The firm has completed a diverse range of domestic and international projects. Their work has been exhibited and published widely. The Architectural League of New York selected Slade Architecture for the 2010 Emerging Voices Lecture Series held in the New Museum. Slade Architecture has been selected by the New York City Department of Design & Construction to participate in their Excellence in Design and Construction Program in 2004, 2006, and 2009 (every time the selection has been made, since the programs inception).
Among Slade Architecture’s awards are a national AIA Small Projects Award, multiple AIA NY Merit Awards, multiple Best of Year awards from Interior Design Magazine, Association of Retail Environments Store of the Year Award, Chain Store Age Best in Show Award, Fast Company Masters of Design issue, Contract Magazine Best of the Year Award in Retail and Businessweek/Architectural Record Design Excellence Award.
Slade's work has been shown at the Venice Biennale and the Museum of Modern Art in New York. The firm's work has been published in Architectural Record Metropolis Magazine and Interior Design Magazine. Slade has completed Architectural and Interior Design projects and installations in the US, China and South Korea.
Hayes Slade, AIA
In 2002, Hayes co-founded Slade Architecture and is a licensed architect in NY. In addition to the work at her practice, she teaches interior design at Parsons the New School for Design and serves as co-chair of the Interiors Committee of the NY chapter AIA. In 2010, Hayes was selected by the Architectural League of New York for the Emerging Voices program and she served as a juror for the program the following year. Hayes has also taught a design studio at Syracuse University School of Architecture and served on a variety of other design juries including AIA awards NJ Chapter and Electrolux Design Lab.
Hayes brings an unusual, multi-faceted background to her design work. She has a Bachelor of Science and Master of Engineering degrees in civil/structural engineering from Cornell University as well as a Master of Business Administration degree from the Wharton School of Business. Prior to Slade Architecture, Hayes worked at Arup in London and NYC, and Skidmore, Owings and Merrill in NYC as well as Boston Consulting Group.
Hayes' design approach is informed by her experiences living and working in London and Rome as well as her time with other related endeavors: structural engineering, web-design/branding, jewelry design and strategy consulting. Hayes is also a dedicated mother of four.
James Slade, AIA, LEED AP
James has a Bachelor of Arts from Cornell University and a Masters of Architecture from Columbia University where he was awarded an Honor Award for Excellence in Design upon graduation. In 2002, he co-founded Slade Architecture. James was recognized by the Architectural League of New York's Young Architects Forum in 2000 and served as a juror for the program the following year. James was selected as a finalist in the 2003 MoMA /PS1 Young Architects Program. In 2010 he was selected for the Architecture League of NY's Emerging Voices program. James is a licensed architect in New York, New Jersey, Florida, Missouri, Pennsylvania and Wyoming as well as a LEED-AP, NCARB and IIDA.
He has served on the Awards Committee for the 2013 and 2014 AIA New York Chapter Awards. He has served as a juror on Ohio and Iowa Chapter AIA Awards as well as the Electrolux Design Lab competition.
In addition to his work at Slade Architecture, James has taught design studios at Parsons The New School for Design, Syracuse University, Barnard College at Columbia University, Pratt Institute, Florida International University, and Philadelphia University.
Before Slade Architecture, James was a founding partner of Cho Slade Architecture.
James has an expansive design perspective colored in part by his Colombian heritage and significant periods living abroad in London, Bogota, and Rome. In addition to all of this, James is a devoted father of four.
- Staten Island Zoo, Staten Island, NY (2014)
- Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse, Newark Airport, Newark, NY (2012)
- Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse, JFK Airport, Queens, NY (2012)
- 184 Kent Ave, Brooklyn, NY (2010)
- Flight Club, New York, NY (2010)
- W hotel Lounge for Fashion Week 2010 New York, NY (2010)
- Barbie Shanghai Flagship Store, Shanghai, China (2008)
- Kenig Residence, New York, NY (2008)
- Avalon Bowery Place, New York, NY (2008)
- Montessori Progressive Learning Center, Queens, NY (2005)
- Lever House Office Renovation, New York, NY (2004)
- Aperture Foundation New York, NY (2004)
- Monitor Hyperlink Tower Competition Entry, Milan, Italy (2004)
- Miami Residence, Miami, FL (2003)
- Nam June Paik Museum Competition Entry, Kyonggi, South Korea (2002)
- Dalki Theme Park and Shop, Heyri, South Korea (2000)
- PS1 Warm Up Competition Entry
- Ordos 100 Mongolia, China
Lectures and Exhibitions
- DIFFA: Dining by Design, New York, NY (2011, 2012, 2014)
- Center for Architecture, "Building Brands: Going Global", New York, NY (2013)
- Center for Architecture, "Small Firms | Global Reach", New York, NY (2013)
- London Design Festival, “Blueprint Cinema”, London, UK (2012)
- American Institute of Architects New York, "Design By NY, 2012 AIA Subway Show”, New York, NY (2012)
- Syracuse University, "FOR_PLAY" Exhibition, School of Architecture (2012)
- Architectural League of New York, Emerging Voices, Lecture Series (2010)
- University of Puerto Rico, School of Architecture (2009)
- 13:100 13 New York Architects Design for Ordos lecture and exhibition, Architecture League (2008)
- Deutsch Architecture Museum, Young Americans New Architecture in the USA (2007)
- Pecha Kucha New York Presenter (2007)
- A New Pleasure, AIA San Francisco, exhibition (2006)
- OPEN: New Designs for Public Space, exhibition, National Building Museum, Washington D.C. (2005)
- Barnard College Exhibition (2004)
- Venice Biennale International Architecture Exhibition, Venice, Italy (2004)
- Columbia University, Emerging Architect Visiting Professor (2004)
- American Institute of Architects New York Design Award, Winner, Award of Merit (2004, 2006, 2012, 2014)
- American Institute of Architects New York Small Project Awards, Winner, Award of Merit (2010)
- Interior Design Best of Year Awards, Winner (2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013)
- Interior Design Best of Year Awards, Award of Merit (2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011)
- FX International Design Awards, Winner (2012)
- Association for Retail Environments Winner for Store of the Year (2010)
- Architectural League of New York Emerging Voices (2010)
- Retail Design Institute Store Design Awards, Winner for Innovative Concept (2009)
- The Retail Interior Awards Winner, Best International Retail Interior (2009)
- Chain Store Age, Winner for Store of the Year, Attraction Retailing, and Cashwrap Fitting Room (2010)
- Contract magazine Interior Awards, Winner (2009)
- Fast Company Master of Design Issue (2009)
- Event Design Awards, Gold Award (2009)
- Architectural Record Business Week, Awards of Excellence (2009)
- http://www.archimagazine.com/amorph.htm (in Italian)