|Type||Public (SEHK: 0751)|
|Founder(s)||Huang Hongsheng, Stephen Wong|
|Key people||Zhang Xuebin, CEO, Executive Director Ms. Ding Kai, Executive Director Mr. Leung Chi Ching, Frederick, Executive Director Ms. Lin Wei Ping, Executive Director, Mr. Yang Dongwen, Executive Director Mr. Cheng Kin Chung, CIO|
|Products||Set-top boxes, televisions, A/V security products, mobile phones, auto electronics, and precision dies|
Skyworth (创维), full name Hong Kong Skyworth Digital Holdings Co., Ltd., is a Chinese holding company. Its subsidiaries design, manufacture and sell televisions and audio-visual products. They also invest in properties. Headquartered in Nanshan High-tech Park, Shenzhen, as of 2010, Skyworth has operations in Hong Kong and Inner Mongolia as well as in locations like Guangdong Province at Shenzen, Guangzhou, and Dongguan.
The company refers to itself as an "industry cluster", but it may serve as an anchor for multiple integrated industrial-based sites. Skyworth is a member of the Chinese consortium that developed the Enhanced Versatile Disc. It is also an OEM, making televisions that retail under brand names other than its own.
Skyworth was established in 1988 or 1989 as Skyworth Industry Co Ltd in Hong Kong by Huang Hongsheng, who was later convicted of embezzlement and fraud for misappropriating tens of millions of yuan from the company he founded. Skyworth began manufacturing its first product, television remote controls, in 1990. After obtaining the licensing in 1992, the company began producing color televisions, which today remain a core product.
From 1996 to 2000 is termed by the company its "fast growth period"; during which it was the number four, in term of production volume, television manufacturing company in China. This period of growth culminated with an IPO on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange in April 2000.
After 2000, Skyworth experienced problems resulting from such quick expansion. It shuttered a small appliances unit and sold to creditors an 80% equity stake in its newly minted mobile phone subsidiary for a nominal sum.
Skyworth has experienced lower sales and tighter margins in a sector that has been slow to bring out new products. Greener LED TVs are seen as a bright spot in a gloomy market. The company does make LED TVs.
The company's core products, televisions and set-top boxes, are complemented by a variety of other products and services including leasing itself property and white goods. Skyworth is among the top three television manufacturers in its largest market, China.
Skyworth has many wholly owned subsidiaries and is partner in many joint ventures. A chart depicting its organizational structure can be found here. The below is an incomplete list.
- Shenzhen Skyworth Automobile Electronics Co Ltd
- Shenzhen Coocaa Network Technology Co Ltd
A joint venture with Netac Technology, Shenzhen Coocaa Network Technology Co Ltd provides free high-definition movie and video download services. Its first innovation product was a television that can play video from special USB flash drives.
- Shenzhen Skyworth Digital Technology Co Ltd
The second biggest subsidiary of Skyworth Group Co Ltd, its focus is on set-top boxes. It was created from the union of Skyworth Bandwidth Co Ltd and a Skyworth R&D team. It also has made Enhanced Versatile Disc players. Located in the Nanshan District of Shenzhen, it operates two factories in the city, one of which is in Shiyan county in the Bao'an District of Shenzhen, most probably at the Skyworth high-tech industrial park in Tangtou village. Skyworth Digital Technology's R&D wing is also located in the Nanshan District of Shenzhen.
- Shenzhen Skyworth-RGB Electronic Co Ltd
Skyworth Group co-established Shenzhen Skyworth-RGB Electronic Co Ltd with China Shenzhen Television Company or China Shenzhen Color TV Company and either China National Electronic Devices Company or China Electronic Component Industry Company in 1993.
- Skyworth Marco Commercial Offshore Co Ltd
Skyworth Marco Commercial Offshore Co Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary invested by Skyworth in November, 2000, and tasked with the research and development, production, sale and distribution of TV and AV products for the overseas market. It is a Chinese OEM/ODM with operations in Shenzen and Inner Mongolia.
- Skyworth Mobile Communication (Shenzhen) Ltd
Established in 2003, it manufacturers mobile phones. Due to losses and the amount of debt it has taken on, 80% of ownership in Skyworth Mobile was sold for the nominal cost of one yuan and one Hong Kong Dollar to creditors Shenzhen Baoyi and Shine Success in 2008 with the understanding that they would inject more cash into the enterprise.
- Skyworth Precision Technology Co Ltd
Located in the Skyworth high-tech industrial park the Tangtou village of Shiyan County, Bao'an District, Shenzhen, Skyworth Precision Technology Co Ltd manufactures moulds for use in the injection molding of parts for household appliances, automobile components, televisions, etc.
- Skyworth TTG Holdings Ltd
As of 2008, it had locations in the US, China, Norway, and Singapore.
