release. They have released a club and dance track which they titled "Voom-Va" which features the Ibo rapper Phyno. "Voom-Va" is currently on most charts on radio stations across Nigeria and is popular in clubs. Their current single "Gbemileke" features production skills by producer Shizzi, and has received airplay in Nigeria and other African countries. The video for the song was released in June 2014. The song has traditional Fuji baseline and the video was shot in South Africa.
- "Banger" (featuring DJ Zeez)
- "Stamina" (featuring Mo' Cheddah)
- "Take You Home"
- "Sho ti Gbo"
- "Move It"
- "Voom Va" (featuring Phyno)
- "Gbemileke" (featuring Shizzi)
Awards and nominations
- Best New Musician - (Won)
- 2010: Best Group - (Nominated)
Dynamix All Youths Awards
- 2010: Most Promising Act - (Won)
- 2010: Song of the Year - (Nominated)
- 2010: Best New Act - (Nominated)
- Next Rated - (Won)
Best New Act Nomination Controversy
On 30 May 2014, Skuki rejected a nomination for the "Best New Act" at the 2014 Nigeria Entertainment Awards. The duo released their debut album B.A.N.G.E.R in May 2010, and won the Next Rated award at The Headies 2010.
- "New Gbedu: Skuki – Shanor". Gbedutainment. May 17, 2011.
- "SKUKI'S ARTIST PROFILE". I Want Airplay.
- Abimboye, Micheal (31 May 2014). "Pop duo, Skuki, reject Nigerian Entertainment Awards nomination". Premium Times. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- "NEA Awards 2014 Winners List". tooxclusive. 1 September 2014. Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- Abimboye, Micheal (31 May 2014). "Pop duo, Skuki, reject Nigerian Entertainment Awards nomination". Premium Times. Retrieved 3 July 2014.
- "Next Rated". The Net. 30 May 2010.
|Awards and achievements|
|Next Rated Award