||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012)|
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (August 2010)|
Sloan Wainwright (born 1957) is an artist and member of the American independent music scene. Her musical style consists of a combination of folk, rock, jazz, and blues, an approach which owes itself to her time writing and performing throughout Greenwich Village.
Sloan Wainwright is a younger sister to Loudon Wainwright III, and aunt to Canadian-American musicians Martha Wainwright and Rufus Wainwright and American musician Lucy Wainwright Roche. The Wainwright family was listed in Town and Country magazine's 2013 list of America's most powerful and enduring dynasties.  She was married to George McTavey, who died in December 2008 after a long illness. They have two sons, Sam and Gabe McTavey.
Sloan is a performer best known for her rich contralto voice and personal lyrics. Her musical style combines pop, folk, jazz, and blues.
Born into a highly acclaimed musical family (youngest sister to Loudon Wainwright, aunt to Rufus Wainwright and Martha Wainwright) Sloan's teenage years were largely influenced by a constant flow of diverse artists, writers and musicians. Writing and performing, throughout the Greenwich Village scene, Sloan developed her songwriting style.
In the mid 1990s, Sloan began to collaborate with guitarist Stephen Murphy. They assembled a band and Sloan released a self-titled debut CD in 1996, 'Sloan Wainwright'. The Sloan Wainwright Band followed with a second release in 1998, a tribute in memory of her mother Martha entitled 'From Where You Are.' The third band release—in early 2001,The Song Inside, merges traditionally based folk music and more eccentric variations. After that, she released Cool Morning, featuring her rendition of U2's "Where The Streets Have No Name."
(INCLUDES ALBUMS AND TRACKS FROM EACH ALBUM)
Upside Down & Under My Heart (2011)
1. Living Out The Best Of Your Life 2. Upside Down & Under My Heart 3. Here I Am 4. I Can See Now 5. Today 6. My Song 7. I Wear The Ring 8. Holland 9. Little Bit Right 10. I Am Free
1. Time Of No Reply 2. Ring Of Fire 3. After The Gold Rush 4. Meet Me In The Morning 5. All Things Must Pass 6. Mercy Me (The Ecology) 7. There But For Fortune 8. Every Grain Of Sand 9. Love 10. Sitting Here In Limbo
Life Grows Back (2006)
1. When I Walk Away 2. Tired Of Wasting Time 3. Between The Lines 4. Wild In This World 5. Bad For Her 6. These Are The Days 7. The Baby And The Bathwater 8. Meet The Sun Halfway 9. Out Of Her Hands 10. Viking Tree 11. Something That Comes Close
On A Night Before Christmas (Live) (2005)
1. Illuminate 2. 2000 Miles 3. River 4. Blue Christmas 5. How Beautiful Are The Feet 6. Thank God It's Christmas 7. Silver Bells 8. O Come, O Come Emmanuel 9. We Three Guitarists 10. A Soalin' 11. Search The Sky 12. Christmas Is The Time To Say I Love You 13. Silent Night
Cool Morning (2003)
1. Cool Morning 2. Word Of The Day 3. Good Day To Live 4. Illinois 5. Where The Streets Have No Name 6. Illuminate 7. I Spied You 8. Ready Or Not 9. From Where You Are 10. Summertime
The Song Inside (2001)
1. Too Nice For Too Long 2. You Are The Feast 3. Wavelength 4. Bridgeburner 5. Falling Backwards 6. The Song Inside 7. Less Is More 8. Fall With Me 9. Freedom 10. Martha 11. Steven Leif 12. I Stand Up 13. Unseen Guide
From Where You Are (1998)
1. Mountain Of Sense 2. I Eye The Lady 3. Psycho Pondering 4. Don't Go 5. Here Comes The Rain 6. For My Pride 7. My New Car 8. Lament 9. I Guess I Can 10. Unravel 11. Across The Universe 12. From Where You Are
Sloan Wainwright (1996)
1. Hey Girl 2. Unseen Guide 3. Box Of Rain 4. Steal My Thunder 5. Poison Television 6. On A Windy Day (Baretrees) 7. Daddy's Water 8. Without 9. Arms Length 10. Our Love 11. Stand 12. I'm Only Listening
- Dowling Family Genealogy
- "ON THE SCENE WITH/Sloan Wainwright; Doing What Comes Naturally, Singer-Songwriter Drops Day Job". New York Times.