Skunk refers to strains that are strong-smelling, and have been likened to the smell of the spray from a skunk.
Skunk cannabis is a strain of the plant-based drug known as marijuana. The term 'skunk' refers to the strong smelling odour, similar to that of the animal skunk. This type of cannabis is believed to have originated in the Middle East prior to its development and growth in European countries. Similar to other varieties of marijuana, skunk weed is commonly produced inside, under specialised grow lamps or in a greenhouse environment. Skunk is a hybrid of Cannabis sativa and Cannabis indica, thus the combination of these two strains is considered to produce unique and conflicting effects that separate skunk weed from other types of marijuana. Additionally, this particular strain of cannabis is considered to be a more potent form of the drug as it contains 2-3 times more THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) than standard marijuana. THC is thought to be the main active ingredient in cannabis, and its higher concentration in skunk weed has raised concerns regarding its potential negative psychological effects. Skunk cannabis, along with traditional marijuana, is typically used for recreational use but is becoming popular amongst the medical community as a form of pain medication and management. Skunk weed, similar to standard and various other strains of cannabis, has physiological and psychological side effects. These side effects include: rapid heart rate, increased blood pressure, increased rate of breathing, red eyes, dry mouth, increased appetite, slowed reaction time, distorted sense of time, paranoia, magical thinking, short-term memory loss, anxiety and depression. Although these characteristics are often present in all forms of marijuana, due to its higher potency, it is presumed that these side effects are stronger when skunk weed is smoked. While skunk and marijuana in general can produce negative side effects, it is also used to aid individuals with severe medical conditions. Therefore, the debate as to whether or not marijuana should be decriminalized is an ongoing issue found in politics and media in all parts of the world. Currently, cannabis along with other forms of the drug such as skunk weed, are legal through prescription in The Netherlands, Belgium, Canada, Colombia, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Ecuador, France, India, Iran, Mexico, North Korea, Pakistan, Switzerland, Spain, Uruguay and 20 various states in the U.S.
- Digby Generic
- Early Pearl/Skunk #1 x Northern Lights #5/Haze - 2nd High Times Cannabis Cup (1989)
- Ham & Cheese and Ramen
- Haze x Skunk #1 - 5th High Times Cannabis Cup (1992)
- Island Sweet Skunk
- Orange bud
- Skunk #0 / Prime Skunk / Ur-skunk / Original Skunk / The Eden Strain
- Skunk #1 - 1st High Times Cannabis Cup (1988)
- Northern Lights #7
- Skunk - 4th High Times Cannabis Cup (1991)
- Skunk #9
- Skunk #11
- Brotman, Barbara (April 2, 2012). "Skunk smell spreading like weed through city". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- ElSohly MA, Ross SA, Mehmedic Z, Arafat R, Yi B, Banahan BF (January 2000). "Potency Trends of delta9-THC and Other Cannabinoids in Confiscated Marijuana from 1980 to 1997". Journal of Forensic Sciences 45 (1): 24–30. PMID 10641915.
- Identification of candidate genes affecting D9-tetrahydrocannabinol biosynthesis in Cannabis sativa
- B. Smith. "Jack Herer Seeds - Cannnabis Cup winning strain". Weed-seeds.net. Retrieved 2012-01-31.