Slade School of Fine Art
|UCL Slade School of Fine Art|
|Director||Professor Susan Alexis Collins|
|Location||Bloomsbury, London, United Kingdom|
|Affiliations||University College London|
The Slade School of Fine Art (informally "The Slade") is a world-renowned art school in London, United Kingdom, and a department of University College London. It consistently ranks as the UK's top Art and Design educational institution.
The school traces its roots back to 1868 when Felix Slade (1788–1868) bequeathed funds to establish three Chairs in Fine Art, to be based at Oxford University, Cambridge University and University College London, where six studentships were endowed.
Two of its most important periods were immediately before, and immediately after, the turn of the twentieth century, described by Henry Tonks as its two 'crises of brilliance'. The first included the students Augustus John, William Orpen and Percy Wyndham Lewis; the second – which has been chronicled in David Boyd Haycock's A Crisis of Brilliance: Five Young British Artists and the Great War (Old Street Publishing, 2009) – included the students Dora Carrington, Mark Gertler, Paul Nash, C.R.W. Nevinson and Sir Stanley Spencer.
|The Guardian University Guide||1st|
|The Complete University Guide||2nd|
|The Times Good University Guide||2nd|
The faculty currently offers the following programs:
- 3-year BFA in Fine Art
- 4-year BA in Fine Art
- 2-academic year (18 months) MFA in Fine Art
- 2-calendar (24 months) MA in Fine Art
- 1-term, 2-term, of 1-year Graduate Affiliate Study
- MPhil or PhD in Fine Art
Notable alumni 
- Full list see Category:Alumni of the Slade School of Art
In fiction 
- Barbary Deniston in The World My Wilderness
- Pat Barker in Life Class and in Toby's Room
- Gilbert Cannan in Mendel
- Miranda Grey in The Collector
- David Thompson in Beyond This Horizon
Molly in Monarch of the Glen
See also 
- McCall, Alastair (19 September 2008). "Double first for Oxford". The Times (London). Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "Art and design". The Guardian (London). 22 May 2012.
- "Art and design". The Guardian (London). 17 May 2011.
- "The Slade School of Fine Art: Prof Edward Allington". ucl.ac.uk. 2013 [last update]. Retrieved 11 May 2013.
- "The Guardian University Guide". London. 12 May 2009. Retrieved 12 May 2009.
- "The Complete University Guide". Retrieved 30 April 2009.
- Foster, Patrick. "The Good University Guide". The Times (London). Retrieved 20 February 2009.[dead link]
- Slade Website
- Slade Knowledge Base - extensive collection of studio teaching materials available online under Creative Commons
- Slade Centre for Electronic Media in Fine Art
- Slade Centre for Electronic Media in Fine Art Timeline of key events