Slippin' and Slidin'
|"Slippin' and Slidin'"|
|B-side to "Long Tall Sally" by Little Richard|
|Genre||Rock and roll, R&B|
|Writer||Little Richard, Edwin Bocage (Eddie Bo), Al Collins, and James Smith|
Eddie Bo first recorded the song in 1956 under the name "I'm Wise"; his recording was released from the Apollo label. Little Richard covered it in the same year, and changed the title to "Slippin' and Slidin'". His version is on his first album, Here's Little Richard.
"Slippin' and Slidin'" was the title of a song written by Maxwell Davis and performed by Calvin Boze and His All Stars, and released in May 1951 by Aladdin Records (3086). The song was described as "an engaging set of novelty lyrics, while combo puts down a swingy, medium shuffle." 
Over a year earlier, this song had been recorded by Gene Phillips - Jack McVea, and released on Modern (20-733). It was a fast blues with Phillips delivering in a Louis Jordan like style.
A version by J. Lewis and Trio was released on Atlantic (927) in early 1951.
- The song was covered by Dickie Pride in 1959.
- The song was covered by Buddy Holly on his album Reminiscing, and both his and the Little Richard versions were included on John Lennon's jukebox.
- The Beatles jammed a version at Twickenham during the Get Back sessions (Sulphy and Schweighardt 9.94)
- John Lennon recorded his version of the song for his 1975 album Rock 'n' Roll and on the Old Grey Whistle Test in April 1975.
- Billy "Crash" Craddock in 1973 on his album Mr. Country Rock.
- Johnny Winter in 1969 on his album Second Winter.
- Otis Redding, from his album Tell the Truth, recorded in 1967 and released posthumously in 1970.
Furthermore, The Band did a live version of the song in the Festival Express documentary. The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 also included a cover of the song in the episode "The Beauty of Kootie".
The song is featured in the film The Delinquents (1989).
- Slippin' and Slidin' by Little Richard on Allmusic
- Eddie Bo Official biography
- Eddie Bo biography on Allmusic
- Little Richard Billboard singles
- Billboard May 5, 1951 Rhythm & Blues Record Reviews. Authorship from jpg of label
- Billboard March 11, 1950 Rhythm & Blues Record Reviews p 124.
- Billboard Jan 27, 1951. Advance Rythm(sic) & Blues Record Releases. p 29.
|This 1950s R&B/soul music song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|