Slaughter (2009 film)
|Directed by||Stewart Hopewell|
|Produced by||Stephanie Caleb
|Written by||Stewart Hopewell|
|Music by||Justin Caine Burnett|
|Editing by||Greg O'Bryant|
|Studio||After Dark Films|
|Distributed by||After Dark Films|
|Running time||96 min.|
Faith (Amy Shiels) is a young woman trapped in a relationship with her abusive boyfriend, Jimmy (Vance Daniels). She flees from him and moves to Atlanta to start over again. As Faith begins her new life, she meets a fun and free-spirited young woman named Lola (Lucy Holt). Lola lives on a farm with her controlling father, Jorgen (David Sterne), her older brother, and her younger brother. Faith and Lola become good friends, and Lola invites Faith to live with her and her family to help out with the farm work. During the day, the family (and Faith) work on the farm, and at night the two young women go out on the town to party in Atlanta. Lola brings home a different man every night. Eventually Faith notices that these men disappear after their encounters with Lola, and she suspects that Lola's father is murdering them in the farm's slaughterhouse.
The film was originally titled Faithless. It was shot in Romania, where two of the producers had a strong working relationship. The script was originally written in 2006, but it was not produced until later, when a producer became associated with After Dark. It was based on a true story from 100 years ago that was modernized.
Slaughter received negative reviews. Joshua Siebalt of Dread Central rated the film 0.5/5 stars and called it "the single most boring film I have ever seen on the big screen from any genre." Dennis Harvey of Variety wrote that the film tests horror fans' patience with its long buildup, but the climax is grisly enough to satisfy them. David Johnson of DVD Verdict called it "a mediocre outing" with a few memorable scenes. Cameron McGaughy of DVD Talk rated it 1/5 stars and wrote that it fails to deliver on its exploitative title.
- Miska, Brad (November 26, 2008). "AFTER DARK HORRORFEST III (2009) FULL LINE-UP]". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved December 19, 2013.
- Miska, Brad (August 26, 2008). "After Dark Horrorfest: First Still From 'Slaughter'". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved December 19, 2013.
- Turek, Ryan (December 28, 2008). "Exclusive Interview: Slaughter’s Stewart Hopewell". Shock Till You Drop. Retrieved December 19, 2013.
- Siebalt, Joshua (January 10, 2009). "Slaughter (2009)". Dread Central. Retrieved December 19, 2013.
- Harvey, Dennis (January 12, 2009). "Review: 'Slaughter'". Variety. Retrieved December 19, 2013.
- Johnson, David (April 1, 2009). "Slaughter". DVD Verdict. Retrieved December 19, 2013.
- McGaughy, Cameron (April 20, 2009). "Slaughter". DVD Talk. Retrieved December 19, 2013.