Slovenia at the FIFA World Cup
Slovenia have appeared in the finals of the FIFA World Cup on two occasions in 2002 and 2010. Prior to 1991 the country was part of Yugoslavia; see Yugoslavian national football team for records up to this point.
|1930 to 1994||Did not enter||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|1998||Did not qualify||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|2006||Did not qualify||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|
Slovenia at Japan/South Korea 2002
Slovenia qualified for their first World Cup in 2002 under the management of Srecko Katenec, but suffered a 3-1 defeat to Spain in their opening game. Katenec's decision to substitute midfielder Zlatko Zahovic led to an argument which saw Zahovic sent home from the tournament at Katenec announce his intention to resign as manager after the tournament. Slovenia lost their second game 1-0 to South Africa, leaving them unable to qualify from the group. The side's final game ended in a 3-1 defeat to Paraguay.
|Spain||3 – 1||Slovenia|
Hierro 87' (pen.)
|South Africa||1 – 0||Slovenia|
|Slovenia||1 – 3||Paraguay|
|Ačimovič 45+1'||(Report)||Cuevas 65' 84'
Slovenia at South Africa 2010
Slovenia were the smallest country to qualify for the 2010 World Cup. Under the management of Matjaz Kek, the side qualified for the tournament by winning a two-legged playoff against Russia despite having lost the first leg. Slovenia beat Algeria 1-0 in their opening game, and drew 2-2 with the USA having led 2-0. This meant that the side only needed to draw their final group game against England to reach the second round of the tournament. However, a 1-0 defeat to England, combined with a USA victory over Algeria, saw the side finish third in the group and fail to progress.
13 June 2010
|Algeria||0 – 1||Slovenia|
18 June 2010
|Slovenia||2 – 2||United States|
23 June 2010
|Slovenia||0 – 1||England|
- BBC Sport | World Cup | Slovenia send Zahovic home
- BBC Sport | World Cup | South Africa send Slovenia home
- BBC Sport | World Cup | Paraguay snatch vital win
- BBC Sport - Football - World Cup 2010: Slovenia boss respects England quality
- Slovenia 0-1 England | World Cup 2010 Match Report | Football | The Guardian
- "Algeria-Slovenia gets substitute ref". ESPNsoccernet.com. Associated Press. 8 June 2010. Retrieved 9 June 2010.
- "Referee designations for matches 17-24" (PDF). FIFA.com. Fédération Internationale de Football Association. 14 June 2010. Retrieved 15 June 2010.