- Skyworth Qunxin Security and Protection Technology Co Ltd
Other subsidiaries include: Skyworth Multimedia (Shenzhen) Co Ltd, Skyworth Photoelectric Science & Technology Co Ltd, Shenzhen Display Technology Co Ltd, Skyworth Application Electronics Co Ltd, Skyworth LCD Technology Co Ltd, Skyworth Die Plant, Skyworth Semiconductors Company, and SHENZHEN SKYWORTH QUNXIN AN FANG TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD.
Production bases and facilities
Skyworth has a number of production facilities. Television productions bases are located at the New Guangming District of Shenzhen, in the Hohhot Economic Development Area of Inner Mongolia, at Skyworth flat display industrial park in Shiyan county of the Bao'an District, Shenzhen, and at the Guangzhou Economic and Technology Development Zone in Guangzhou.
While its main manufacturing occurs in China, Skyworth may have a preference for less-easily breached, overseas R&D centers. These include offices in Hong Kong and Silicon Valley, in the US state of California. Shenzhen is also site for R&D efforts.
Research and development
In the last years, Skyworth promoted its R&D efforts. In 2006, more than 100 patent and utility model applications were filed for the first time. In 2008, the number of applications reached its maximum to date with more than 250 applications. Afterwards, the number of applications decreased slightly. The main difference between a patent and a utility model is the durability and the strength of protection. Patents are protected for twenty years, while utility models are only protected for ten years. Thus, a utility model can be described as a weaker form of patent.
The company claims CSR activities inside China that include run-of-the-mill disaster relief as well as mobile cinemas that travel throughout China enlightening benighted villagers and alerting them to the brand.
- Company Profile Skyworth Group Official Site
- "Company Profile for Skyworth Digital Holdings Ltd (751)". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- About Skyworth Skyworth Overseas Official Site
- OEM/ODM Skyworth Marco Commercial Offshore Co. Ltd. Official Site
- Skyworth Listed in Shenzhen Top 100 Enterprises Skyworth Digital Technology Co. Ltd. Official Site
- "About Skyworth". About Skyworth. Skyworth. Retrieved January 7, 2013.
- Master of Innovation? businessweek.com, APRIL 14, 2003
- Skyworth Digital Holdings Limited Annual Report 2007/08
- Founder of Skyworth released on bail chinadaily.com.cn, 2009-07-07
- Chronicles Skyworth Group Official Site
- Skyworth Plays Down Founder's Release from Prison english.caijing.com.cn, 2009-07-06
- List of Chinese Enterprise > Skyworth Group Co., Ltd. Foreign Economic Cooperation, PRC Ministry of Commerce
- ANNOUNCEMENT OF RESULTS FOR THE YEAR ENDED 31 MARCH 2007 dbpower.com
- DISCLOSEABLE TRANSACTION INVOLVING DISPOSAL OF 80% EQUITY INTEREST IN 創維移動通信技術(深圳)有限公司 (SKYWORTH MOBILE COMMUNICATIONS) singtao.com
- "Skyworth Awards". About Skyworth. Skyworth. Retrieved January 7, 2013.
- About Company Shenzhen Skyworth Automobile Electronics Co Ltd Official Site
- Skyworth and Netac set up Coocaa Network Technology Co., Ltd. jointly Skyworth Mobile Official Site
- Skyworth Profile Skyworth Official Site
- Skyworth Milestone Skyworth Digital Technology Co. Ltd. Official Site
- Chinese firms make final effort on Enhanced Versatile Disc EE Times India, 27 Dec 2006.
- Skyworth Digital's Global Sources page globalsources.com
- Skyworth Digital's Global Sources page, Factory Tour globalsources.com
- Skyworth Digital's Global Sources page, R&D globalsources.com
- About Us Skyworth Mobile Official Site
- About Us Skyworth Precision Technology Co Ltd Official Site
- Formation of Skyworth TTG Joint Venture Skyworth TTG Official Site, Press Releases, September 19, 2008
- Oracle Fusion Middleware Innovation Awards 2010 Winner - Telenor Oracle Official Site, Announcements, 2010
- Skyworth Qunxin Security and Protection Technology Co., Ltd. About madeinchina.com
- OEM/ODM Skyworth Overseas Official Site
- Skyworth forged a strategic alliance with LG Display Skyworth press release, 7 April 2008
- "Skyworth and Inview join forces to offer OTT solutions to payTV operators". Inview Techology. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Inview Technology Partner with Novatek to Launch Innovative Digital TV Platform". sys-con.com Media. 2012-04-16.
- Skyworth Group (Chinese)
- Skyworth Group (English)
- Skyworth Digital Technology Co. Ltd. (English)
- Skyworth Overseas (English)
- Photo Gallery of Skyworth TTG locations