Slauson Middle School (Ann Arbor, Michigan)
|Slauson Middle School|
|View of Slauson from Washington Street|
|1019 W Washington St
Ann Arbor, Michigan
|School district||Ann Arbor Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Gold and Red|
Slauson follows the typical Ann Arbor Public Schools season length of five 8-10 week terms. Slauson's athletics are divided into two categories: sporting clubs, and athletic teams. Slauson's sports and club teams as of April 2013[update] include soccer, field hockey, cross country, wrestling, basketball, synchronized swimming, volleyball, swimming, softball, baseball, track, and tennis.
Clubs in Slauson are typically held after school with similar schedules to clubs. They range from small hands-on activity groups to teams for nation wide competitions. Typical clubs include geobee, robotics club, drama club, and science olympiad.
Slauson has long been the only Ann Arbor middle school that participates in science olympiad. In the Spring of 2012, the Slauson won the regional championships which are held annually in Hillsdale College.
During the 2009-10 school year, a newer club emerged known as the Little Dresses for Africa. In this nationwide non-profit program, students and their families create makeshift dresses out of pillowcases for various impoverished communities of the central regions Africa. The purpose of this club was to educate students on the various economic issues typically faced in Africa.
At the beginning of each year, students are typically tested on their reading comprehension. If they do not meet a certain criteria, they are sent to READ 180, an academic support program meant to improve the reading comprehensive skills of students who struggle. READ 180 is designed to fit each student's needs by changing the classroom layout, mixed teaching methods, and smaller class sizes.
- Alan McPherson (2011). State Geosymbols: Geological Symbols of the 50 United States. AuthorHouse. p. 75.
- Michigan’s State Fossil Turns 10
- "Slauson Athletics". Ann Arbor Public Schools. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
- "Slauson Science Olympiad".
- "MSO Region 9". Michigan Science Olympiad. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
- "Slauson Middle School and our own Suette King!". Little Dresses For Africa. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
- "READ 180". Ann Arbor Public Schools. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
- "READ 180". SCHOLASTIC. Retrieved 24 April 2013.