|Key people||Thor Culverhouse (President and CEO)|
Illumita was founded by Brian Bershad, Hank Levy, and Steve Gribble, a trio of University of Washington professors who had done research on virtualization and cloud computing, as well as graduate student David Richardson. Illumita changed its name to Skytap in 2008, and launched its first product, Skytap Virtual Lab, in April of the same year. Skytap received early funding from the Washington Research Foundation. As of 2011, the organization is funded by the Madrona Venture Group, Ignition Partners, Bezos Expeditions, and OpenView Venture Partners. Skytap Virtual Lab has since expanded in scope, and was renamed Skytap Cloud in 2008.
Skytap Cloud uses a browser-based interface for all system management, and hosts a library of pre-configured virtual machine images. Using either these images or their own imported VMs, users can create sharable configurations of one or more machines, and securely connect to active machines via a proprietary java applet. Like other IaaS services, Skytap Cloud is principally used for developing, testing, and demoing software. In 2011, Skytap won the Best of VMworld award in the Public/Hybrid Cloud Computing Technologies category for Skytap Cloud.
- Kanaracus, Chris (April 10, 2008). "Startup Pushes Virtual Labs as a Service". PCWorld. Retrieved March 14, 2012.
- Dudley, Brier (April 10, 2008). "Seattle startup Skytap rents out virtual lab space to software developers". The Seattle Times. Retrieved March 14, 2012.
- Timmerman, Luke (January 4, 2011). "Skytap, Fresh Off Boston-Led $10M Financing, Seeks to Make Cloud Computing Work Better". Xconomy. Retrieved March 14, 2012.
- Huang, Gregory T. (January 3, 2011). "Skytap Scores $10M More, Led by Boston Investor OpenView". Xconomy. Retrieved March 14, 2012.
- Cook, John (April 10, 2008). "Illumita is now Skytap, unveils first product". Seattle Post-Intelligencer. Retrieved March 14, 2012.
- "Investors". Skytap. Retrieved March 14, 2012.
- Marshall, David (September 5, 2011). "TechTarget Announces "Best of VMworld" 2011 Award Winners". VMblog. Retrieved March 14, 2012.
- “Skytap Continues Public Cloud Onslaught.” Networkcomputing.com. November 16, 2011. Retrieved January 2, 2012.
- “Virtualization Roundup: Four Lab Managers Tested and Reviewed.” PCworld.com. June 9, 2010. Retrieved January 2, 2012.
- “Skytap Raises $10 Million for Cloud Automation Solutions.” Techcruch.com. December 31, 2010. Retrieved January 2, 2012.
- “Venture Firms Give Startup a Vote of Confidence.” The Seattle Times. August 10, 2007. Retrieved January 2, 2012.