|Studio album by Tavares|
|Genre||R&B, soul, disco|
Sky High! is the fourth album by American soul/R&B group Tavares, released in 1976 on the Capitol label. Their first album with Freddie Perren at the production helm, Sky High! includes R&B-flavored tracks of the kind for which the group had become known via their earlier albums, but is best remembered for its two disco-oriented tracks "Heaven Must Be Missing an Angel" and "Don't Take Away the Music", whose combination of the group's soulful vocals and harmonies with Perren's glossy, shimmering production have proved enduringly popular. These singles also broke Tavares in the United Kingdom, where both reached the top 5 and the album made the top 30. In the United States, Sky High! peaked at #24 on the pop chart and #20 R&B.
The success of the singles from Sky High! contributed towards Tavares' double-edged reputation, which persists to a considerable extent, of being a disco group. This is particularly the case in the UK, where the group's earlier albums and singles were all but unknown outside the specialist soul music market. Though never a single, the track "Bein' With You" has been embraced by the Carolina Beach/Shag Music community.
"Mighty Power of Love" has a footnote in UK music history as the first single to be released commercially to stores in 12-inch format in early 1977.
- "Mighty Power of Love" (Freddie Perren, Keni St. Lewis) - 3:58
- "Ridin' High" (St. Lewis, Feliciano Tavares) - 4:05
- "To the Other Man" (Johnny Baylor, Luther Ingram, Johnny Northern, Randall Stewart) - 4:34
- "Heaven Must Be Missing an Angel" (Perren, St. Lewis) - 6:32
- "Bein' With You" (Perren, St. Lewis) - 3:45
- "Wonderful" (Homer Banks, Carl Hampton) - 4:00
- "Guiding Star" (Perren, St. Lewis) - 6:34
- "Don't Take Away the Music" (Perren, St. Lewis, Christine Yarian) - 6:18
- "Heaven Must Be Missing an Angel (Part 1)" (US Pop #15, US R&B #3, UK #4)
- "Don't Take Away the Music (Part 1)" (US Pop #34, US R&B #15, UK #4)
- "Mighty Power of Love" (UK #25)