Sligo–North Leitrim (Dáil Éireann constituency)
Location of Sligo–North Leitrim within Ireland
|County/City council||County Sligo
Sligo–North Leitrim is a parliamentary constituency represented in Dáil Éireann, the lower house of the Irish parliament or Oireachtas. The constituency elects 3 deputies (Teachtaí Dála, commonly known as TDs). The method of election is the single transferable vote form of proportional representation (PR-STV).
History and boundaries
The constituency was created by the Electoral (Amendment) Act 2005, which gave effect to the 2004 Constituency Commission Report on Dáil Constituencies and was first used at the 2007 general election. It largely replaced the previous constituency of Sligo–Leitrim, although it ceded the southern half of Leitrim to the new constituency of Roscommon–South Leitrim, though a subsequent revision in 2007 restored a portion of South Leitrim to the constituency. It consists of all of County Sligo and the parts of County Leitrim, contained in the Local Electoral Areas of Dromahair and Manorhamilton.
The Electoral (Amendment) Act 2009 defines the constituency as:
- "The county of Sligo and the county of Leitrim, except the part thereof which is comprised in the constituency of Roscommon–South Leitrim."
|Teachtaí Dála (TDs) for Sligo–North Leitrim 2007–|
Note: The columns in this table are used only for presentational purposes, and no significance should be attached to the order of columns. For details of the order in which seats were won at each election, see the detailed results of that election.
2011 general election
|2011 general election: Sligo–North Leitrim|
|Party||Candidate||% 1st Pref||Count 1||Count 2||Count 3||Count 4||Count 5||Count 6||Count 7||Count 8||Count 9|
|Fine Gael||John Perry||19.5||8,663||8,703||8,741||8,968||9,548||9,768||10,419||11,973|
|Fine Gael||Tony McLoughlin||17.4||7,715||7,778||7,891||8,127||8,320||8,699||9,493||10,981||11,508|
|Sinn Féin||Michael Colreavy||13.3||5,911||5,972||6,232||6,465||6,846||7,775||8,139||9,616||9,771|
|Fianna Fáil||Eamon Scanlon||11.4||5,075||5,097||5,165||5,235||5,625||5,699||8,389||8,942||9,125|
|Labour Party||Susan O'Keeffe||10.2||4,553||4,709||4,769||5,213||5,430||6,096||6,646|
|Fianna Fáil||Marc MacSharry||10.4||4,633||4,647||4,686||4,865||5,302||5,586|
|New Vision||Alwyn Love||1.8||779||836||881|
|Green Party||Johnny Gogan||1.0||432|
|Electorate: 63,432 Valid: 44,428 Spoilt: 409 (0.9%) Quota: 11,108 Turnout: 44,837 (70.7%)|
2007 general election
|2007 general election: Sligo–North Leitrim|
|Party||Candidate||% 1st Pref||Count 1||Count 2||Count 3||Count 4||Count 5|
|Fianna Fáil||Eamon Scanlon||23.2||9,258||9,317||9,390||9,662||10,771|
|Fine Gael||John Perry||19.8||7,910||7,952||8,086||9,493||10,363|
|Fianna Fáil||Jimmy Devins||17.8||7,102||7,168||7,288||7,904||9,187|
|Fine Gael||Michael Comiskey||12.4||4,936||5,016||5,171||6,732||7,757|
|Sinn Féin||Seán MacManus||11.7||4,684||4,784||5,075||5,769|
|Fine Gael||Imelda Henry||7.1||2,837||2,863||2,987|
|Labour Party||Jim McGarry||3.9||1,555||1,571||1,829|
|Green Party||Brian Scanlon||3.0||1,209||1,240|
|Electorate: 57,517 Valid: 39,934 Spoilt: 396 (1.0%) Quota: 9,984 Turnout: 40,330 (70.1%)|
- Parliamentary constituencies in the Republic of Ireland
- Politics of the Republic of Ireland
- List of political parties in the Republic of Ireland
- List of Irish by-elections
- Elections in the Republic of Ireland
- "Electoral (Amendment) Act 2005: Schedule". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 24 September 2010.
- "Electoral (Amendment) Act 2009: Schedule". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 29 September 2010.
- "General election 2007: Sligo–North Leitrim". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 18 February 2009.
- "General election 2011: Sligo–North Leitrim". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 1 March 2011.
- Bree campaigned as a member of the United Left Alliance.