|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (May 2008)|
||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (September 2009)|
|Genres||Melodic death metal|
Pivotal Rockordings (2007–present)
|Past members||Andreas Edlund
Skyfire was formed in the town of Höör, Sweden in 1995 by Andreas Edlund (guitar), Martin Hanner (bass guitar), Jonas Sjögren (guitar) and Tobias Björk (drums). The four were friends since high school and had similar tastes in music. The band recorded two demos: Within Reach and The Final Story. On the second demo, the vocals were performed by Henrik Wenngren. Skyfire got in touch with band members of Thyrfing who helped them find a record label with Dutch label Hammerheart Records. During two weeks in August 2000, Skyfire recorded their debut album Timeless Departure in the Abyss Studio.
In September 2002, the band recorded their second album Mind Revolution, again in the Abyss Studio with new drummer Joakim Jonsson. Mind Revolution was released in 2003 and showed the band's style evolving and branching off into different musical genres. The third album Spectral was recorded at Los Angered and Studio Underground and released on May 10, 2004, by Arise Records.
The vocalist Henrik Wenngren left the band and was replaced by Joakim Karlsson.
On January 7, 2008, Skyfire announced on their official MySpace page that they had signed with a Florida-based label, Pivotal Rockordings, for a three-album deal, and the band entered the recording studio to begin recording their fourth untitled album. Mixing was done by Scar Symmetry's Jonas Kjellgren at Black Lounge Studios.
On May 15, 2009, Skyfire announced a digital only EP entitled Fractal for a July 2009 release. The EP is a collection of B-sides recorded between 2004's Spectral and Esoteric. Fractal was released July 6 for digital download.
Skyfire's fourth album is titled Esoteric, and it was released on September 14, 2009 in the United Kingdom via Pivotal Rockordings. The album was released on September 18, 2009 in the rest of Europe, and in North America on October 13, 2009, due to a scheduling issue. The cover art was created by Pär Olofsson, who also made covers for Brain Drill, Psycroptic, Spawn of Possession, Persuader and others.
- Martin Hanner − bass, synthesizers (2004−present); guitar, synthesizers, (1995−2004)
- Joakim Johnsson − drums, guitar (2001−present)
- Johan Reinholdz − guitar (2005−present)
- Joakim Karlsson − vocals (2007−present)
- Andreas Edlund − guitar, synthesizers (1995−2015)
- Tobias Björk − drums (1995−2001)
- Jonas Sjögren − bass (1995−2005)
- Henrik Wenngren − vocals (1998−2007)
Demos and EPs
- Within Reach (1998)
- The Final Story (2000)
- Haunted by Shadows (2003)
- Fractal (2009)
- "Skyfire Digital-Only EP Now Available for Download". July 6, 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-10.
- "Skyfire To Release 'Esoteric' In The Fall". blabbermouth.net. March 4, 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-25.
- "Skyfire Delays "Esoteric" North American Release Date". July 18, 2009. Retrieved 2009-07-22.
- "Skyfire: 'Esoteric' Artwork Unveiled; Studio Video Footage Available". August 30, 2008. Retrieved 2009-04-25.